Elijah McClain yet another black man killed by police

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think the cops will go down for manslaughter here. Certainly for excessive force. There was no justification for even the stop, let alone the force which was applied subsequent to it.

The paramedics, I'm not sure. ME's report identifies a few factors as CoD. It seems the effect of the drug combined with the bodily stress of being choked. Did the paramedics know about the choking and physical stress? Was the dosage of K pretty standard under the circumstances? It seems like the death may not have been foreseeable to the paramedics.

Reactions: HurleyBird

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Join the club......that`s why qualified immunity needs to be abolished!
All a cop has to do is say -- I thought he had a gun.......or he was reaching for a gun......or i was afraid for my life.......several comments on the above...
#1 --- several years ago if a cop said - "I thought he had a gun" -- the cop would not be prosecuted for killing somebody!
#2 -- see number 1!!!
#3 -- if you are a cop and you are afraid for your life why are you F#$%KING cop???

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, I'm tired of lying cops who use the "he was grabbing for my gun" bullshit to justify their behavior. I'm glad they were charged.

aren't you like one of the resident fascist racists? your name is familiar.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think the cops will go down for manslaughter here. Certainly for excessive force. There was no justification for even the stop, let alone the force which was applied subsequent to it.

The paramedics, I'm not sure. ME's report identifies a few factors as CoD. It seems the effect of the drug combined with the bodily stress of being choked. Did the paramedics know about the choking and physical stress? Was the dosage of K pretty standard under the circumstances? It seems like the death may not have been foreseeable to the paramedics.
I love to know what medical profession thinks giving a dissociative anesthetic in this situation is even slightly appropriate. Guy was sent to the planet of non ordinary reality in the middle of getting strangled to death.

Feb 4, 2009

To my understanding and figure may be slightly off.
Victim weighed 140 pounds and was given a dose of K for a 200 or 225 pound man.
To me this is a great example of how the cops got lazy. They figured out a way to prevent someone who looks like they can run fast from running fast, thus making it easier and less effort for them to catch him assuming he runs.
Teacher I had many years ago always said love the Police, pay the Police well and expect them to do their jobs and NEVER allow the Police to get lazy.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
aren't you like one of the resident fascist racists? your name is familiar.
aren't you like one of the resident jobless gay retards? your name is familiar.

We do not condone the use of the 'R' word here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The cops didn't kill him, the paramedics did. Yes the cops were systemically raciest, and during COVID, you need to wear a mask, so wearing a mask under suspicion is sort of stupid as a defense. Also where is the body cam of him trying to go after the gun. There should of been multiple body cam's aimed at the person, which ultimately would be the final jury call if he did reach out of the gun. However again, its still moot, the cops did not kill him, the paramedics did. They probably thought it was better to pacify with a narcotic vs have him go though a emotional breakdown.

Also im fairly sure there are crash carts in the paramedic van.
So either someone pushed way too much beyond normal dosages, or they got the number wrong.
The two paramedics are being charged too, they said a most unusual circumstance on the TV news.

All those guys need to get convicted and put behind bars for a good spell. Cops, paramedics too, need to think they better not fuck up, be lazy, ignorant, vindictive, administering their own idea of punishment for fear of the legal apparatus crushing them. Those people all too often have the attitude that they can do what they want, the system will protect them, the police union will make sure they don't get prosecuted.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Two of the cops have been tried and the verdict is in but has not been read yet. They were charged with manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and second-degree assault.

edit: One guilty, one not.

"The jury found Aurora Officer Randy Roedema, who is currently suspended, guilty of criminally negligent homicide as well as guilty of third-degree assault. Former Aurora Police Officer Jason Rosenblatt was found not guilty of manslaughter and criminally neglegent homicide as well as not guilty of assault in connection with the Aug. 24, 2019 arrest and death of the 23-year-old McClain."

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Reactions: KMFJD

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
Feels like you just love it that way. Like you see what was done to that poor kid and you just smirk and shrug, "Nothing can be done."
I am looking at the realities of white middle class America, who see cops as heroes, especially after 9/11.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"Nothing can be done".

I wonder if that is a direct result of our Second Amendment. America being armed and dangerous "forces" our police to be trained and respond to every situation as a threat. Where they must use escalatory force and violence to enact control. Even when that control is over an innocent man convulsing over being beaten to death.

There is a line to be drawn by connecting the dots. From 2A, to guns, to police training and public expectations of encounters. It should not be this way, but there is a very distinct reason why it is. The danger and fear on our streets provides cover for and clouds the issue of police brutality. Of outright murder.

It needs to change. It needs to BE changed. People need to take action.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I am looking at the realities of white middle class America, who see cops as heroes, especially after 9/11.
Assuming that is true how do you explain Jan 6?

I think Americans as a whole are pro good policing. It seems only a segment of the population is concerned about police corruption.

PumpkinCake

Nov 2, 2023
"Nothing can be done".

I wonder if that is a direct result of our Second Amendment. America being armed and dangerous "forces" our police to be trained and respond to every situation as a threat. Where they must use escalatory force and violence to enact control. Even when that control is over an innocent man convulsing over being beaten to death.

There is a line to be drawn by connecting the dots. From 2A, to guns, to police training and public expectations of encounters. It should not be this way, but there is a very distinct reason why it is. The danger and fear on our streets provides cover for and clouds the issue of police brutality. Of outright murder.

It needs to change. It needs to BE changed. People need to take action.

Unfortunately, and I say this even as a firearm owner, the Clintons really fucked this up when they got everyone to agree to "common sense gun control" then rammed a bunch of absolutely stupid ass laws down everyone's throats. If they were honest, and really did focus on common sense gun control (instead of bizarre magazine restrictions no criminal would follow, and the "AWB") we would be in a much different place today.

What you have now is, burned 2nd amendment group once, now they aren't willing to compromise.

Plus, there are too many guns at this point. Outlawing anything isn't going to cause criminals to wake up. What we need, are MUCH stricter sentences on violent crime. But, dem led major cities for whatever reason are very against that.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Unfortunately, and I say this even as a firearm owner, the Clintons really fucked this up when they got everyone to agree to "common sense gun control" then rammed a bunch of absolutely stupid ass laws down everyone's throats. If they were honest, and really did focus on common sense gun control (instead of bizarre magazine restrictions no criminal would follow, and the "AWB") we would be in a much different place today.

What you have now is, burned 2nd amendment group once, now they aren't willing to compromise.

Plus, there are too many guns at this point. Outlawing anything isn't going to cause criminals to wake up. What we need, are MUCH stricter sentences on violent crime. But, dem led major cities for whatever reason are very against that.
Sure. How about automatic death penalty for the firearm owner for any criminal, accidental, or unauthorized use of the firearm.

As a gun owner you know you have to treat any gun as loaded and could potentially kill you if it’s not treated with respect - we’ll just make that the actual case legally.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Yet another right wing talking point. Centrist my ass.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What's your evidence for this? Remember you specifically said "violent crime".
I'll translate for him.

Young people breaking into a Nike to steal shoes.

It doesn't include,
People storming the capital on Jan 6.
People training their rifles at federal agents who are enforcing the law.
People shooting through their front door just because someone rang the bell.

Mar 11, 2004
At some point you'd think you'd learn to stop responding to every single trollbait post.

Yet another right wing talking point. Centrist my ass.

Just stop responding to the losers jerking off their surrogate penises.

What's your evidence for this? Remember you specifically said "violent crime".

You already know its his ass, the question is why do you want to see/smell it?