Elon Musk retweets post claiming graduates from HBCUs have low IQs and make flying more dangerous.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Pretty sure his cars have killed more people than pilots from HBCs. It would certainly be novel if his cars get banned because their IQs are deemed too low to pass driving tests. Or even better if they got banned because his IQ is too low. I have a strong hunch he'd end up with below average IQ if given a modern test.

Mar 11, 2004
More like 100% of his posts.

It is weird that he's so against generalization that he keeps taking a few celebrities and acting like they represent everyone but also are singular individuals but we should apparently care more about what they think or something? I've yet to see them make an actual point, its just "but what about these celebrities?!?" Its not even an argument, its just posting celebrity names as though it has any relevance to the topic. I'd wonder if its an AI bot but I think even they aren't that one dimensional these days. Then again, maybe its Musk's racist AI?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Really moving from California to Mississippi is basically a slow form of suicide. Going from the second highest life expectancy state to the lowest.
It's a horrible place. No Shit on the sidewalks, no homeless encampments everywhere, no drug addict's and beggars accosting me at the gas station, no cars getting broken into nightly, no rampant shoplifting, no high fuel prices and no absurd utility bills. I had to wait an entire week when I needed surgery. The dentist couldn't get me in for three days when I called to get my teeth cleaned.
Trust me, you don't want anything to do with the poorest state in the union.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's a horrible place. No Shit on the sidewalks, no homeless encampments everywhere, no drug addict's and beggars accosting me at the gas station, no cars getting broken into nightly, no rampant shoplifting, no high fuel prices and no absurd utility bills. I had to wait an entire week when I needed surgery. The dentist couldn't get me in for three days when I called to get my teeth cleaned.
Yeah they all left for California where even unhoused, life is less shitty.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yeah they all left for California where even unhoused, life is less shitty.
Depends on what city they go to, San Francisco is literally shitty.
The only part of California I miss is riding my V-Rod through the sierra mountains. Used to travel with a buddy or two and had some truly memorable times. Should I get the urge to do that again I'll have to settle for the Smokey mountains, I hear they're nice.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Sounds like a complete, unmitigated disaster.

I feel ya man. I'm at my place in California right now. I have homes elsewhere. West Virginia where I also have a home is right next to Mississippi at the bottom of the rung in many metrics. They both trade blows for who can be at the bottom of the barrel with Arkansas being the spoiler here and there. California has a few things going for it: weather, beaches, Yosemite and redwoods. You wanna know what's fucked up? I'm a big metal and industrial rock fan. At my place in WV I can hit more concerts, easier, with less distance traveled than here in CA even (I'm not in LA or SanFran, evidently.)

All without the batshit lunatics roving the sidewalks. Even in the middle of the state you will find lunatics roving the sidewalks far, far away from LA or San Francisco. There's so much murder going on here I'm reminded of my youth where I grew up in something just short of a full-blown ghetto.

The utility bills are wondrous here in CA during the summer. The PG&E bill alone can cover a mortgage in WV. It can cover my WV electric bill, gas bill, car insurance, cell bill, internet bill, water / trash bill, uh ... yeah. CA is just amazing. Property taxes? hahaha. My girlfriend, man, her stepfather has approx $10k in property taxes a year. I love telling him my property taxes in WV are approx $700 per year. They'd move if they weren't in their 70s. Her folks just bitch about dealing with the expenses of being in CA, but I can understand being that old and don't want to start over.

There's also gasoline of course, well, nobody needs to really throw digits for that, if anyone ever watched the news you know how expensive gasoline here in CA is. I don't directly pay that myself very often, I have other people chauffeur me around while I'm in CA. But I do see signage when cruising by!

There's actual organized street crime here in CA. From ransacking department stores to busting out windows and stealing things out of your automobile -- if not your automobile itself -- it is wild.

Better healthcare? Statistically, on paper it looks good. My girlfriend just got approved for surgery yesterday after fighting for more than 2 motherfuckin' years to get an operation due to an incident on the job (got her ass beat by the wonderful students of California.) That's with the assistance of attorneys. We're up to our ass in attorneys. Wasn't for lack of effort.

Don't like the local politics? Stay out of the local politics or run for office yourself. You don't have to sit around and feel victimized, you can either do something about it or just stay out of it and mind your own business and maybe do something you like -- get a hobby for example.

Traffic? Holy shit, Batman. Jesus H. Christ for real yo. In WV I can get in my car, go to Wendy's, and be back walking into my living room in 6 minutes (I've timed it for entertainment before.) 6 minutes here most often doesn't get you a mile down the road. It can take 6 minutes just getting from the garage here to across the street. No joke. May as well walk some days and dodge traffic.

Does MS and WV have issues? Sure as shit do. Can't speak 100% for MS, but, WV does have a drug problem. There's also some homeless people, somewhat minor issue but they're there ... somewhere. I rarely see either because I don't fuck around with druggies and I don't bother going around where homeless people are. I cannot avoid those things in CA. If I want to go to the grocery store or get a pizza the odds are infinitely higher I am going to encounter that shit in CA.

I get a good laugh when people try to use CA as a pinnacle of just about anything. They're either from here and don't know any better because they've never lived anywhere else, or they haven't lived here therefore lack reality.

"So Zor why are you in CA?" I went out to my mailbox earlier with just jeans on. It's February. That's one reason why I'm in CA. It has a high price tag and I find it worth it for wearing tshirts or nothing in January and February. I could have a place in Florida I suppose but there's no primo California pussy in Florida (my girlfriend jokes that's why I'm in CA.) Once it warms up elsewhere I am yearning to get the fuck out of here. Especially when you open the door and it's like 110F + outside. I'm not alone on my thoughts. At some point if the stars align I'll be here in the winter and that's it.

Almost forgot. MS / WV terrible, terrible places. (100%)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
oh god, these two schmucks are two peas in a pod. why don't they all just fucking move the the paradise that is the deep south, and then just fucking secede? get the fuck out of Cali Zor, trust me, you don't belong, someone actually decent could use the housing, and move to your red state regressive castle and do everyone in Cali a favor.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
oh god, these two schmucks are two peas in a pod. why don't they all just fucking move the the paradise that is the deep south, and then just fucking secede? get the fuck out of Cali Zor, trust me, you don't belong, someone actually decent could use the housing, and move to your red state regressive castle and do everyone in Cali a favor.

If you have some money I'm sure it's a great place to retire. If not then get fucked I guess because it's factually basically the worst state in the entire country by almost every metric that exists.

Reactions: nakedfrog

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you have some money I'm sure it's a great place to retire. If not then get fucked I guess because it's factually basically the worst state in the entire country by almost every metric that exists.

this is not just about retirement, this is in general.

no I would not retire to Cali unless quite wealthy, they need to build more housing to fix the single biggest issue there to make it more affordable.

Greenman has been like this long before he retired, and the other putz is not talking about retirement. this is what all the GQP people say about blue states vs red states in general.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's sad.
When are Republicans/Conservatives going to do something about this.

Don’t give that bullshit racists on all sides. We know where the problem lies. The Democratic Party does not condone support or associate with white nationalists.

Republicans do.

Reactions: Meghan54

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Greenbrier East Apartments on the east side of Columbus Ohio in the 80s. Former military housing (Rickenbacker) turned section 8 or something. Never seen SWAT so much before or after. Dodged bullets from people trying to kill each other and I'm just a kid trying to make it to the next day. People running by shooting each other right next to me. Still rough from what I hear but can't possibly be as bad as it used to be -- I could be wrong. Columbus was largely nice and it's a relatively clean city but yeah the south / east side wasn't nearly as prosperous as the rest. I was lucky to move out of the hood into 'the bottoms' eventually where there was just more poor people with measurably less crime but if you screwed around and went a few streets over that was on you for being there.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
As an aside, having recently been on a binge of 'aviation disaster videos', I am in awe of the qualities required to be a commercial pilot. I don't know how any of those guys do it. I'd be _terrible_ at it.

A certain basic level of education, e.g. maths, is clearly important, but the main thing seems to be it requires a combination of two nearly-contradictory qualities.

You need to combine extreme conscientiousness, an ability to follow procedures to the letter, without getting bored, losing concentration or deciding to get too 'creative, together with the capacity for quick-thinking and improvisation on those rare occasions where things outside your control go wrong and you have to come up with a solution outside of those standard procedures.

I reckon I'd have the academic smarts, but I'd get bored or try to be too 'creative' and wouldn't be able to stand the sheer tedium of the relentless self-discipline required.

A couple of cases I found terrifyingly easy to identify with - the one where the pilot and co-pilot got so distracted by their discussion about the airline's new rostering system that they forgot to land and flew 100 miles past the destination airport, and the one where a crew on a relocation flight decided to 'have fun' and see how high an altitude they could get the unladen plane to reach, and ended up stalling and crashing it and killing themselves.

Anyway, that has little to do with Musk's obvious racism, but that he's a true product of Apartheid privilege seems too obvious by this point to merit any further comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: tweaker2

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sounds like a complete, unmitigated disaster.

I feel ya man. I'm at my place in California right now. I have homes elsewhere. West Virginia where I also have a home is right next to Mississippi at the bottom of the rung in many metrics. They both trade blows for who can be at the bottom of the barrel with Arkansas being the spoiler here and there. California has a few things going for it: weather, beaches, Yosemite and redwoods. You wanna know what's fucked up? I'm a big metal and industrial rock fan. At my place in WV I can hit more concerts, easier, with less distance traveled than here in CA even (I'm not in LA or SanFran, evidently.)

All without the batshit lunatics roving the sidewalks. Even in the middle of the state you will find lunatics roving the sidewalks far, far away from LA or San Francisco. There's so much murder going on here I'm reminded of my youth where I grew up in something just short of a full-blown ghetto.

The utility bills are wondrous here in CA during the summer. The PG&E bill alone can cover a mortgage in WV. It can cover my WV electric bill, gas bill, car insurance, cell bill, internet bill, water / trash bill, uh ... yeah. CA is just amazing. Property taxes? hahaha. My girlfriend, man, her stepfather has approx $10k in property taxes a year. I love telling him my property taxes in WV are approx $700 per year. They'd move if they weren't in their 70s. Her folks just bitch about dealing with the expenses of being in CA, but I can understand being that old and don't want to start over.

There's also gasoline of course, well, nobody needs to really throw digits for that, if anyone ever watched the news you know how expensive gasoline here in CA is. I don't directly pay that myself very often, I have other people chauffeur me around while I'm in CA. But I do see signage when cruising by!

There's actual organized street crime here in CA. From ransacking department stores to busting out windows and stealing things out of your automobile -- if not your automobile itself -- it is wild.

Better healthcare? Statistically, on paper it looks good. My girlfriend just got approved for surgery yesterday after fighting for more than 2 motherfuckin' years to get an operation due to an incident on the job (got her ass beat by the wonderful students of California.) That's with the assistance of attorneys. We're up to our ass in attorneys. Wasn't for lack of effort.

Don't like the local politics? Stay out of the local politics or run for office yourself. You don't have to sit around and feel victimized, you can either do something about it or just stay out of it and mind your own business and maybe do something you like -- get a hobby for example.

Traffic? Holy shit, Batman. Jesus H. Christ for real yo. In WV I can get in my car, go to Wendy's, and be back walking into my living room in 6 minutes (I've timed it for entertainment before.) 6 minutes here most often doesn't get you a mile down the road. It can take 6 minutes just getting from the garage here to across the street. No joke. May as well walk some days and dodge traffic.

Does MS and WV have issues? Sure as shit do. Can't speak 100% for MS, but, WV does have a drug problem. There's also some homeless people, somewhat minor issue but they're there ... somewhere. I rarely see either because I don't fuck around with druggies and I don't bother going around where homeless people are. I cannot avoid those things in CA. If I want to go to the grocery store or get a pizza the odds are infinitely higher I am going to encounter that shit in CA.

I get a good laugh when people try to use CA as a pinnacle of just about anything. They're either from here and don't know any better because they've never lived anywhere else, or they haven't lived here therefore lack reality.

"So Zor why are you in CA?" I went out to my mailbox earlier with just jeans on. It's February. That's one reason why I'm in CA. It has a high price tag and I find it worth it for wearing tshirts or nothing in January and February. I could have a place in Florida I suppose but there's no primo California pussy in Florida (my girlfriend jokes that's why I'm in CA.) Once it warms up elsewhere I am yearning to get the fuck out of here. Especially when you open the door and it's like 110F + outside. I'm not alone on my thoughts. At some point if the stars align I'll be here in the winter and that's it.

Almost forgot. MS / WV terrible, terrible places. (100%)
Living in third world places is usually quite nice so long as you’re one of the people with money.

It’s nice that there are fewer homeless people in WV than CA, but the reason for that is demand to live in WV is so low that despite having the same dumb housing policies prices are still low. Demand in WV is low because the market has decided it’s a terrible place to live.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Living in third world places is usually quite nice so long as you’re one of the people with money.

It’s nice that there are fewer homeless people in WV than CA, but the reason for that is demand to live in WV is so low that despite having the same dumb housing policies prices are still low. Demand in WV is low because the market has decided it’s a terrible place to live.
Does this mean you'll not move to WV? #winning

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Haha, I won’t be. The rest of the country seems to agree with me so have the place to yourself!

Look at this powerhouse. Lol.

Like I said, life is good if you’re a regular person in a third world country. The problem is life is terrible for everyone else.
Brother you ain't saying much more than I already have.

West Virginia where I also have a home is right next to Mississippi at the bottom of the rung in many metrics. They both trade blows for who can be at the bottom of the barrel with Arkansas being the spoiler here and there.

I'm quite aware of what's up with WV, considering I originate from there and hold property there still.

I want people to stay out of WV so it doesn't experience gentrification anymore than it already has. The last thing I want is for it to become a place like California where my ass currently sits as of this writing. Problem is, remote work that stormed across the USA got a lot of people interested in moving there -- and are moving there. We've finally begun having more people move in than voluntarily leave for the first time in a very long time. Overall still a net loss, but that's because WV has an old population and people are still dying faster than people are moving in.

So if you wouldn't mind, if WV ever comes up in other conversations you have, be sure to share negative stats and generally be derogatory with your remarks in regard to it. Thanks in advance.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Brother you ain't saying much more than I already have.

West Virginia where I also have a home is right next to Mississippi at the bottom of the rung in many metrics. They both trade blows for who can be at the bottom of the barrel with Arkansas being the spoiler here and there.

I'm quite aware of what's up with WV, considering I originate from there and hold property there still.

I want people to stay out of WV so it doesn't experience gentrification anymore than it already has. The last thing I want is for it to become a place like California where my ass currently sits as of this writing. Problem is, remote work that stormed across the USA got a lot of people interested in moving there -- and are moving there. We've finally begun having more people move in than voluntarily leave for the first time in a very long time. Overall still a net loss, but that's because WV has an old population and people are still dying faster than people are moving in.

So if you wouldn't mind, if WV ever comes up in other conversations you have, be sure to share negative stats and generally be derogatory with your remarks in regard to it. Thanks in advance.
Not a problem - I hope to keep highlighting the misery of the residents of WV so we can get them desperately needed help.

You like WV because you’re a rich person there while in CA you aren’t. I get it - it’s nice to be rich. Doesn’t change the fact that WV is a hellhole for the vast majority of people who live there.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Greenbrier East Apartments on the east side of Columbus Ohio in the 80s. Former military housing (Rickenbacker) turned section 8 or something. Never seen SWAT so much before or after. Dodged bullets from people trying to kill each other and I'm just a kid trying to make it to the next day. People running by shooting each other right next to me. Still rough from what I hear but can't possibly be as bad as it used to be -- I could be wrong. Columbus was largely nice and it's a relatively clean city but yeah the south / east side wasn't nearly as prosperous as the rest. I was lucky to move out of the hood into 'the bottoms' eventually where there was just more poor people with measurably less crime but if you screwed around and went a few streets over that was on you for being there.
Oh you poor baby.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Parts of Mississippi are pretty screwed up, parts are pretty darn nice. For me the choice was simple, stay in an expensive high crime area and get by, or move to a less expensive low crime area and live well. The wife and I looked at a few of places before we landed here. Spent a few days driving around with friends that have lived here for years, and decided to make it our home. We could have moved pretty much anywhere, we chose Mississippi and we chose the small town we live in.
It's been a year now and we have no regrets at all. Low cost of living, very low crime, quality medical facility's just a short drive away. Everyone we've run across is polite and friendly, haven't found an asshole yet. Our longest drive is a monthly trip to costco, it's twenty miles away.

We just recently visited Clarksdale (where the blues were born), a rough, depressed town that's now on the upswing, amazing history. Morgan Freeman owns a bar there that features local blues music.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Not a problem - I hope to keep highlighting the misery of the residents of WV so we can get them desperately needed help.

You like WV because you’re a rich person there while in CA you aren’t. I get it - it’s nice to be rich. Doesn’t change the fact that WV is a hellhole for the vast majority of people who live there.

Eh, I live in one of the better places in WV that does have a pretty high cost of housing (I know, I know ...), and I'd be fairly well off in either place. We have a metric shit-ton of homeless/public drug use in our downtown area. Can't miss it. This state is horribly mismanaged, living in the past, and still catering to the coal industry. Which employs something like 13k in the state even when you include all related industries.

I'd choose CA in a vacuum. In a heartbeat.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Way to justify the racism of Musk with the, oh well it’s what we all do as humans so he is all good”. you racist Trump butt licker. I mean many people are saying. Your complete hyprocisy is astonishing to behold.

hell, people been murdering each other forever, why should we have outrage when it happens. Why have laws at all. Turtles all the way down Greenman‘s racist ass crack. Many people are saying.
I like the implication that there is no difference between hating black people and hating human traffickers. It's all just hate. The world won't actually be a better place without human traffickers.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
As a complete aside, intelligence is not anywhere near the top of the list of traits I’d want in a pilot. Level headedness, discipline, consistency, and the ability to retain and follow procedures and checklists even in time of crises would be number one.

I couldn’t care less if they don’t understand the thermodynamic cycle of a high bypass ratio turbofan, in fact, it might be preferable. I don’t want any big brain “geniuses” testing their innovative new hypotheses while I’m in the air. Somebody like Elmo Twitterthumbs would get distracted within 45 seconds of takeoff and crash the plane