Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I feel bad for the guy, but he made many asshole comments about anyone that disagreed with him being upset they "missed out" and we're upset they were "poor."

Beyond Tesla he was heavy in Bitcoin too.

He still might be up, depending on when he got in.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I agree it's difficult, but they have a duty to shareholders first and foremost that could put them in legal jeopardy. It doesn't matter who owns them, they have to do what is best for the share price.
Their legal duty is to look out for the long-term interests of both the company and shareholders. Short-term stock market prices aren't actually what the board is supposed to be concerned with. True, in the last couple of decades, most boards are only focused on stock prices, but that isn't what their legal duty is about. The board is supposed to focus on the long-term vision and direction of the company. Is that long-term vision meeting the goals of the organization and the goals of the shareholders (which might not even be a profit-related goal)?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Ponyo was willing to sell and even short Tesla if it made sense to him. He liked to pump the stock but he wasn't dumb when it came to his own personal money.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
IIRC, he consistently said most of his Tesla shares were long and he had no intention of selling any time soon. He traded options, but most of his rhetoric centered around holding Tesla shares because they would totally take him to the moon.

I also remember him saying that he liquidated his mom’s retirement account to purchase Tesla shares for her…

He bought into crypto when daddy Elon encouraged him, and he bought near the top as a result.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Their legal duty is to look out for the long-term interests of both the company and shareholders. Short-term stock market prices aren't actually what the board is supposed to be concerned with. True, in the last couple of decades, most boards are only focused on stock prices, but that isn't what their legal duty is about. The board is supposed to focus on the long-term vision and direction of the company. Is that long-term vision meeting the goals of the organization and the goals of the shareholders (which might not even be a profit-related goal)?

It's a distinction, but when the company has lost almost a trillion dollars in value and 10% market share in the last year and change ... they're really the same thing. TSLA was never setup to be a "long term" company. They were first to market, but would always lose out in the end to the big manufacturers.

Reactions: Bitek

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
IIRC, he consistently said most of his Tesla shares were long and he had no intention of selling any time soon. He traded options, but most of his rhetoric centered around holding Tesla shares because they would totally take him to the moon.

I also remember him saying that he liquidated his mom’s retirement account to purchase Tesla shares for her…

He bought into crypto when daddy Elon encouraged him, and he bought near the top as a result.

I did some searching and found him adding to his position in 2018, when the stock was about $20/share or less, which means he would still be up about 7X if he held. So concerns/schadenfreude are misplaced.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I feel bad for the guy, but he made many asshole comments about anyone that disagreed with him being upset they "missed out" and we're upset they were "poor."

Beyond Tesla he was heavy in Bitcoin too.
I'm sure he's fine.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I did some searching and found him adding to his position in 2018, when the stock was about $20/share or less, which means he would still be up about 7X if he held. So concerns/schadenfreude are misplaced.

Oh yeah I’m sure he will be fine. It’s just amusing to watch some of those posts age like milk.

Reactions: Zorba

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This is my last post on this forum as this place is no longer fun or interesting and is now just full of toxic and miserable people. But I wanted to set records straight since couple posters here can’t seem to contain their joy and excitement and seem to be so happy someone who they don’t know in real life might be suffering financially. Bunch of miserable people and low lives. Sorry to disappoint you assholes but I still have plenty of fuck you money and am comfortably retired. Every time Tesla stock tanks, you asshats squeal in delight and come up with all kinds of crazy theories how I must be completely ruined and probably jumped off some tall building.

Like I said, sorry to disappoint you asshats. This isn’t my first rodeo. I traded and invested during the dot com boom and made my first million in my early 20s before suffering horribly in that crash. That taught me valuable but expensive lesson as I never wanted to go through that again. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. This time, I set aside enough fuck you money that dividend and interest income alone will sustain my lifestyle forever. I make money while I sleep, eat, fuck, shit, and travel. 24/7. I don’t need to get up everyday and go to shitty work that I hate and work for some unreasonable asshole until my body breaks down. I won my freedom and happily escaped the rat race while I am able to fully enjoy life. I always said I don’t need the highest score. If I only cared about having the most money, I would still be working. I’m happy to trade money for my time and freedom. Japan finally opened back up so I’ll be in Japan soon for a month to eat everything and spend my days learning to ski and evenings eating all the wonderful food and soaking my tired body in hot onsen baths. You guys can continue to spend your short remaining time on earth blaming others for your continued failures and miserable existence and try to drag everyone down to your level. I don’t want any part of that. No thanks.

So I leave you with this.

4NXh13il.jpg

As you can see, I’m up small amount for the past month while TSLA stock has dropped more than 25%. If I was married to TSLA stock, wouldn't I be down? I’m not going to BS and try to say this isn’t tough market to trade or invest especially if you’re long. But I’m doing just fine. I have fuck you money.

And I see couple asshats keep thinking I went all in on Bitcoin at the high. It’s true I bought Bitcoin in the $30k and $40k range. But I only put $55k total into all the crypto coins combined. That $55k was less than 1% of my liquid net worth. I completely sold out of bitcoin at $33k earlier this year once I saw it break support and realized that bitcoin was dot com crash and TSLA was QCOM of the Dotcom era. Again, sorry to disappoint some of you jealous losers. I will miss some the genuinely good people of this forum but most already left and only small few remain. For the small remaining gentle souls, I wish you good health and wonderful life! Farewell.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is my last post on this forum as this place is no longer fun or interesting and is now just full of toxic and miserable people. But I wanted to set records straight since couple posters here can’t seem to contain their joy and excitement and seem to be so happy someone who they don’t know in real life might be suffering financially. Bunch of miserable people and low lives. Sorry to disappoint you assholes but I still have plenty of fuck you money and am comfortably retired. Every time Tesla stock tanks, you asshats squeal in delight and come up with all kinds of crazy theories how I must be completely ruined and probably jumped off some tall building.

Like I said, sorry to disappoint you asshats. This isn’t my first rodeo. I traded and invested during the dot com boom and made my first million in my early 20s before suffering horribly in that crash. That taught me valuable but expensive lesson as I never wanted to go through that again. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. This time, I set aside enough fuck you money that dividend and interest income alone will sustain my lifestyle forever. I make money while I sleep, eat, fuck, shit, and travel. 24/7. I don’t need to get up everyday and go to shitty work that I hate and work for some unreasonable asshole until my body breaks down. I won my freedom and happily escaped the rat race while I am able to fully enjoy life. I always said I don’t need the highest score. If I only cared about having the most money, I would still be working. I’m happy to trade money for my time and freedom. Japan finally opened back up so I’ll be in Japan soon for a month to eat everything and spend my days learning to ski and evenings eating all the wonderful food and soaking my tired body in hot onsen baths. You guys can continue to spend your short remaining time on earth blaming others for your continued failures and miserable existence and try to drag everyone down to your level. I don’t want any part of that. No thanks.

4NXh13il.jpg

As you can see, I’m up small amount for the past month while TSLA stock has dropped more than 25%. If I was married to TSLA stock, wouldn't I be down? I’m not going to BS and try to say this isn’t tough market to trade or invest especially if you’re long. But I’m doing just fine. I have fuck you money.

And I see couple asshats keep thinking I went all in on Bitcoin at the high. It’s true I bought Bitcoin in the $30k and $40k range. But I only put $55k total into all the crypto coins combined. That $55k was less than 1% of my liquid net worth. I completely sold out of bitcoin at $33k earlier this year once I saw it break support and realized that bitcoin was dot com crash and TSLA was QCOM of the Dotcom era. Again, sorry to disappoint some of you jealous losers. I will miss some the genuinely good people of this forum but most already left and only small few remain. For the small remaining gentle souls, I wish you good health and wonderful life! Farewell.
I think people mostly reacted that way because you engaged with them like a toxic asshole before. Doesn't seem like much has changed, so good riddance!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
There is an awful lot of projection in that post. @ponyo no one gives a fuck how much money you have, the only reason you were called out is because you were such an arrogant asshole. This is a perfect example of money not buying happiness, this dude was miserable when he was working and is still miserable.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean dunking on someone just because of who they invest in is a bit shitty. I'm in no way an Elon or Tesla fan and I've disagreed with @ponyo about it. But the thing is it's OK to disagree with people, you don't have to dog pile on them.

He was dismissive of everyone else here as angry poors. I think this way well beyond his cult fetish with Elon.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

4NXh13il.jpg

Seriously? This isn't an airport. You don't have to announce your departure.

leave-facebook-group-meme.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

4NXh13il.jpg

Just for the record, I can be glad you're okay and still think you're arrogant. I've legitimately been concerned about you since you stopped posting around the time everything started tanking.

You were the one that gave everyone the impression you were married to Tesla/Musk and big on the coins, glad that wasn't correct.

I've never understood why you think you are the only well off person on this board and why that would make your opinion worth more, but I'm glad you find happiness in feeling superior about your wealth.