Far Cry 3: Anyone else excited?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
In fact, what would be the point of death at all if it put you back in the same place? There is already practically no penalty for dying.

FC3's death systems is incredibly similar to World of Warcraft's and I guess that's why I dont mind it. . You die, you respawn, but it's way back at a 'safe area'. Difference being in WOW you HAVE to walk from the safe area to your corpse. If FC3, you just respawn at the safe area.

chelhxi

Sep 11, 2008
Cool game. Not only do I no longer have a camera or rocks due to a bug, now I'm in the saving Oliver mission, and when I go up to the ledge with the sniper rifle the screen goes black and stays black. All this praise for the game and for a lot of people it's unplayable. I find it odd that reviews never mention game breaking bugs, especially when they are as widespread as these ones are. If you haven't bought this game yet, I would hold off for a few months until they finish making the game. *Goes back to playing Baldur's Gate EE* Also, lately for some reason my character casts only the shadow of a bow.... Thats right, I don't even have a bow equipped, but whenever an actual shadow is visible there is a disembodied bow floating through the air. In answer to the question of this thread title "Are you excited" I say hell yes! Excited!

Last edited:

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well... driving around the island is kind of boring now. I've captured all of the bases on the island and have only encountered maybe 1 or 2 resistance forces [which are already in a fire fight with my comrades] which aren't part of the main mission [currently dealing with Buck].

It's annoying that I can't take a boat across the water to the other island [which I assume is to prevent me from breaking the story].

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Well... driving around the island is kind of boring now. I've captured all of the bases on the island and have only encountered maybe 1 or 2 resistance forces [which are already in a fire fight with my comrades] which aren't part of the main mission [currently dealing with Buck].

It's annoying that I can't take a boat across the water to the other island [which I assume is to prevent me from breaking the story].

Just do some of the main story and then you'll go over to the other island and get to explore all over again. Although that island is probably only half the size.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Cool game. Not only do I no longer have a camera or rocks due to a bug, now I'm in the saving Oliver mission, and when I go up to the ledge with the sniper rifle the screen goes black and stays black. All this praise for the game and for a lot of people it's unplayable. I find it odd that reviews never mention game breaking bugs, especially when they are as widespread as these ones are. If you haven't bought this game yet, I would hold off for a few months until they finish making the game. *Goes back to playing Baldur's Gate EE* Also, lately for some reason my character casts only the shadow of a bow.... Thats right, I don't even have a bow equipped, but whenever an actual shadow is visible there is a disembodied bow floating through the air. In answer to the question of this thread title "Are you excited" I say hell yes! Excited!

Cause you seem to be the only one to be experiencing them. Though I understand your frustration.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Cause you seem to be the only one to be experiencing them. Though I understand your frustration.

Yeah I haven't heard reports of those bugs else where. Are your video drivers up to date? You may want to try the most recent beta drivers, and if your video cards overclocked try setting it back to defaults. I played the game for about 25 hours and didn't experience any of the problems you're describing.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Odd. While I've encountered plenty of bugs, they were all in the multiplayer portion of the game, which is a bug-riddled mess.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yeah I haven't heard reports of those bugs else where. Are your video drivers up to date? You may want to try the most recent beta drivers, and if your video cards overclocked try setting it back to defaults. I played the game for about 25 hours and didn't experience any of the problems you're describing.

Video drivers aren't going to play in to what he's describing. He has a ruined save game at this point from a game bug. It can happen. It sucks when it does. That's really part of why I have daily backups of my systems. If I encounter something like this, I can just restore whatever state I had 24 hours prior. It sounds like in his case, he played a scene that restricts you to a single weapon (there are a few) and the game's mechanism for doing that is to remove all your other items, and then add them back when that scene is over. It apparently didn't add his back.

You always need backups of anything you find important, and save files, in a way, are.

The only bug like that I've had is when I had a mission to go to a place, kill 3 people, and take their pictures, I killed one of the three before I triggered the "you are at the place" checkpoint, and it didn't count him as dead. Once I killed the other two, it realized he was dead, and told me to take pictures, but I could never take pictures of that first dead guy. Of course, I just reset the mission. In his case, once he saved (Which it likely auto-saved when he finished), he was screwed.

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
The only bug like that I've had is when I had a mission to go to a place, kill 3 people, and take their pictures, I killed one of the three before I triggered the "you are at the place" checkpoint, and it didn't count him as dead. Once I killed the other two, it realized he was dead, and told me to take pictures, but I could never take pictures of that first dead guy. Of course, I just reset the mission. In his case, once he saved (Which it likely auto-saved when he finished), he was screwed.
Is this the mission you get at Badtown? If so, you don't actually have to kill anyone, just take pictures...

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
This was a mission that I was explicitly told:

• Go to X
  • Kill the 3 people
  • Take pictures of the bodies
Each step had a mission progress indicator. Go to place, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 for kills, then the same for pictures.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
This was a mission that I was explicitly told:

• Go to X
  • Kill the 3 people
  • Take pictures of the bodies
Each step had a mission progress indicator. Go to place, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 for kills, then the same for pictures.

Pictures for the guy who wants to show the people pictures of dead pirates?

They are already dead, you just gotta find the bodies. :p

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Nope, different mission entirely. These guys were most definitely alive when I got there.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Well, I figured out my problem anyways. Far Cry 3 will not launch if you point RadeonPro to it's exe. If I try and use RadeonPro on FC3 it disappears from Uplay. If I shut it off the game is back. Blows because I wanted to use the dynamic framerate limiter to smooth out the low spots in my FPS.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Soooooo, how many people are listed in the credits? I thought I let all of it play out but I think I ended up hitting a key ending it after an hour or so.

Oh and the latest patch fixed the key binding issues as far as I can tell. Just in time for me to play the last hour or 2 of the game. :/

chelhxi

Sep 11, 2008
So Ubisoft has fixed the camera\rock crashing issue with the latest patch. If you google it you'll see it was actually a fairly common problem, lot of people were stuck restarting the game after encountering it. I can't complain though, at least they fixed it fairly quickly. First thing I did after patching was throw rocks at an alligator and take pictures of my impending death.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Oddly, I've developed a framerate issue in cut scenes that wasn't present when I started.

edit: fixed, SLI bits for new driver didn't work well. I found a better working one online.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Soooooo, how many people are listed in the credits? I thought I let all of it play out but I think I ended up hitting a key ending it after an hour or so.

Oh and the latest patch fixed the key binding issues as far as I can tell. Just in time for me to play the last hour or 2 of the game. :/

my friend and i finished Future Soldier a few weeks ago and watched the credits. It was also over an hour long.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Could be a deluxe edition/DLC mission.

I'm pretty sure the main campaign has a mission where you need to take out three guys as one of them is holding something you need to get. Don't recall having to take pictures of them though.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting ending... :)

Not sure if I want to continue just to complete the achievements/side missions though... It's not really much fun without some baddies to fight.

Hopefully they'll release a patch/something that'll respawn the bases as they were extremely fun to capture on the 2nd island. :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure the main campaign has a mission where you need to take out three guys as one of them is holding something you need to get. Don't recall having to take pictures of them though.

That's the mission where you have to access the room on the ship the medusa. Each guy had a key code or something. But you didn't need to take a photo.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001

Same bug for me! (PS3). I read on the official ubi forum (by another user) that it could be due to the knife-throwing target mini-game, but I'm not sure.

All I am doing now is capturing bases on the big island (game wont let me go to the other island). If there is no patch released soon, i'm just going to trade the game to Amazon.. and not complete out the story!! :(

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Am I the only guy on earth that thinks this is the most craptastic game ever? I love first person shooters. I absolutely despise the lame ass crafting and gathering shit. This thing just drags along from one boring area to another.

I can't believe that I paid fifty bucks for this piece of shit.