Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Someone with more time than me should do a quote chain with ponyo and his smug posts, with the price of TSLA at the time and the price now.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.... <gasp> ..... bwhahahahahahahahaha!

;)

Feb 4, 2009
Just imagine your whole career has been online advertising and this dude waltzes in and says "Nope". What a fucking tool.
Gonna step in here and this doesn’t mean Elon is Managing perfectly so hang in there.

My sense was Elon was trying to say Twitter has a unique opportunity to target ads differently and more efficiently than what’s been done before.
I have been in meetings with the same general tone as this one. Admittedly they weren’t marketing meetings but overall the tone sounded very familiar to me. This is simply Elons management style which in this clip doesn’t sound like it is working effectively with the people he was having the meeting with. Elon needed to communicate better and pause a bit so he could formulate a concise answer before speaking in my opinion.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Gonna step in here and this doesn’t mean Elon is Managing perfectly so hang in there.

My sense was Elon was trying to say Twitter has a unique opportunity to target ads differently and more efficiently than what’s been done before.
I have been in meetings with the same general tone as this one. Admittedly they weren’t marketing meetings but overall the tone sounded very familiar to me. This is simply Elons management style which in this clip doesn’t sound like it is working effectively with the people he was having the meeting with. Elon needed to communicate better and pause a bit so he could formulate a concise answer before speaking in my opinion.

Sure there may be other approaches to marketing but to dismiss that guy's opinion as completely irrelevant is stupid. Targeted marketing is a huge thing in the online space. He basically just called that nonsense. Idiotic.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why does anyone need your dumb fucking opinion or approval of what they do?

It's a free country, they are adults, live your own boring life, leave people alone and stop trying to repress them.

Seriously, just stfu and get a hobby.
How dare you try to take away a conservative's freedom to take away the freedoms of others?!?

Reactions: dank69
Feb 4, 2009
Sure there may be other approaches to marketing but to dismiss that guy's opinion as completely irrelevant is stupid. Targeted marketing is a huge thing in the online space. He basically just called that nonsense. Idiotic.
That’s my point Elon should have paused and thought of better words to use. We all fuck this up so I am not going to give Elon crap over missing the opportunity to do so.

Reactions: pcgeek11

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
"someone foolish enough to take the job" is an interesting admission. Someone was happily and competently doing the job until Musk fired everyone. My take is that Musk admits that working for Musk sucks.

Reactions: ZGR, dawp and Vic

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That’s my point Elon should have paused and thought of better words to use. We all fuck this up so I am not going to give Elon crap over missing the opportunity to do so.
Dude has been in leadership at a high level long enough to do better than this. From the actions he has taken so far at twitter the tone and arrogance on display in this clip probably align closely with how he has engaged with the twitter team in general. So yeah we should give him some crap about it. He is a big boy (he might be able to take it).

Reactions: Pens1566

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Dude has been in leadership at a high level long enough to do better than this. From the actions he has taken so far at twitter the tone and arrogance on display in this clip probably align closely with how he has engaged with the twitter team in general. So yeah we should give him some crap about it. He is a big boy (he might be able to take it).

Yeah, it's a shit management style.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah well I think he's proven over the years this is exactly who he is and it has nothing to do with trying to be better, this is who he is. He's an arrogant narcissistic egomaniac that is full of shit a lot of the time - this is that to a tee.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
It's obvious his companies are in a death spiral!

They say going woke is going broke but well all evidence to the contrary.

We have so many fascist banks and other companies pop up and they're all going bankrupt while woke companies are prospering since people are voting with their wallets!

Only exception is SpaceX and that's because government contracts prop it up..

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The main reason our data is so damn valuable is because advertisers want granular data. Because it works. Elon is like, nope, that's all nonsense.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

So much for emotional intelligence.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Same shit different day.

View attachment 73255

Space Karens best bet at this point might be to check into some rich boy recovery facility ... for substance abuse or depression or psychotic episode or xyz AND break up with his right wing lover boys in a public fashion. (Yes, that is you Rogan, Fox, Thiel etc).
BUT, that would require introspective capabilities.. so he will crash and burn. Elmo might just be *THE* firecracker of 2022.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Jesus Christ. I know the board is full of his taint lickers, but at what point do they start getting into legal trouble area for fiduciary issues? Any normal board would have thrown him out a long time ago.

Hard to throw him out when between himself/family/friends, he controls a lot of stock, and still has a lot of fans among stock holders.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Hard to throw him out when between himself/family/friends, he controls a lot of stock, and still has a lot of fans among stock holders.

I agree it's difficult, but they have a duty to shareholders first and foremost that could put them in legal jeopardy. It doesn't matter who owns them, they have to do what is best for the share price. This free fall is pretty obviously pinned to his takeover of twitter, sales of his shares, and behavior on twitter.

Same reason the twitter board voted to approve the sale because it was the best $$$ result for shareholders.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Dude stands to have lost, at current, more than half his savings… while being a goof ball do we really wanna revel in his misfortune?
I feel bad for the guy, but he made many asshole comments about anyone that disagreed with him being upset they "missed out" and we're upset they were "poor."

Beyond Tesla he was heavy in Bitcoin too.