Elon Musk retweets post claiming graduates from HBCUs have low IQs and make flying more dangerous.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Greenbrier East Apartments on the east side of Columbus Ohio in the 80s. Former military housing (Rickenbacker) turned section 8 or something. Never seen SWAT so much before or after. Dodged bullets from people trying to kill each other and I'm just a kid trying to make it to the next day. People running by shooting each other right next to me. Still rough from what I hear but can't possibly be as bad as it used to be -- I could be wrong. Columbus was largely nice and it's a relatively clean city but yeah the south / east side wasn't nearly as prosperous as the rest. I was lucky to move out of the hood into 'the bottoms' eventually where there was just more poor people with measurably less crime but if you screwed around and went a few streets over that was on you for being there.

The California murder rate is in the bottom half of the US. Less than WV incidentally. Where exactly do you live in CA?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Parts of Mississippi are pretty screwed up, parts are pretty darn nice. For me the choice was simple, stay in an expensive high crime area and get by, or move to a less expensive low crime area and live well. The wife and I looked at a few of places before we landed here. Spent a few days driving around with friends that have lived here for years, and decided to make it our home. We could have moved pretty much anywhere, we chose Mississippi and we chose the small town we live in.
It's been a year now and we have no regrets at all. Low cost of living, very low crime, quality medical facility's just a short drive away. Everyone we've run across is polite and friendly, haven't found an asshole yet. Our longest drive is a monthly trip to costco, it's twenty miles away.

We just recently visited Clarksdale (where the blues were born), a rough, depressed town that's now on the upswing, amazing history. Morgan Freeman owns a bar there that features local blues music.

You moved to a low crime enclave in the highest murder rate state in the nation because you have the money to simply avoid the problems. This is not at all an unusual move anywhere in the world but lets not pretend that your particular reality can't also exist at the same time as the reality of the majority of the population in the state you inhabit which is vastly different.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Twitter really needs to finally go ahead and die so we stop hearing from this white supremacist drug addict.

Reactions: pmv

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You moved to a low crime enclave in the highest murder rate state in the nation because you have the money to simply avoid the problems. This is not at all an unusual move anywhere in the world but lets not pretend that your particular reality can't also exist at the same time as the reality of the majority of the population in the state you inhabit which is vastly different.
Yes, this is not terribly different from US expats moving to central or south america. When you make way more money than the surrounding population life can be pretty good, and I don't begrudge anyone doing it, but people should do it with their eyes open.

Mississippi and West Virginia are some of the worst places in the entire US to live for the majority of the population. They are violent, poverty stricken, drug addicted hellholes. The one benefit though is that because they are so terrible to live in housing costs are very low so for example WV has one of the lowest homelessness rates in the country. The misery may be less visible than a homeless guy on the street in LA but overall there's way more of it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
As a complete aside, intelligence is not anywhere near the top of the list of traits I’d want in a pilot. Level headedness, discipline, consistency, and the ability to retain and follow procedures and checklists even in time of crises would be number one.

I couldn’t care less if they don’t understand the thermodynamic cycle of a high bypass ratio turbofan, in fact, it might be preferable. I don’t want any big brain “geniuses” testing their innovative new hypotheses while I’m in the air. Somebody like Elmo Twitterthumbs would get distracted within 45 seconds of takeoff and crash the plane

I do think "intelligence" or at least "scientific literacy and technical knowledge" is important. Especially when it comes to rescuing the situation when something unexpected goes wrong.

But absolutely agree that those other things are more critical.

The "Gimli Glider" incident really seemed to highlight both aspects of that - like idiots they screwed up the maths completely, causing them to run out of fuel in mid-air, but then, like geniuses, they used their experience of flying gliders to safely land a 767 with no functioning engines on a long-defunct airstrip that they had enough general knowledge to know existed).

Honestly, watching those videos about aviation screw-ups made me physically cringe, at remembering the occasions in jobs when I messed up by getting sloppy or bored with the routine and skipping boring tasks or taking shortcuts that didn't work out well. Thank God no lives depended on my conscientiousness and boredom-threshold.

I should never ever be put in charge of an aircraft (and nor should Musk - he'd be _appalling_ at 'crew resource management').

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well at the very least its now obvious that the tweet he made to a neo nazi “what you are saying is the actual truth” that resulted in the loss of 90% of advertisers and Elmos retracted “go fuck yourself” reaction…. was 100% in line with his core personality.

I think its fair to say that Elmo is sympathetic to the white mans struggles anno 2024.

Doesn't get much Trumpier than that.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Duh. The entire point of moving was to get out of a crowded expensive high crime area. So yes, I moved to a less expensive low density low crime area. That's what makes it a nice place to live. That some part of the state is a crime riddled shit hole doesn't change the reality of this part of the state being pleasant.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Duh. The entire point of moving was to get out of a crowded expensive high crime area. So yes, I moved to a less expensive low density low crime area. That's what makes it a nice place to live. That some part of the state is a crime riddled shit hole doesn't change the reality of this part of the state being pleasant.
Well except for the shitty health care, crap services, poor schools, dollar stores every 2 miles. It’s a fucking paradise.

Reactions: Pens1566

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yes, duh indeed, but in post#55 you attempted to refute Zorba's comment about Mississippi being a shithole by offering up your limited experience living in one town as a counterpoint. But it isn't a counterpoint, because every state in the country has some nice places to live in it. Yet by every statistical measure, Mississippi is the worst state to live in the country, for the majority of its residents.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Don't forget the racism, which Greenman will never see because according to him, systemic racism ended with credit scores 😀
I made a thread where Musk says HBCU grads have low IQs and all @Greenman can muster is he is an asshole.

He will make excuses for Musk as if this kind of sentiment isn’t destructive. To him racism is something that is so benign as to almost be non-existent

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I made a thread where Musk says HBCU grads have low IQs and all @Greenman can muster is he is an asshole.

He will make excuses for Musk as if this kind of sentiment isn’t destructive. To him racism is something that is so benign as to almost be non-existent
Guess you didn't read my post a few up.
Btw, Musk is an asshole, so what?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You don't need to explain anything.

Musk can shoot off his mouth anyway he choses.
You seem to be incapable or unwilling to see the cancer he is spreading throughout the country. X gives him a platform for spreading hate and disinformation. Just tad more than your ordinary asshole.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You seem to be incapable or unwilling to see the cancer he is spreading throughout the country. X gives him a platform for spreading hate and disinformation. Just tad more than your ordinary asshole.
I mean team cancer is literally his team.

sure he thinks Q is crazy and Trump has no class, but in general, he is all about team cancer's policies and observations. haven't you learned yet? the guy is nothing if not consistent.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I mean team cancer is literally his team.

sure he thinks Q is crazy and Trump has no class, but in general, he is all about team cancer's policies and observations. haven't you learned yet? the guy is nothing if not consistent.
He says Musk is doing nothing more than shooting off his mouth.

If memory serves me Joseph Goebbels was doing nothing more than shooting off his mouth.

Ashberto

Feb 26, 2022
One of the problems with Trump he is normalizing being openly racist. Many of his people don't consider that a bad thing.
There is a thin line between free speech and hate speech, and of recent that line has been blurred.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So what is it you want? What would be your Musk solution?