Eminent Domain to seize land for flight 93 memorial?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: aceO07
We can't even get our freedom towers up yet.. good luck with this one..

Someone that gets it in here

Sadly you and I are the only real Americans in here. :(

:(... no, lulz!

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

I'm genuinely surprised by your reaction as you've been a pretty staunch opponent of eminent domain int he past. I see no difference here; why should the owners be penalized? As far as I can tell, all they want is fair compensation for an asset that they rightfully own. Do you seriously think they should just donate that land? If so, how are *you*living up to that charitable standard to the families of flight 93?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

I'm genuinely surprised by your reaction as you've been a pretty staunch opponent of eminent domain int he past. I see no difference here; why should the owners be penalized? As far as I can tell, all they want is fair compensation for an asset that they rightfully own. Do you seriously think they should just donate that land? If so, how are *you*living up to that charitable standard to the families of flight 93?

Show me they are not getting a "fair" compensation.

What did they pay for it, what did or are they doing with it?

You call $250,000 donating it?

404 No Penalty Found

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

404 No Penalty Found

how was the value of the offer they were proposed derived? And do you think it is somehow "unfair" to have an independent appraiser review the valuation of the property?

You bet your ass *I'd* make sure an independent appraiser was hired. These folks should not be forced into selling their property at an arbitrary value.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

404 No Penalty Found

how was the value of the offer they were proposed derived? And do you think it is somehow "unfair" to have an independent appraiser review the valuation of the property?

You bet your ass *I'd* make sure an independent appraiser was hired. These folks should not be forced into selling their property at an arbitrary value.

What do you think has been taking place for 7 years? :confused:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Why the hell isn't dmctrollen banned yet?

:thumbsup: At least they finally took away his elite status. It doesn't say much about Anandtech that they considered a troll an "Elite Member" for years.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Also, WHY DO THEY NEED 2200 ACRES FOR THIS MEMORIAL?!?! Do you have any idea how excessive that is???

The National WWII Memorial is 7.4 acres. Arlington National Cemetery is 624 acres and it contains 300,000 dead soldiers from the American Revolution to present.

WTF

agreeing with this.

seriously, this is a fucking plain crash sight, big fucking deal.

How are we even considering building this thing in the current economic climate?

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

404 No Penalty Found

Show me they are getting offered "fair" compensation. What they paid for the land and what they are doing with the land are irrelevant. If it is worth substantially more than $250,000.00, then yes, that is essentially donating it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

404 No Penalty Found

What do you think has been taking place for 7 years? :confused:

*blink* I just saw a trail derail!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Eminent Domain needs to be outlawed. It is simply wrong for the government to come in and kick someone out of their home when there is no basis for physical damage to anyone or anything due to that property's existence (disrepair, contamination, crime, etc). "For the greater good" my ass.

Of course, since we all basically pay rent to live in the US (Property tax) and don't own the land we "buy" (lien on failure to pay taxes)... this doesn't surprise me. Just another corporate tool.

Eminent domain is abused by our government, but good luck routing a road without it.

But the question remains, who exactly wants that road routed? Wal-mart? That's where the problem is. If there's a legitimate use for the road other than for financial gain, then it might be prudent. But when eminent domain becomes all about some corporate entity trying to save/make a buck (which in 99% of all cases it is), that's just wrong. The abuse isn't the government, it's the fact that the government is owned by corporations and not the people's best interests.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Also, WHY DO THEY NEED 2200 ACRES FOR THIS MEMORIAL?!?! Do you have any idea how excessive that is???

The National WWII Memorial is 7.4 acres. Arlington National Cemetery is 624 acres and it contains 300,000 dead soldiers from the American Revolution to present.

WTF

im just gonna quote this as well 2200 acres is a fucking huge amount of land FFS they dont even need a 10th of that for their stupid fing memorial

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I'm shocked that there hasn't been a "Dave McOwen visits a VERY Un-American memorial...the last Confederate victory in the Civil War...against the USA...how appropriate" comment. :D

youse righties are slipping...:p

'righties' are generally for states rights, which is what the civil war was fought over...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis

WTF

im just gonna quote this as well 2200 acres is a fucking huge amount of land FFS they dont even need a 10th of that for their stupid fing memorial

That's why this doesn't pass the sniff test. It smells like somebody is trying to get rich(er) off this deal.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

WTF

Yeah, a square mile is 640 acres so this is like 3 1/2 square miles. To put up a monument?? Mount Rushmore is only 1200 acres and it's a whole damn moutain.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
A monument for this is not needed. They can put up a plaque at ground zero in NY city. Using eminent domain for this is just plain wrong.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

WTF

Yeah, a square mile is 640 acres so this is like 3 1/2 square miles. To put up a monument?? Mount Rushmore is only 1200 acres and it's a whole damn moutain.

thats the main reasonit bugs me. i might be more sympethitic if they only wanted 1-2 acres. but 2200? WTF uh no. this is just a land grab . there is NO reason they need that much land.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I wouldn't force them to use eminant domain if I owned the land... Maybe work a deal acre for acre or something... but 2200 acres? maybe they need to build roads/p-lot/etc... maybe they want to do something really nice.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: badnewcastle
I wouldn't force them to use eminant domain if I owned the land... Maybe work a deal acre for acre or something... but 2200 acres? maybe they need to build roads/p-lot/etc... maybe they want to do something really nice.

do you have any idea how fucking big 2200 acres is?

Agrooreo

Jul 26, 2005
No way should this happen. If the owners dont want to sell it then build a memorial somewhere else, pure. plain, and simple. Its not their fault a plane happened to crash on there land. And who cares what they do or dont do with it it's THEIR land. If they wanna never do anything with it but sit in a lawn chair in their underwear and drink beer who cares!!! It is their land and they are completely free to do that. If someone in my family had died in that horrible crash I may want a memorial but a granite plaque just big enough to put every victim's name on would be more than enough. I figure 10 square feet should do it. Just something to remember them by and show the younger generations of my family. And if they don't wanna sell the 10 sq ft, oh well find a sidewalk in D.C somewhere or better yet put it off to the side of the runway the plane was supposed to land on...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Did they make a memorial where the Concorde crashed? Or where the various pieces of Columbia and Challenger fell? How many other thousands of accidents or incidents occurred where there aren't memorials now?

Your right... the U.S. military should close the memorial at Pearl Harbor as well. No need for it. I was watching the discovery channel and saw a fishing boat sink... where is their memorial?

there is a little bit of difference between pearl harbor and flight 93.

Yep, the memorial in Pearl Harbor takes up a total of 17.4 acres. What's proposed, imho, is outrageous. I'm sorry to be politically incorrect, but what's the difference between the untimely deaths of any individual on that flight and the untimely death of anyone else in the country? Why is it so much more of a tragedy for any individual victim and their families than it is for the victim of a dwi? Is my sense of perspective way off or something?

40 people died in that crash. More than that are going to die today in accidents involving someone who is dwi. Where's their memorial?

Message to any relatives of people who died in that flight & might read this online:
I'm sorry your relative died. It was a horrible thing. But horrible things happen to people all over the place all the time. Your relative would probably want you to move on with your life.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

do you have any idea how fucking big 2200 acres is?

apparently not.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004

Yeah, I do... did you see me put the fucking "?".... Grow up.