'Everyone in US under virtual surveillance' - NSA whistleblower

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
http://rt.com/usa/news/surveillance-spying-e-mail-citizens-178/

The FBI records the emails of nearly all US citizens, including members of congress, according to NSA whistleblower William Binney. In an interview with RT, he warned that the government can use this information against anyone.

Binney, one of the best mathematicians and code breakers in the history of the National Security Agency, resigned in 2001. He claimed he no longer wanted to be associated with alleged violations of the Constitution, such as how the FBI engages in widespread and pervasive surveillance through powerful devices called 'Naris.'

This year, Binney received the Callaway award, an annual prize that recognizes those who champion constitutional rights and American values at great risk to their personal or professional lives.

William Binney: Yes, that’s what I’ve been basically saying for quite some time, is that the FBI has access to the data collected, which is basically the emails of virtually everybody in the country. And the FBI has access to it. All the congressional members are on the surveillance too, no one is excluded. They are all included. So, yes, this can happen to anyone. If they become a target for whatever reason – they are targeted by the government, the government can go in, or the FBI, or other agencies of the government, they can go into their database, pull all that data collected on them over the years, and we analyze it all.

Sounds like it is time to either go back to good old fashion snail mail if you don't want to be spied on or develop an end to end encrypted e-mail service and make a small fortune as everyone flocks to it.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
The FBI certainly cracked Petraeus' gmail account without a problem. If they can do that to the director of the CIA without a warrant or any kind of legal cover then of course they can do it to anybody at any time. I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry about that.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The FBI certainly cracked Petraeus' gmail account without a problem. If they can do that to the director of the CIA without a warrant or any kind of legal cover then of course they can do it to anybody at any time. I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry about that.

We live in a country where the president has killed American citizens without trial and nearly nobody cared. So why would anybody care about reading email?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Shit, now they're going to know I got a Crucial M4 256GB on a hotdeal. Get away from the doors and windows mom and dad!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Shit, now they're going to know I got a Crucial M4 256GB on a hotdeal. Get away from the doors and windows mom and dad!

You dumb ass, Chucky, this is just how I see it. Don't you know that when they come for you it's going to be too late for me.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They can record every post you make on this site and everything you send as a text on your phone or access a list of every person you called on a phone. They can access smartgrid power management systems and those emergency calls made from a car and every monetary transaction you make. You better believe they are doing it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

us-ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
http://rt.com/usa/news/surveillance-spying-e-mail-citizens-178/

Sounds like it is time to either go back to good old fashion snail mail if you don't want to be spied on or develop an end to end encrypted e-mail service and make a small fortune as everyone flocks to it.

We use carrier pigeons for really important stuff . Of course we use e-mails but to read a word and know its meaning is 2 differant things all together . Code changes constantly .

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't worry, if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Don't worry, if you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

lol I remember saying that stupid shit back in 2002 or 03.

They can record every post you make on this site and everything you send as a text on your phone or access a list of every person you called on a phone. They can access smartgrid power management systems and those emergency calls made from a car and every monetary transaction you make. You better believe they are doing it.

Yeah, that's what the Patriot Act was all about.

Of course it is the big gubbment Dems that wont two tayk yer freedums. hahah

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Someone with whom I work actually believes that. It kind of boggles my mind. Hope the government enjoys all the spam I get.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Someone with whom I work actually believes that. It kind of boggles my mind. Hope the government enjoys all the spam I get.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people who buy into the idea that government surveillance and power need no checking because those who haven't done anything wrong don't have anything to fear. The Patriot Act is plenty of proof of that....

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

People are ignorant and lazy and don't understand technology.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
People are ignorant and lazy and don't understand technology.

I think people just feel hopeless more than anything at this point. They just feel like hey I can't change the world but I can at least enjoy what is left of my life and not worry about it.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
We use carrier pigeons for really important stuff . Of course we use e-mails but to read a word and know its meaning is 2 differant things all together . Code changes constantly .

10-4 message received.

The pigeons are in the penthouse.

[/shiftyeyes]

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I think people just feel hopeless more than anything at this point. They just feel like hey I can't change the world but I can at least enjoy what is left of my life and not worry about it.
There is that too--among some who are informed about what's going on and feel like it's not on the up and up. Given how much sharing people do with strangers on facebook alone, though, I think most just do not care or know any better.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You dumb ass, Chucky, this is just how I see it. Don't you know that when they come for you it's going to be too late for me.

OK? What are you going to do, stop posting on the net? Stop using electronic resources connected to anything else electronic? Try and make a case that the NSA shouldn't be monitoring things in an ever increasingly connected world on behalf of the society it is sworn to protect?

How massive must that electronic volume be? So they get your e-mail. And then what? They scan it, it has nothing of value in it, and it's either dumped or filed, to be dumped later. The scanner thinks it has something of value? It gets kicked out to a human who laughs at you and then hits the Who Cares? button.

Think of the volumes involved. Do you think they have time to start or the inclination to start oppressing the common man? They can't even get real intelligence processed fast enough to be actionable for gods sake...

Chuck

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OK? What are you going to do, stop posting on the net? Stop using electronic resources connected to anything else electronic? Try and make a case that the NSA shouldn't be monitoring things in an ever increasingly connected world on behalf of the society it is sworn to protect?

How massive must that electronic volume be? So they get your e-mail. And then what? They scan it, it has nothing of value in it, and it's either dumped or filed, to be dumped later. The scanner thinks it has something of value? It gets kicked out to a human who laughs at you and then hits the Who Cares? button.

Think of the volumes involved. Do you think they have time to start or the inclination to start oppressing the common man? They can't even get real intelligence processed fast enough to be actionable for gods sake...

Chuck

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it should be done. I will continue to vote for people and parties who still value personal privacy.

Response to bolded text: Then why waste the clock cycles on shit then doesn't matter? Crunch that intel data faster!

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I thought we all knew this already. I just assumed all my internet activities were being monitored...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it should be done. I will continue to vote for people and parties who still value personal privacy.

Response to bolded text: Then why waste the clock cycles on shit then doesn't matter? Crunch that intel data faster!

Can't crunch things that are human bound. You can have all the processing power needed (which I'm sure, NSA does), and when it kicks out to a human to see what's what, if the human has 1000 hours of backlogged work this week, it's not going to matter.

Chuck

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'm not too worried. The government never has good software engineers. What makes you think they have engineers able to a database of everyone's email... ever? That database will rival Google's.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Can't crunch things that are human bound. You can have all the processing power needed (which I'm sure, NSA does), and when it kicks out to a human to see what's what, if the human has 1000 hours of backlogged work this week, it's not going to matter.

Chuck

Sit back, relax, it's only your privacy being invaded. No biggie.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Sit back, relax, it's only your privacy being invaded. No biggie.

I'm much more worried about the borders continually being invaded, paychecks being invaded, etc. Those things have had, are, and will continue to have real affects. Compared to those things, this issue - and, it is an issue, I do agree with you there - is wwwaayyy down the list.

Chuck

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

This

And most people are so distracted by the red-team vs blue-team drama that they don't see what is actually happening.