Everything that sucks about my Ryzen build

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I needed my own thread, which is typically a bad sign, but there's already enough Ryzen related topics in CPU & motherboard forums. There's a laundry list of things that I need to figure out so I think that this should be helpful. Anyway, on to the issues at hand:

this would be the 1700 on the MSI Pro Carbon - BIOS dated 3/17

1. Bootup - seems like the process is mega slow and often times the board reverts to defaults or hangs with the "BOOT" debug LED lit. Sometimes a hard reset will fix this but most of the time it will not. I have successfully booted windows @ 4Ghz with RAM at 29XX, and it is remarkably stable, but it still doesn't like to boot up.

2. No video - as I mentioned before I think this is a AMD chipset issue... because I had nearly the same problem on my AM3+ board and the 290X I was using (DisplayPort). Like the 290, this 480 doesn't seem to want to produce video from DP but the DVI works fine. Because of this, I have been forced to use a secondary monitor to navigate BIOS menus and M-flash. Not awful, but not ideal either. This Polaris card never did anything like that on the Z170 board (also using DP).

3. USB - Can't really explain this one... my mouse works at boot time/BIOS but my keyboard does not. Settings indicate that all USB functions are enabled, yet the kb doesn't seem to work at all until windows is up and running. Could this be a port type issue?

4. Shut down - this one is weird too... occasionally, well most of the time, the computer will not shut down completely and the "CPU" debug LED will remain lit. When this happens, I need to do a hard reset and then manually shut it down. Super wonky, and I don't really know the cause of that yet.

5. SSD performance - Nit picking a bit here but my boot SSD doesn't seem to be quite as fast as it was when attached to the Z170 board's storage chipset. It's a PNY CS1311 so middle of the road, but I'm wondering if perhaps there is something else I can do to improve the performance aside from swapping ports.

Help on any or all of these would be appreciated. The computer seems to be fine once Windows 10 is running, but the POST and shut down issues are probably the most annoying.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You may have to wait as more BIOS updates are released to fix these issues.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Just hope the bios updates can fix them and they are not inherent to a rushed to market motherboard.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Things like those little issues make me want to avoid the RyZen and AM4 platforms, for maybe 4-6 months. Ah well. Maybe the stock of mobos will improve by then.

Looking forward to a monster 12C/24T or 16C/32T version, that's rumored to be released, a sort of HEDT RyZen.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The board is fully covered against defects for a year with the protection plan... but honestly if I had to strip the build down completely I probably wouldn't bother rebuilding it--at least not right away or just wait for AM4+

The shitty part is my Skylake machine is now partially dismantled and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Easily the most hassle-free system I've had in years. Just worked, seemingly no matter what.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Computer didn't want to boot up at all this morning. Debug LED are kinda useless because the manual doesn't really elaborate it just indicates what component is bugged. I did notice that the GPU LED did come on a few times and the brilliant explanation for that was to: (drumroll)

install a GPU.

Will pull the CMOS battery and start over, I don't think loading defaults really helps all that much.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Sounds like a typical AMD build of any era to me!

But seriously, there are major issues with every architecture release... consider it an extra early adopter tax. Had to send back my Sandy Bridge P67 motherboard when all of those chipsets were recalled... what a pain.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Reason why I will never want to be a guinea pig for 1st gen product.

Feb 25, 2011
When Supermicro releases a Ryzen workstation motherboard, buy that.

Or maybe the closest ASRock equivalent.

Reactions: IEC

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The odd part is how stable it runs once it finally gets there. I can absolutely pummel the machine with processes and from what I can tell there aren't any problems.

Once it's shut down or restarted, though, all bets are off. I'll just be patient because I don't feel like tearing it down again--unless it absolutely came down to that.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
bit of an update... middle of the road as far as progress goes however.

I was able to confirm, per a different post, that the graphics card does not produce video from either DisplayPort upon cold start, but DVI works fine (alone or with DP). Using only DP results in the 'BOOT' LED lighting up and yada yada yada nothing ever happens. DVI works 100% of the time, which is great, but not when your monitor is 1440p Freesync.

It's not a cable issue, because using the same card and DP cable with the Z170 board there are no issues upon startup. Adding to the fact that this was also happening on my ASUS Crosshair V AM3+ board and it leads me to believe it's AMD chipset related. That sucks, because as far as I know it was never fixed on the older platform when I ran the R9 290X + DP.

I also noticed that my Radeon software started acting up again on this machine; reinstalling it took forever for whatever reason. I had all sorts of fun little glitches appearing on screen after the software completed installation too--never a good sign. A restart seemed to clear that up but oh my what a lot of muck to wade through. Windows 10 seems to want to download updates every time I log on which probably doesn't help either.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
bit of an update... middle of the road as far as progress goes however.

I was able to confirm, per a different post, that the graphics card does not produce video from either DisplayPort upon cold start, but DVI works fine (alone or with DP). Using only DP results in the 'BOOT' LED lighting up and yada yada yada nothing ever happens. DVI works 100% of the time, which is great, but not when your monitor is 1440p Freesync.

It's not a cable issue, because using the same card and DP cable with the Z170 board there are no issues upon startup. Adding to the fact that this was also happening on my ASUS Crosshair V AM3+ board and it leads me to believe it's AMD chipset related. That sucks, because as far as I know it was never fixed on the older platform when I ran the R9 290X + DP.

I also noticed that my Radeon software started acting up again on this machine; reinstalling it took forever for whatever reason. I had all sorts of fun little glitches appearing on screen after the software completed installation too--never a good sign. A restart seemed to clear that up but oh my what a lot of muck to wade through. Windows 10 seems to want to download updates every time I log on which probably doesn't help either.

You may want to RMA yout GPU, i have the same card, MSI gaming X 480 8GB and have no issues with DP on my ryzen build. Im using dual monitors with DP on one and DVI on the second and they both work fine.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The card never gave me any trouble on the Intel board and it's the same OS. Do you get video via DP when the DVI is completely disconnected?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The card never gave me any trouble on the Intel board and it's the same OS. Do you get video via DP when the DVI is completely disconnected?

Yes, i set it up and did the initial windows install with just the DP connected, then once windows was installed i added the DVI monitor. I didnt know how windows installer would handle dual displays so i wanted to keep it as simple as possible while installing.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
it would have likely just cloned the displays as default until drivers installed... but I'm not 100% on that.

in order to get my video working on the 480 DP port it seems like the DVI just needs to be in use--in order for the mobo to recognize that there's actually a GPU installed. super wonky, but it will boot every single time as long as DVI is connected. i used the same card and monitor with skylake, so it's gotta be the X370 chipset and not card BIOS. i might see what happens if I attach a second DP or HDMI to the card, or maybe even the back of the motherboard just for kicks.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
no progress made so...

plan bravo in effect. newegg didn't have the ASRock Fatal1ty Pro in stock, but I was able to bundle it with the 1800X. I do not want to use said processor, so that will likely be sold off to a fellow AT member. MSI board is probably going to be returned, considering there is still no BIOS available and further testing is proving that the board is pretty unreliable--at least the turd I got anyway.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
no progress made so...

plan bravo in effect. newegg didn't have the ASRock Fatal1ty Pro in stock, but I was able to bundle it with the 1800X. I do not want to use said processor, so that will likely be sold off to a fellow AT member. MSI board is probably going to be returned, considering there is still no BIOS available and further testing is proving that the board is pretty unreliable--at least the turd I got anyway.

Nice board spec wise....hopefully it will perform better.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
pains me to shell out that much for another board, but after the refund and selling off the other processor an extra 70 bucks is totally doable.

got FedEx tracking info, and no notices regarding stock of either component, so I'll just try again :confused_old:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Sorry you're having so many issues and the DP being the biggest. I'm with VirtualLarry. I'm waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out. That and HEDT Ryzen.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
This reminds me its not just old age. I don't particularly like changing things up anymore as most times with tech the new stuff is nothing but fluff and buggy to boot. Its not like going from a Pentium 4 -> Core 2 -> Sandy Bridge no more. Now even if there is a difference its likely rushed to market. Meh.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
This reminds me its not just old age. I don't particularly like changing things up anymore as most times with tech the new stuff is nothing but fluff and buggy to boot. Its not like going from a Pentium 4 -> Core 2 -> Sandy Bridge no more. Now even if there is a difference its likely rushed to market. Meh.
It depends on a exact build, entirely, I have sandy rig with bug-free B3 P67 chipset and that PC works flawless, had one blue screen and one freeze in 5 years of daily use, but I can't compare its reliability, I skipped Pentium IV and Core II eras and had subsequent AMD equivalents but they were disaster reliability-wise, I spent more time fixing them than using them.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Either that board's BIOS is not stable, or you have a defective GPU or motherboard. Or maybe some weird hardware incompatibility.

I have none of the issues mentioned in the OP on any of my boards ranging from $79.99 to $209.99. I also use DP to connect my monitors.

Ryzen 1700 + MSI B350M Gaming Pro --> XFX RX 480 RS 8GB --> DP --> Monitor

Ryzen 1800X + ASRock Taichi --> Sapphire Fury Nitro --> DP --> Mon 1 and DP --> Club3D Adapter --> Mon 2

So, it's not the AMD chipset to blame, IMO. Of the boards, I'd say my ASRock Taichi is the furthest along in official BIOS support (ver 2.00 stable rel 4/6) and I've been running rock-solid at 3.8GHz @ 1.23V for the past two days.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
the micro star gpu and z170 board have been paired again since they work without any issue; i picked up another sapphire nitro 480 to pair with the asrock board even though the first sapphire card seemed DOA. stuff should arrive Wednesday but i wont be able to test it all out until the weekend.