Elon Musk retweets post claiming graduates from HBCUs have low IQs and make flying more dangerous.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yet again more racism coming from the right. They are floating the conspiracy airline are less safe because they hire black people.

"Elon Musk endorsed a tweet Tuesday that suggested graduates from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have IQs approaching “borderline intellectual impairment.”

"This example deals with a United Airlines program announced in 2021 that gives students at three HBCUs the opportunity to interview with the company’s career development program for pilots. On X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, a popular user called @eyeslasho went online to argue the United program is dangerous because graduates from these colleges are unintelligent, and therefore unfit to fly a plane."

There are other sources for this story.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yet again more racism coming from the right. They are floating the conspiracy airline are less safe because they hire black people.

"Elon Musk endorsed a tweet Tuesday that suggested graduates from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have IQs approaching “borderline intellectual impairment.”

"This example deals with a United Airlines program announced in 2021 that gives students at three HBCUs the opportunity to interview with the company’s career development program for pilots. On X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, a popular user called @eyeslasho went online to argue the United program is dangerous because graduates from these colleges are unintelligent, and therefore unfit to fly a plane."

WTAF. i'm really at a loss for words otherwise.

Reactions: Pohemi

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022

I'm at a loss for words how shitty of a human musk is.
I think its beyond time to call our reps and demand no subsidies for any of his companies. He literally made most of his fortune from us subsidies .

Smoking a fat one tonight to make all this fade away for the night. Goodnight!

Last edited:

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022

dupe.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
I'll add it's not just black people that graduate from HBCUs. My ex wife ain't black and she graduated from one -- this is who Musk was apparently referring to.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
who would have thunk that a rich white guy from south africa would turn out to be a raging racist regressive? couldn't have seen that coming right.
You can't stereotype or generalize.....is Charlize Theron a bigot? Candice Swanepoel? Sasha Pieterse?
Musk is a lunatic.

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You can't stereotype or generalize.....is Charlize Theron a bigot? Candice Swanepoel? Sasha Pieterse?
Musk is a lunatic.
Do you have any comments about Musk or are you having a Nikki Haley moment? Can’t discuss racism so deflect to something else where the poster was clearly joking.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I can appreciate that some of the more vile and stupid would make that argument.
But for Elon, I can imagine a thought process where the creme of the crop go to other colleges. It's not like we are racially segregated. You'll find the smartest people (Blacks included) at Harvard, Yale, etc?
OTOH, wtf does college have to do with being a pilot? Absolutely nothing.

I bet the broader subject is a right wing witch hunt against DEI hiring practices?
I feel like they've been screeching about that for the past 12 months.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I can appreciate that some of the more vile and stupid would make that argument.
But for Elon, I can imagine a thought process where the creme of the crop go to other colleges. It's not like we are racially segregated. You'll find the smartest people (Blacks included) at Harvard, Yale, etc?
OTOH, wtf does college have to do with being a pilot? Absolutely nothing.

I bet the broader subject is a right wing witch hunt against DEI hiring practices?
I feel like they've been screeching about that for the past 12 months.
The argument that black people are intellectually inferior has been going on by conservatives since the days of slavery and it hasn’t stopped.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The argument that black people are intellectually inferior has been going on by conservatives since the days of slavery and it hasn’t stopped.
I think they are more directly attacking hiring POC and claiming it is not merit based.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
What did that Twitter user call him before elmo banned her today?

Apartheid Clyde

If the shoe fits.

Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Reading that article in zombie mode (just woke up, no coffee yet), the response to the low IQ comments was surprisingly weak. I read it and thought "that's all you've got?". If you're going to attack a statement because you feel it's racist, you should shoot to kill, not supply a weak semi vindication.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'll add it's not just black people that graduate from HBCUs. My ex wife ain't black and she graduated from one -- this is who Musk was apparently referring to.
Both my white parents got their undergrads from an HBCU, because at that time they were the only state university open in Tulsa. Father was early 70s, too, mother was late 80s.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Reading that article in zombie mode (just woke up, no coffee yet), the response to the low IQ comments was surprisingly weak. I read it and thought "that's all you've got?". If you're going to attack a statement because you feel it's racist, you should shoot to kill, not supply a weak semi vindication.
One of the problems with Trump he is normalizing being openly racist. Many of his people don't consider that a bad thing.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Musk knows your ex-wife and how she must have been slow to marry you? I guess that fits.

• Haha

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It seems that the entirety of right-wing thought consists of the retelling of easily disproven (usually defamatory) lies as a means of a purity test. Go along with the lie, and you're one of them. Point out the lie and you're the evil other.
In this case, the idea that the average SAT scores at HBCU corresponds to below-average IQ's is laughably false. More to the point, it could be reasonably presumed that the few candidates chosen for the program are the cream of the crop, and thus had above-average scores.
Behind all this are stupid insecure people trying to push other people down so they can feel better about themselves.