Far Cry2 Cat 8.10 HotFix render errors

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
the quack issue is not a real issue --

amd does app detection. so does nvidia. this is not new. nvidia used to substitute shaders back in the GF6 days. currently the majority of app detection is still done to resolve sli and crossfire issues, but it is still done for single card issues as well, especially when new games come out.

the goal isn't to "cheat" it is to do things in the best way for specific games.

we'd like to see amd profiles be editable in at least as many ways as nvidia's are. but that's a complaint we've had for a long time.

also, i can confirm that AMD is working on a fixed fix. i had a version that still needs more tweaking, but they said they'd get another one out soon.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
Originally posted by: wolf2009
drivers released

http://support.ati.com/ics/sup...ledge&questionID=38664

oh wow ... and there it is ;-)

now .. and i am asking for pure speculation

IF this issue got no publicity and was reported - in the usual manner - do you think we would have a new hotfix by now?

i DO know that potential negative publicity will light a fire under any company's ass

i also "know" someone in AMD/ATi's driver team got called on the carpet and got his butt chewed out
[look at the way CatalystMaker responded at that other site's thread]

i think it is kinda cool, they pulled a couple of guys aside and said - fix it - NOW!!

after all it IS FarCry2 and very popular - it was a shame to put up with crappy performance from a hot "fix"

Now what i want to see is the performance of the new driver vs the the regular driver vs the old broken hot fix
- that will tell us something
rose.gif

this evening

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
DX10 Still hitching.

Update with new drivers. DX10 still hitching, but original IQ problem was fixed. Really until DX10 hitching is solved it's worthless to even benchmark cause it's not playable even when the frame rates are good.

Enjoy :beer:

Benchmarks Results

Benchmark New 8.10 hotfix AI on
Benchmarks 8.10 hotfix AI on
Benchmarks 8.10 hotfix AI off
Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

Ingame Results

Ingame NEW 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI off
Ingame 8.11 Beta

Guess it's back to DX9.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
drivers released

http://support.ati.com/ics/sup...ledge&questionID=38664

oh wow ... and there it is ;-)

now .. and i am asking for pure speculation

IF this issue got no publicity and was reported - in the usual manner - do you think we would have a new hotfix by now?

i DO know that potential negative publicity will light a fire under any company's ass

i also "know" someone in AMD/ATi's driver team got called on the carpet and got his butt chewed out
[look at the way CatalystMaker responded at that other site's thread]

i think it is kinda cool, they pulled a couple of guys aside and said - fix it - NOW!!

after all it IS FarCry2 and very popular - it was a shame to put up with crappy performance from a hot "fix"

Now what i want to see is the performance of the new driver vs the the regular driver vs the old broken hot fix
- that will tell us something
rose.gif

this evening

YGPM

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
DX10 Still hitching.

Update with new drivers. DX10 still hitching, but original IQ problem was fixed. Really until DX10 hitching is solved it's worthless to even benchmark cause it's not playable even when the frame rates are good.

Benchmarks Results

Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

Ingame Results

Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.11 Beta

Guess it's back to DX9.

lol I just pm'ed apoppin about this.... then jumped back in here and you posted too. Thing is the hitching also happens with my hd3850 512 so it isn't hd4800 specific. But it is dx 10 specific

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
lol I just pm'ed apoppin about this.... then jumped back in here and you posted too. Thing is the hitching also happens with my hd3850 512 so it isn't hd4800 specific. But it is dx 10 specific
Yeah really this thread is a joke. Who cares about DX10 IQ when it's not playable?
Originally posted by: hclarkjr
i bet catalyst 8.11 will be out sooner over this issue
I bet Ubisoft is the only one that can fix this problem. Maybe they shouldn't have butchered DX10.1.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by: mruffin75
Please keep in mind people that this is only a game :)

As far as optimizations go based on filenames? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.. unless of course it's a synthetic benchmark, in which case it's just done for marketing purposes only.

If the engineers at ATI/Nvidia can squeeze more performance out of a game by having specific code in their driver for it, then so be it. In the end it just means that we get a better end-user experience. Now if it produces image glitches, then as long as the company looks into it, and resolves the issue, then there's no problem?

It's not so much that the game runs better, but they take things out that drag the framerates for that game down. If they coded the drivers so that a game only rendered 80% or so of the current frame correctly, you'd get a nice bump in framerate but at the cost of IQ. Basically what this whole issue was about, except this time it's a bug and not an "optimization".

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
DX10 Still hitching.

Guess it's back to DX9.

Is this even with that framerate cap command activated?

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: thilan29
DX10 Still hitching.

Guess it's back to DX9.

Is this even with that framerate cap command activated?
No it's not. Personally don't want to have to artificially fix a problem that should be there in the 1st place.

Also even when I did have DX10 running with the cap, I would still have to worry about the game crashing to the desktop with no message.

You get so far, forget to save then all of a sudden BOOM :Q it crashed to the desktop and your like SOB :| I have to do that all over again.

Sorry I'll stay with DX9 for now.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
First, you need to learn to gather facts and then process them correctly - nevermind your faulty conclusions

I actually haven't been wrong about a single thing in this thread, which makes this all the funnier. If you want to be a professional, you have to start behaving as one. Since you don't seem to have ever taken a journalism class of any type, I'll tell you what one of the first things they teach you in Journalism 101 happens to be: never stake your journalistic integrity on someone else, or their actions. You only report facts, not hopes, wishes, or hearsay.

How a professional conveys a point/message:

also, i can confirm that AMD is working on a fixed fix. i had a version that still needs more tweaking, but they said they'd get another one out soon.

Now, here's the amateur way to do the same:

AMD has a new FC2 hotfix for tomorrow!!

issue solved

See the huge difference in those two approaches, especially since the one you wrote was written ~60 hours ago?;)

BTW, this post also serves as a thread bump, for the people who weren't aware the second fix had been released.

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008

I bet Ubisoft is the only one that can fix this problem. Maybe they shouldn't have butchered DX10.1.

DX10 stuttering is only present with ATI drivers.

I am playing on 9800GT 1 GB with 180.43 drivers in DX10 with Vsync on. There is no hitching or slowdowns. Playing at 1280x1024 2xAA , at >35 fps

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: myocardia
First, you need to learn to gather facts and then process them correctly - nevermind your faulty conclusions

I actually haven't been wrong about a single thing in this thread, which makes this all the funnier. If you want to be a professional, you have to start behaving as one. Since you don't seem to have ever taken a journalism class of any type, I'll tell you what one of the first things they teach you in Journalism 101 happens to be: never stake your journalistic integrity on someone else, or their actions. You only report facts, not hopes, wishes, or hearsay.

How a professional conveys a point/message:

Now, here's the amateur way to do the same:

AMD has a new FC2 hotfix for tomorrow!!

issue solved

See the huge difference in those two approaches, especially since the one you wrote was written ~60 hours ago?;)

BTW, this post also serves as a thread bump, for the people who weren't aware the second fix had been released.

First of all your cluelessness about this matter and your inability to judge journalism is pathetic. Don't lecture me about my work and my chosen profession. i have been quite successful in my field without any input from you, up-till-now and i think i will manage fine without listening to your silly nonsense.

What a person posts on a forum is not held to the same standard as posting it in an article. i stand by what i posted in my articles and also here. Just because you are unable to comprehend my meaning, does not make me wrong.

No, i don't see the different approaches and frankly i don't give a crap if you ever read another post or article of mine since you have a basic inability to comprehend them. Neither you nor your posts are anything special.

==============
Originally posted by: lavaheadache
DX10 Still hitching.

Benchmarks Results

Benchmarks 8.11 Beta

Ingame Results

Ingame 8.10 hotfix AI on
Ingame 8.11 Beta

Guess it's back to DX9.

i just got home from work .. and strangely .. i am at work

anyway .. i am going to jump back into my FC2 testing and compare the performance of the new hotfix drivers with the old ones

since the performance still appears to be an issue, try what i did for the regular Cat 8-10 which worked - generally - to minimize the stuttering and make it generally playable:

You could open the console and type:

gfx_maxfps 25

try it and let us know it it works .. i will be back with some results .. as i work on part 3 of my article
rose.gif

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008

DX10 stuttering is only present with ATI drivers.

I am playing on 9800GT 1 GB with 180.43 drivers in DX10 with Vsync on. There is no hitching or slowdowns. Playing at 1280x1024 2xAA , at >35 fps
I'm read some mix things about it also happening of nvidia, but for the most part yes it's ATi related.

Any News on a fix for Nvidia DX10 stuttering and mass slow down?
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...821007696/m/5701018996

MICROLAGS / STUTTERING with dx10
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...821007696/m/9521027696

Same here micro stuttering with good fps 50+

tested with 4870 and new driver

and 8800gtx and new driver.

DX9 run smooth, but with 10-20 frames less then DX10-.but micro stuttering is bad.

On my Geforce GTX260 core 216 video card, using beta 180.42 drivers I have the micro stuttering problem too in DX10. So it's not just with ATI cards.

There's no excuse why this game should of came out hitching and crashing on ATi cards. After what happen with AC, it's clear that Ubisoft doesn't know how to properly implement dx10.1.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
There's no excuse why this game should of came out hitching and crashing on ATi cards. After what happen with AC, it's clear that Ubisoft doesn't know how to properly implement dx10.1.
Why do Nvidia cards have no problem with it?
- it runs awesome on my GTX280 :p
- it also runs good on the 4870x2

so, unless you cap the framerates, your GT260s and 4870s are too slow until it gets optimized better - or you need to turn down details or resolution in DX10 [which is kinda sad and the reason to play DX10 in the first place, imo]

[Btw, that was a rhetorical question; FC2 is a twiimtbp game; ATI's driver team did not have much time with the game to get it running right - obviously - lack of time is probably the problem and they undoubtedly were rushed. Give them another month; by the time you are done playing, it will be patched]
rose.gif

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
@apoppin

I'm already done playing it. Even got all the weapons, including the golden AK47. Sorry I'm not waiting, already onto fallout 3 and then dead space.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
using the gfx_maxfps command my hitching is virtually eliminated. I set it at 45 fps because using 25-30 fps was too low for my tastes but 45 was great. Thanks for the help Apoppin. btw, I'm playing on my hd4870 rig 1920x1200 max details 2x AA and vsync... 100% smooth and playable

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...ate-nvidia-accuses-ati

We were pointed to a thread over at Anandtech where Nvidia fanboy and focus group member nRollo seemed to be banging on about the image quality of some rocks (yes really... rocks. Small stones scattered about on the floor).

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (sorry if this has been posted, long thread and I'm lazy)

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yup. This thread caught the attention of that old UK vulture...

Originally posted by: Sable
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...ate-nvidia-accuses-ati

We were pointed to a thread over at Anandtech where Nvidia fanboy and focus group member nRollo seemed to be banging on about the image quality of some rocks (yes really... rocks. Small stones scattered about on the floor).

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (sorry if this has been posted, long thread and I'm lazy)

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
unbelievable, usually i just read nrollo's post for amusement but this looks like he may have bit off more than he could chew this time

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: hclarkjr
unbelievable, usually i just read nrollo's post for amusement but this looks like he may have bit off more than he could chew this time

As impressive as The Inquirer's reputation and track record are, I'm not feeling anything but amused by the mention.