Elijah McClain yet another black man killed by police

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cliff notes: Elijah on way home from the store. He was wearing a ski mask. He's a serious introvert and frequently wears the mask in public because of his anemia. Police got a phone call someone acting suspicious. Police approached him wanting to stop him for questioning. Elijah asks why. Police put hands on him. He cries out "I'm a introvert please respect my boundaries".

Police put him in choke hold. He cries out starts to vomit. Police make fun of him vomiting. They claim he tried to grab his gun. Paramedics show up. They give him ketamine. He weighed less then 140 lbs the dosage puts him in a coma and he dies later.

Items of note" The claim of "he's grabbing your gun" was complete bullshit. When it was first said the cops tone was of someone making the story up. No prints from Elijah were found on the gun or holster.

Police had no grounds to detain him. Elijah told him he had issues being an introvert and they just escalated the situation.

Leaving for your review. There is more information out there. Currently the Colorado DA is reviewing the case.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This is yet another tragedy. On the good side, an independent investigation will happen, but at least now it appears the officers went too far. Hopefully after an investigation they will be prosecuted under the full penalty of the law. This action would fall under the federal jurisdiction if the Republican's police reform bill were passed.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Suspiciously paying for some stuff

911 call and video
No one in danger

mcclain-final-words.png

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I saw the video on TV last night. They did not preface it saying that it was difficult to watch, but honestly I found it harder than any of the others they always say that about. The poor kid (23) was pleading for them to let him go, he was terrified out of his mind. Those cops should go to jail for at least 5 years. It was more than pathetic and disgraceful, it was a horrible travesty.

They had no reason to stop him. Somebody thought he was suspicious because he was masked. There are many blacks who are afraid to wear a mask because people will do just this, report them as a suspicious character.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I guess his crime was being different. Oh well we all know those black people are always guilty of something.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
IIRC this happend last year. Surprised it didn't blow up more at the time for how heinous it is.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Un-F'ing believable so because a black man was wearing a mask it wound up costing his life. He didn't appear "normal" enough to them so he was subject too detainment, the guy had committed no crime nor was he ever accused of committing any, what assholes.

Reactions: dank69

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This video has me in tears. Even more the George Floyd. Today the mother wonders, what took so long for the public to become aware. Let the excuses continue that we don't a race problem in this country at the level of a pandemic. No not the pure numbers of dead but the effect on society

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
These three need to face charges and be removed from the PD.
It's a really hard watch.

Reactions: Muse

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
So awful. Beyond awful. One of the saddest sidelights is that all the police personnel involved in the tragic ending of this entirely innocent young man's life don't appear to be primitive racists . . . AND YET, COLLECTIVELY, THEY TOOK THIS YOUNG MAN'S LIFE.

This is a prime example of "systemic racism" and is why those who say entire police forces need to be torn down and replaced have a compelling point. :(

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So awful. Beyond awful. One of the saddest sidelights is that all the police personnel involved in the tragic ending of this entirely innocent young man's life don't appear to be primitive racists . . . AND YET, COLLECTIVELY, THEY TOOK THIS YOUNG MAN'S LIFE.

This is a prime example of "systemic racism" and is why those who say entire police forces need to be torn down and replaced have a compelling point. :(
Unfortunately, there are many who don't understand that even individuals who may, themselves, not be what we colloquially consider "racist" are deeply affected by the racism which is baked into the system.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Unfortunately, there are many who don't understand that even individuals who may, themselves, not be what we colloquially consider "racist" are deeply affected by the racism which is baked into the system.

"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I agree with the prior posts. This was August 2019. This is the stuff that gets missed because we have a President that does crazy stuff everyday and never stops. It diverts us from things like this that really matter.

I am sure the cases we all know about are a small fraction of the ones that actually happen. I ask my police friends how this can happen and they constantly have excuses. As much as I love them, I feel many are rotten, the ones who are not rationalize events like this and are psychologically powerless to act. It is like they are brainwashed.

I can hardly wait for the random post here to say, “Well I stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem. I would never knell.” This gets all over me because one of the most respectful things you can do in church is knell. It’s like they are just complying with the person who told them knelling is bad for the National Anthem, while the father/preacher/reverend tells them to knell and they abide them too, mindlessly.

Nov 29, 2006
Disgusting how bad police are. They try to play it off as a few bad apples, but damn that whole bunch is spoiled.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My question is a simple one.....Why is the media not reporting all the white people who are being killed by the Police??
This can`t be just be people of color thing, can it?
I mean seriously if there are truly more white killings across the board why are they not being reported?
I mean the cops can`t be that afraid of a person of color....can they?
It appears to me that those who would claim otherwise that there really is a problem with Policing in America!!
and then you have this...
105587311_10159808786338644_192927472551846485_o.jpg

Reactions: HomerJS

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Jesus Christ, why the fuck would the paramedics give someone ketamine? Versed or haldol or benadryl would sedate, ketamine is basically a fucking anesthetic that usually requires a doctor to push.

Reactions: dank69 and BUTCH1

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Jesus Christ, why the fuck would the paramedics give someone ketamine? Versed or haldol or benadryl would sedate, ketamine is basically a fucking anesthetic that usually requires a doctor to push.
Medics use ketamine like crazy. Around here, the cops tell the medics to give it. There was a lawsuit about it. I agree, its bonkers. Lastly, the guy didn't need any of these meds. He was attacked and was vomiting. He needed compassion and care, not medication to make him calm.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Medics use ketamine like crazy. Around here, the cops tell the medics to give it. There was a lawsuit about it. I agree, its bonkers. Lastly, the guy didn't need any of these meds. He was attacked and was vomiting. He needed compassion and care, not medication to make him calm.
Yikes, ketamine is something that we use very sparingly in the ED, with a MD right there pushing it, a code cart, and respiratory standing by.

Giving that in the field sounds like a recipe for death...like, you know...here.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This is a prime example of "systemic racism"...

It is a prime example of police brutality and violence.

People react when being assaulted. Police use that reaction as an excuse to escalate, to outright murder. They act like military conducting themselves in a war zone. This will result in casualties no matter what color your skin is.

Paramedics show up. They give him ketamine. He weighed less then 140 lbs the dosage puts him in a coma and he dies later.

Though in this specific case, it sounds like the paramedics killed him. Unless he had a heart condition that being assaulted and pinned aggravated.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Yikes, ketamine is something that we use very sparingly in the ED, with a MD right there pushing it, a code cart, and respiratory standing by.

Giving that in the field sounds like a recipe for death...like, you know...here.
Yep. Read this. There are many articles about this "study".

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Yep. Read this. There are many articles about this "study".

Ketamine is an amazing drug, but holy shit, the few times I've been there while the MD pushed it, has been flanked with a code cart and RT, because it's not just ativan or versed or even fantanyl. Trying to picture paramedics with standing orders to push ketamine in the field just doesn't feel right, never mind this "study'.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It is a prime example of police brutality and violence.

People react when being assaulted. Police use that reaction as an excuse to escalate, to outright murder. They act like military conducting themselves in a war zone. This will result in casualties no matter what color your skin is.

Though in this specific case, it sounds like the paramedics killed him. Unless he had a heart condition that being assaulted and pinned aggravated.
Police were in charge of the scene

Police had ZERO cause to stop Elijah

Police escalated the situation from start to finish

This is both a case police violence triggered by systemic racism. Again, there was ZERO cause to detain him in the first place.