Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 208 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I have no opinion as to if SpaceX will go to Mars or not (I don’t care) but I think SpaceX has dramatically improved the world by cutting the costs to put something into orbit into a tiny fraction of what it cost not very long ago. This is a major achievement that should not be glossed over. People will say this is due to government contracts and sure but ULA had access to the same contracts (and more, really) and didn’t do shit.

Agreed. Both SpaceX and Tesla are companies doing impressive work. It's OK to say that. Doesn't' make Musk a decent human being.

I definitely agree that Thiel is trying to end democracy, he’s made no secret of it, but I’m not so sure about Musk. He might be, but considering the almost comical levels of incompetence he’s shown here so far my bets are hedged on the side of stupidity and neediness.

Yeah, Musk seems more like a useful idiot for the real players, and he seems fairly easy to manipulate, with his fragile ego.

Twitter before Musk did not operate in China precisely for this reason so China had no leverage. Now China has massive leverage over Twitter and it’s very clear Musk knows it.

I keep waiting for a Chinese official to complain about something on Twitter, and see Musk snap into line.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Can you short your own stock?
I bet he could make Thiel do it.
Maybe, just maybe, he is working to make it decline to a certain number where, say Thiel, cashes out. That’d be insane. And sure sounds like Musk is on team #enddemocracy right now.
Worst possible scenario: Elmo is in fact not being a dumbass.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of Peter Thiel. His "The Right Stuff" dating app is floundering. App downloads are dwindling and it’s still only available on Apple.

Who'd a thunk it!, because that’s what most guys always wanted – a dating site where they might be able to hook up with the equivalent of Marjorie Taylor-Greene!

Reactions: cytg111

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Speaking of Peter Thiel. His "The Right Stuff" dating app is floundering. App downloads are dwindling and it’s still only available on Apple.

Who'd a thunk it!, because that’s what most guys always wanted – a dating site where they might be able to hook up with the equivalent of Marjorie Taylor-Greene!

I thought they wanted Trad Wives!

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I deleted my Twitter account months ago, but my daughter still has hers. She was telling me that this afternoon that she's logged into her account on her desktop, but if she tries to log in on her phone it just tells her she's already logged in.

I guess Musk has decided using more than one device to access Twitter is “woke” or something.

Reactions: Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Agreed. Both SpaceX and Tesla are companies doing impressive work. It's OK to say that. Doesn't' make Musk a decent human being.

Yeah, Musk seems more like a useful idiot for the real players, and he seems fairly easy to manipulate, with his fragile ego.

I keep waiting for a Chinese official to complain about something on Twitter, and see Musk snap into line.
I think it is already happening. I have not verified this myself but can anyone find a single, solitary time Musk has criticized the Chinese government in recent years?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
1672425657687.png

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
View attachment 73680

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Something something excessive ha ha’s

Reactions: Indus

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think Sartre nailed these guys a long time ago. This nonsense is a feature, not a bug.

That being said, when it comes to Musk my armchair diagnosis is that he desperately craves positive attention. Liberals stopped giving it to him so he's mad at them and wants to hurt them (or their feelings, or whatever). Conservatives give him the adulation he needs so desperately so he's willing to play along to keep that validation going. I do think he shares some genuine right wing beliefs with them such as hostility towards transgender people and things like that but it seems those also stem from his ego being wounded.
Why doesn't he just buy a Vette, a big hog, or a loaded truck you have to use a step ladder to get into and get over his mid-life crisis , like most affluent emasculated white males do.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

And all the pretty lib girls just wanna have fun, own their own lives and bodies while sticking it to those adulterating hypocritical conservative males who believe the world is still living in the 18th century where men were "real men" and women knew their place was in the home. You got'ta love those throwbacks trying to keep the world from spinning. Fuck'in a-holes the lot of them not realizing the world is moving on without them while everyone else is waving goodbye, slowly turning their heads from side to side and calling out "sayonara suckers!"

Reactions: Leeea and hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Newscaster: What is Elon Musk's biggest accomplishment in 2022? He lost the GDP of Greece.

Edit: to the two people shocked by that line, it's a joke I made up, no actual newscaster involved.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Paying people to work is only something the poors do. Get with the program!
Being fair and yes Elon is a turd. Seems like he’s asking for folks to work overtime, not work overtime for free. I’ll take the feedback that salaried people don’t get overtime. Since this is regarding Tesla production I assume the majority are not salaried.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Being fair and yes Elon is a turd. Seems like he’s asking for folks to work overtime, not work overtime for free. I’ll take the feedback that salaried people don’t get overtime. Since this is regarding Tesla production I assume the majority are not salaried.
He isn't talking about asking factory workers to work longer. Its clearly about cars that are already produced and in the delivery pipeline. He is trying to book as many sales as possible for revenue reasons before the quarter closes. How local Tesla employees are compensated I have no idea. So yeah some of them could be getting paid overtime. I'm not counting on it though.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
He isn't talking about asking factory workers to work longer. Its clearly about cars that are already produced and in the delivery pipeline. He is trying to book as many sales as possible for revenue reasons before the quarter closes. How local Tesla employees are compensated I have no idea. So yeah some of them could be getting paid overtime. I'm not counting on it though.
I mean considering Elon expects people to work 80 hours a week on salary with no overtime I don't know why he gets any benefit of the doubt here.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I mean considering Elon expects people to work 80 hours a week on salary with no overtime I don't know why he gets any benefit of the doubt here.

Even the chinese do 9 9 6. 72 hours a week.

Other than slavery I don't think he's gonna find willing workers for that.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Why doesn't he just buy a Vette, a big hog, or a loaded truck you have to use a step ladder to get into and get over his mid-life crisis , like most affluent emasculated white males do.

Getting a vette isn't easy as it seems!

A friend always buys them and is on a 9 month waitlist.

Reactions: ZGR and hal2kilo

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
He's just beyond pathetic at this point

Elon Musk falls for dumb Hooters rumor (msn.com)

So when a rumor popped up that sports-focused “breastaurant” Hooters was going to have to shut down because millennials aren’t interested, he was all too eager to jump on the bandwagon....The whole “millennials are killing” genre is a pretty tired and overworked meme, especially considering millennials are approaching middle age at this point. But if there’s anyone who is a sucker for the kind of dumb “woke” story that your conservative uncle mentioned to you six months ago, it’s Elon Musk.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You don’t think so? I’ve seen enough Americans defend the rich and corporations for actions that hurt “the little people”, that I wouldn’t be so sure.

Maybe some wanna be americans who are desperate to prove they're good enough to get a green card!

Reactions: ivwshane

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Not that it matters much, but I deleted my Twitter account/removed the app today.
I rarely used it.

Reactions: Vic