Far Cry2 Cat 8.10 HotFix render errors

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: myocardia
Good news

AMD has a new FC2 hotfix for tomorrow!!

How exactly do you know this?

Because it is my job to know these things
Because the ATI Catalyst rep over at HardForum said so.

Why is it so difficult to give someone credit?
I agree. It seems like a simple enough thing just to cite the HardForum ATI rep and give the guy credit for informing his customer base, instead of making people wonder what "inside sources" the info came from and how reliable the info is...

450R

Feb 22, 2005
I agree. It seems like a simple enough thing just to cite the HardForum ATI rep and give the guy credit for informing his customer base, instead of making people wonder what "inside sources" the info came from and how reliable the info is...

*insert knee-jerk reaction here*

The link in apoppin's sig gives full credit. It probably would've been clearer had he just linked to it in the first place, but it's not like he was trying to hide it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Good news

AMD has a new FC2 hotfix for tomorrow!!

How exactly do you know this?

Because it is my job to know these things
Because the ATI Catalyst rep over at HardForum said so.

Why is it so difficult to give someone credit?

You love to quote HALF of what i said, don't you

i did give credit:
Because it is my job to know these things; click on the top link in my sig - you will have all the *proof* you need, plus some another image of the bugged drivers to look at

i didn't feel like Cutting and pasting the entire thing and i gave credit where it counted. if you didn't follow the link, then you would not understand.

and it IS my job to know these things :p

someone else clearly gets it:
The link in apoppin's sig gives full credit. It probably would've been clearer had he just linked to it in the first place, but it's not like he was trying to hide it.
By decision of the ATF administration, i am NOT ALLOWED to post links to ABT *except* in my sig .. but i can point to it. . . . IF you had *bothered* to look. if not - your loss, Keys and Amber.
rose.gif

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I did look. And I also looked when you posted links to your site over at the [ H ]. Sorry, but I like to get straight answers to questions without needing to go to off-site links.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I did look. And I also looked when you posted links to your site over at the [ H ]. Sorry, but I like to get straight answers to questions without needing to go to off-site links.

i posted ONE link at HardOCP and i did NOT start that thread

too bad what you like; i do things my way
:p

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
if not - your loss, Keys and Amber.
rose.gif
I think Keys' response was actually aimed at me ;), for not giving you credit for the amount of hours you've put into this effort. My response to him was intentionally tongue-in-cheek.

My overall reaction to this whole thing still stands though. I care more about why this game apparently runs like crap on a single HD4870 or HD4850 depending on the driver and DX version. And you all are still focusing on a graphical glitch that's going to be very trivial to most gamers, I feel like. I don't really agree with the "detracts from game play" comment.

Giving you another example taken from what I'm currently playing atm (Titan Quest).
Graphical glitch that doesn't impact gameplay: the physics engine causing corpses to contort/stretch/twitch in bizarre ways
Glitch that has serious gameplay implications: I get a massive framerate hit and stuttering on all five of my characters whenever I reach the endgame area and fight the final boss :Q

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
if not - your loss, Keys and Amber.
rose.gif
I think Keys' response was actually aimed at me ;), for not giving you credit for the amount of hours you've put into this effort. My response to him was intentionally tongue-in-cheek.

My overall reaction to this whole thing still stands though. I care more about why this game apparently runs like crap on a single HD4870 or HD4850 depending on the driver and DX version. And you all are still focusing on a graphical glitch that's going to be very trivial to most gamers, I feel like. I don't really agree with the "detracts from game play" comment.

Giving you another example taken from what I'm currently playing atm (Titan Quest).
Graphical glitch that doesn't impact gameplay: the physics engine causing corpses to contort/stretch/twitch in bizarre ways
Glitch that has serious gameplay implications: I get a massive framerate hit and stuttering on all five of my characters whenever I reach the endgame area and fight the final boss :Q

Ok, we're cool then. Perhaps i misunderstood you and Keys. Sorry.

what we did was get AMD to look critically at their hotfix .. since they agreed with us and found a *bug*, perhaps they will also fix the performance issues. And i got HD4870/1GB to run reasonably well with the regular 8-10 with the FPS cap in console .. better than with the hot "fix" drivers; perhaps AMD will implement something like this also in this next hotfix driver.
rose.gif

i have enough trouble keeping up with the latest AAA title; nevermind Titan Quest, which i have but is not even opened yet
- i am working on a review which MMORPGS play on dialup [so far Guild Wars, WoW and LotRO run great; i get to try AoC next] :p

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
Originally posted by: Wreckage
So is this Quackgate all over again?

could be ......

but so far we know that it is a bug and ATI is releasing new drivers with that fixed today

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Because it is my job to know these things;

Really? What company's name is on your paycheck? I didn't realize you were an AMD employee.

perhaps i took too many short cuts for you .. read the info .. if AMD says it is a BUG and they have a FIX for it .. then .. logically .. issue solved

Actually, using your same flawed logic, the first FC2 hotfix would be all they would need to release.;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Because it is my job to know these things;

Really? What company's name is on your paycheck? I didn't realize you were an AMD employee.

perhaps i took too many short cuts for you .. read the info .. if AMD says it is a BUG and they have a FIX for it .. then .. logically .. issue solved

Actually, using your same flawed logic, the first FC2 hotfix would be all they would need to release.;)

what does being an AMD employee have to do with anything?
:confused:

i have a job that requires me to keep up with this kind of news; but then you never bothered with my link :p

finally, using your flawed logic we would never get anywhere but continue to waste time with semantics. AMD has released a - now self-acknowledged - buggy hotfix beta driver. *Their solution* is to release another hotfix driver for it; that is *their* problem solved

--unless someone finds another glaring flaw .. then it becomes a NEW problem

finally, the more people who look for and *report* bugs, the better it is for the Cat team to fix problems

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

So you are an AMD employee?

finally, using your flawed logic we would never get anywhere but continue to waste time with semantics. AMD has released a - now self-acknowledged - buggy hotfix beta driver. *Their solution* is to release another hotfix driver for it; that is *their* problem solved

Actually, you still have alot to learn about how the process of drawing conclusions works, quite obviously. Their problem being solved would be having their problems fixed. Until that happens, nobody on earth should be proclaiming "problem solved", like you did last night.;)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

So you are an AMD employee?

Actually, you still have alot to learn about how the process of drawing conclusions works, quite obviously. Their problem being solved would be having their problems fixed. Until that happens, nobody on earth should be proclaiming "problem solved", like you did last night.;)

I think Apoppin means it's his job as an Editor of Alien Babel Tech. He's not employed by AMD to my knowledge.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
no i am NOT an AMD employee
:roll:

what does [even the possibility of] being an employee of AMD have to do with this thread?

i think you are the one who is logic-challenged, myocardia

EDIT: i see Rollo has got it right; i think everyone else gets it

Clearly, if i posted an article that proved the buggyness of the hotfix driver, it is my job to keep abreast of the situation and report the fix - as i promised

--btw, i still don't see AMD's new hot fix; it might have either been harder to patch that the Cat Maker thought or else they are giving it more thorough testing [is what i would guess] :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
a German forum :p

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/...?p=6839899#post6839899

the source of the bugs are AMD's driver team
- i see this site is more accusatory
Conclusion: Bug or Cheat
It wouldn't be anything special, if this faux pas actually is a "hidden? optimization that results in more fps. In over ten years of graphics card history, both, Ati as well as Nvidia, took such missteps. We are currently waiting for a statement from AMD/Ati.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Conclusion: Bug or Cheat
It wouldn't be anything special, if this faux pas actually is a "hidden? optimization that results in more fps. In over ten years of graphics card history, both, Ati as well as Nvidia, took such missteps. We are currently waiting for a statement from AMD/Ati.

If it were a cheat, wouldn't renaming the .exe change things? Whereas, if it were a bug, wouldn't the output be the same either way.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

what does [even the possibility of] being an employee of AMD have to do with this thread?

That's only because you don't have the slightest idea on how to draw a conclusion, it seems. See below for more information on the subject.

Clearly, if i posted an article that proved the buggyness of the hotfix driver, it is my job to keep abreast of the situation and report the fix - as i promised

Actually, unless you'receiving paychecks from that link, it's still your hobby. BTW, 48 hours ago, you said not only was the problem completely fixed, it would already be in the hands of the people who needed it. Now, which one of us needs to learn how to properly draw conclusions?:confused:

mruffin75

May 19, 2007
Please keep in mind people that this is only a game :)

As far as optimizations go based on filenames? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.. unless of course it's a synthetic benchmark, in which case it's just done for marketing purposes only.

If the engineers at ATI/Nvidia can squeeze more performance out of a game by having specific code in their driver for it, then so be it. In the end it just means that we get a better end-user experience. Now if it produces image glitches, then as long as the company looks into it, and resolves the issue, then there's no problem?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

That's only because you don't have the slightest idea on how to draw a conclusion, it seems. See below for more information on the subject.

Actually, unless you'receiving paychecks from that link, it's still your hobby. BTW, 48 hours ago, you said not only was the problem completely fixed, it would already be in the hands of the people who needed it. Now, which one of us needs to learn how to properly draw conclusions?:confused:

edit:
here you go ,,,
http://support.ati.com/ics/sup...ledge&questionID=38664

Let me fix your confusion: it is my job; not my hobby

First, you need to learn to gather facts and then process them correctly - nevermind your faulty conclusions based on your flawed comprehension of the issue and your inability to follow any of my links

i quoted Kyle Bennet - owner and editor of HardOCP and Cat Maker - that AMD was aware of the faulty hotfix and THEY projected the fix - very soon
- i just report the news .. and i am updating my article right now
rose.gif