Far Cry 3: Anyone else excited?

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
so this website is for computer savvy people and computer nerds right? why do you all have so many problems with computers?

seriosuly, i see all these complaints about DRM and certain games/apps and i never have a problem with them. what am i (or you ) doing differently?

It's crashed on me once and I know better than to just blame the game. Other than that, it's ran flawlessly. Not sure why everyone is having issues.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
One of the downsides of PC gaming is that devs can't account for every possible hardware configuration or software conflict and inevitably some people have issues. With that in mind I quickly rooted out my own crashing problem which was a software conflict that had nothing to do with the game itself and it ran flawlessly.

Hell, the infamous Fallout NV only crashed on me like 2-3 times in all the time I spent playing it but as always YMMV.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
so this website is for computer savvy people and computer nerds right? why do you all have so many problems with computers?

seriosuly, i see all these complaints about DRM and certain games/apps and i never have a problem with them. what am i (or you ) doing differently?

The game itself runs great. Uplay has decided that I no longer own their game for whatever reason.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
One of the downsides of PC gaming is that devs can't account for every possible hardware configuration or software conflict and inevitably some people have issues. With that in mind I quickly rooted out my own crashing problem which was a software conflict that had nothing to do with the game itself and it ran flawlessly.

Hell, the infamous Fallout NV only crashed on me like 2-3 times in all the time I spent playing it but as always YMMV.

Mine crashed a lot more once I installed a buttload of mods.

But without plugins I think my first crash came at the 18 hour mark and in a 40 hour game I had about 3 of them.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006

It's true. Most games run flawlessly for me, but there are always weird anomalies.
Like on my laptop - I tried playing Burnout Paradise and it would crash right when you create your license, every single time.
Finally found out that it was something to do wit my laptops built in webcam. Once I disabled it, it ran perfectly.
I've had zero problems with Far Cry 3 for what it's worth.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
did they ever fix those annoyances, like onscreen stuff? i had to quit playing it, it annoyed me so much, felt like i was playing COD again. Of course i don't expect fixes for the other stuff like overbright sky and lime green grass which makes me feel like i'm playing a console game but whatever.

dinker99

Feb 18, 2012
I find the Save system in this game absolutely infuriating.

The best game of the year so far me is Black Mesa, you hit F6 and it saves - then you hit F9 and you are back exactly where you were when you saved.

With Far Cry 3 you can save (sometimes) but when you load it you are somewhere else entirely.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
yeah, save system sucks....can;t during a mission? wtf?

also, can you not sell hides any more? I thought I sold some before but now I get no option to sell them

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm really enjoying big game hunter simulator 2013.... I mean farcry 3.

I could never get in to the first one, but going around murdering specific animals to make bigger bags apparently makes it my kind of game... Now where are those boars hiding?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
So finally Ubisoft responds to my support ticket 48 hours later. They tell me to reply with my cd key on a public forum....

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm really enjoying big game hunter simulator 2013.... I mean farcry 3.

I could never get in to the first one, but going around murdering specific animals to make bigger bags apparently makes it my kind of game... Now where are those boars hiding?

Ah yes, the elusive boar. I spent a lot of time trying to find those bastards. So good luck.....

No, jk. Use the map and zoom in far enough to where the animal symbols show up. You can see where the boars are that way.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ah yes, the elusive boar. I spent a lot of time trying to find those bastards. So good luck.....

No, jk. Use the map and zoom in far enough to where the animal symbols show up. You can see where the boars are that way.

All I see are pigs (I was already using the symbols) :/ Ahh the boar icon has tusks. I may not have any unlocked yet in my map.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Finally found the boars and got my ammo pack up to the highest level without quest specific leather.

Amusingly, for my last tiger skin, I was almost out of bullets, and had died on a tiger a few times. I was following it, trying to figure out the best way to headshot it enough times to kill it with my 4 or 5 bullets. It got run over by a jeep that didn't bother stopping.

My ammo pouch has some tire tracks on it, but at least I can hold a decent amount now.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Re: the save system

Yeah it's not great, but compared to the new Hitman game it is a walk in the park. Man the new Hitman game has a save system designed to pad out the game and just piss you off. Ruined the game for me.

Madia

May 2, 2006
I just picked this up (hard copy) off of amazon (US) for $40. I figure 20% off is the cheapest I'm going to find it for a while. I was tempted to pick it up at launch but figured I wait a month or so for the major bugs to be patched. Plus I have Baldur's Gate EE to get through. Hopefully by the time I finish it and get to FC3 the annoying Hud and any major bugs will be fixed.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
All I see are pigs (I was already using the symbols) :/ Ahh the boar icon has tusks. I may not have any unlocked yet in my map.

yeah, if you're not very far then you won't see it. its not until you unlock later parts. I think it's one to the south.

i love running over animals with vehicles...dogs/tigers/bears/boars/deer with a jeep, sharks with a boat, lol.

Also love watching predators attack the pirates. so hilarious. and awesome when the predator clears out a whole outpost for you. This has happened to me twice now. Once was a tiger, the 2nd one was a bear.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Got the bright idea to back up the game files and then reinstall everything to try and fix my problem. Steam was kind enough to not place any of the restoration exe's into the backup so I have an 11gb file I can't do anything with now. Redownloading now =(...

This is the first major issue I've had as a PC gamer in a really long time. Possibly since as far back as trying to get sound to work in games like Tie Fighter way back when in DOS. Very annoying.

Amit3945

Jul 29, 2006
"I find the Save system in this game absolutely infuriating.
The best game of the year so far me is Black Mesa, you hit F6 and it saves - then you hit F9 and you are back exactly where you were when you saved.
With Far Cry 3 you can save (sometimes) but when you load it you are somewhere else entirely."

This is SERIOUSLY infuriating.
It COMPLETELY kills the flow, especially when you are mauled by a tiger /boar and have to restart from a bloody safe house/nearest tower which is nowhere near the area where you were killed.
Do these dev's really understand what they have created?...a beautiful world ripe for exploration marred by a horrific save system that goes completely againt the exploration theme.
Is it really difficult to create a user friendly save system for a open world game?
Even JC2 totally screwed it up....beautifull huge world with a horrific save system.

Is it possible to create a mod that allows us to save anywhere and load at THE EXACT SAME SPOT?.....I remember the original FC had a check point system, but you could save & load anywhere thru a console command or something.

All the UI enhancement mods created so far + save anywhere would totally make FC3 a game where I would like to wander for hrs.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Played a lot more tonight and found a good side mission. Forgot what it was called, but it had an orange wheel looking thing. It was called a lost something mission or whatever. It was like a story mission and I thought they were all done. This game rocks.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Played a lot more tonight and found a good side mission. Forgot what it was called, but it had an orange wheel looking thing. It was called a lost something mission or whatever. It was like a story mission and I thought they were all done. This game rocks.

There is a mission you can unlock with Uplay points.

chelhxi

Sep 11, 2008
Was really loving this game until it's bugged out on me. I played that second knife throwing game you come to, and all my weapons disappeared... Ok no problem, I'll just get my weapons back from a safe house - but wait! I've also lost my camera and rocks, so now I have no way of getting these back. I just hope there aren't any mandatory missions using these things, as I can't access them at all. I also lost all my ammo which was a pain, as I had stockpiled a huge amount. This is the last time I pay full price for a new game, hopefully ubishaft fixes this soon.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I find the Save system in this game absolutely infuriating.

With Far Cry 3 you can save (sometimes) but when you load it you are somewhere else entirely.

I've gotten used to it. It simply respawns you near the closest safe house or tower.

Missions usually spawn the the beginning of the mission.

The fact that you can't respawn where you die makes it more of a rush to journey out from safe areas. I think that's the sole reason it is the way it is.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The fact that you can't respawn where you die makes it more of a rush to journey out from safe areas

In fact, what would be the point of death at all if it put you back in the same place? There is already practically no penalty for dying.