Eric Garner all over again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
RANT:

Why do millennials constantly have to post their fake outrage over social media when these police brutality incidents occur? What do I mean by fake outrage? Posting constant memes of the deceased individual with some sort of caption implying some kind of justice needs to happen pretending like they care. Then when the next day comes they have completely moved on to the next 'thing that is trending', their next upload ussually consists of some stupid video of them practicing the Tootsie Slide dance.

I have a lot of respect for all of the NON-VIOLENT protesters who go out there and demonstrate their first amendment rights, but not for these idiots who do nothing but upload memes.

BTW, why hasn't this idiot cop turned himself in yet? And why are the police just sitting on their ass instead of arresting him?

Rant over.

Reactions: duragezic

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Donald Trump said it was a very very sad day! No remourse for the Black man who was killed! Just a sad day?? Why because white cops were filmed killing a black man?
No, because D. J. Trump lacks imagination and sophistication, has very poor communication skills. That actually makes him an excellent president for the GOP. Nobody can understand the man so everything is open to interpretation, ridicule, dismissal on various grounds, whatever. "Sad" is one of his favorite words. He applies it to any event that's "unfortunate." He's totally incapable of nuance. I have yet to expose myself to any of his speeches. I will watch debates with Biden, but figure to take a shower immediately afterward to wash off the filthy feeling I'll have after hearing Trump "speak." I say that, because he can't speak. He can only blather and lie.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
BTW, why hasn't this idiot cop turned himself in yet? And why are the police just sitting on their ass instead of arresting him?

Rant over.
Oh, I'm sure they know where he is and when the warrant comes, into the car he'll go and onto the city jail. Well, they may give him 12 hours to say goodbye to whomever. Are you happy now?

Mar 11, 2004
You mean like real “patriots” who threaten to kill their fellow Americans if we don’t open up this country fully and without masks? The same “patriots” who wear military garb and carry guns in public spaces while complaining about tyranny?

Lol, no, those pussies won’t lift a finger for real injustice. They’ve got haircuts and nails to trim.

It just occurred to me that I recall seeing quite a few of those "True Patriots" wearing masks at various events over the past few years. You know the ones, the skull bandana ones (or the similar balaclavas). Methinks they doth protest too much (and people are only starting to properly protest enough the litany of legitimate things to protest over, such as the subject of this thread).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have a lot of respect for all of the NON-VIOLENT protesters who go out there and demonstrate their first amendment rights, but not for these idiots who do nothing but upload memes.
For some, it's probably their version of nonviolent protests. It brings more attention to a thing they care about. If they aren't local to the area, that's not a bad thing to do imo. I mean, we're talking about it after all.

I'd rather that than do nothing, in this case.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did the violence break out after police tried to force dispersing or before? That's an important question.

While I don't condone for many reasons, I completely understand the frustration. Nothing was learned post Eric Garner.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think this an important topic and was about to make a thread for it because couldnt find anything posted on it. Until I saw the more descriptively titled thread that was locked: Black man dies during arrest due to respiratory failure from knee to the neck

So was wondering who the hell Eric Garner was until I was led to this thread from the other locked one. Ok, now I recall that incident, but it was from 6 years ago and I'm sure a generic name like Eric Garner may not stick into peoples minds forever. Not to mention those who never heard of the incident or of Eric Garner. Therefore suggest to mods to fix the title to something more descriptive (like the locked threads title). Thanks.

I like this post, because it clearly demonstrates the blatant, observable divide that exists in this country, when you read a statement like "....a generic name like Eric Garner may not stick in peopels minds forever."

Eric Garner is a big deal in this country. At least, for a very large part of it.

Not calling you out, I get it; It is both personal at the individual and community levels, but also the way information travels across this country, how it is absorbed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What do you expect to happen when police are allowed to murder people with no accountability? Now what if they have been able to do that for decades?
Do you think people are going to just grab a ticket and wait in line for their turn to be heard?
What you're seeing is a symptom of a much, much larger problem.

It's almost like this isn't justifiable, but "being forced" to wear a mask in a public store for a couple of minutes is grounds for revolution!

Reactions: Aegeon

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Seems to me the cops didn't look at Floyd as a person, they looked at him as a thing that made them mad because they had to go out of their way and do their job like they're supposed to.

I wonder if the cop that actually killed Floyd would have treated Floyd differently if he was the only one responding to the call.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I like this post, because it clearly demonstrates the blatant, observable divide that exists in this country, when you read a statement like "....a generic name like Eric Garner may not stick in peopels minds forever."

Eric Garner is a big deal in this country. At least, for a very large part of it.

Not calling you out, I get it; It is both personal at the individual and community levels, but also the way information travels across this country, how it is absorbed.
Exactly what I had in mind

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So it seems the protesters have tracked the killer down and have been outside his home....

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So it seems the protesters have tracked the killer down and have been outside his home....
Its citizens "arrest" time. Maybe Florida style? I doubt he's there. If I were him I'd be camped out at an out of state hotel.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The 2nd amendment was intended to prevent this sort of thing. What form this takes I have no idea (certainly am not advocating violence), Black Panthers reborn? Just putting these cops in jail won't change anything IMO.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The 2nd amendment was intended to prevent this sort of thing. What form this takes I have no idea, Black Panthers reborn? Just putting these cops in jail won't change anything IMO.

No the second amendment was not intended to prevent this or even fight this. The second amendment was created to give states a way to defend themselves from foreign and domestic attacks (from entities like Indians and foreign armies), including rebellions and insurrections.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Seems to me the cops didn't look at Floyd as a person, they looked at him as a thing that made them mad because they had to go out of their way and do their job like they're supposed to.

I wonder if the cop that actually killed Floyd would have treated Floyd differently if he was the only one responding to the call.
He wouldn't have had that squat-ass baldy cop there to keep the bystanders at bay while he was killing Floyd.

Mar 11, 2004
No the second amendment was not intended to prevent this or even fight this. The second amendment was created to give states a way to defend themselves from foreign and domestic attacks (from entities like Indians and foreign armies), including rebellions and insurrections.

Um, you clearly haven't actually read the 2nd Amendment. Its clearly for white people to defend themselves against anyone and everyone, including "haters". Its right there in the text. You can't infringe on my Rambo right to individually be a militia!

Mar 11, 2004
He wouldn't have had that squat-ass baldy cop there to keep the bystanders at bay while he was killing Floyd.

He probably would've just shot Floyd in the back within a second of getting there (before anyone had a chance to start recording or even for him to turn on his bodycam).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Um, you clearly haven't actually read the 2nd Amendment. Its clearly for white people to defend themselves against anyone and everyone, including "haters". Its right there in the text. You can't infringe on my Rambo right to individually be a militia!
Also for white people to go on the offense against black because they look suspicious.

Also for white people to bring all their semi-auto weapons to protest their right to sit in a bar or get a mani-pedi

Also for white people to gun down black people who attempt going into a store trying to exercise their 2A rights by buying a rifle.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The second amendment was created to give states a way to defend themselves from foreign and domestic attacks (from entities like Indians and foreign armies), including rebellions and insurrections.
At what point is institutionalized harassment, imprisonment, and general terrorism from law enforcement considered an attack from a domestic entity? When does it become wide-scale self defense?

Reactions: zinfamous

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Things are blowing up literally. Fires, looting, mayhem.

The onion nails it again.
9tbip4b.jpg