Elder Scrolls Online release date 4-4-14

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
After playing through the betas, it's the most fun MMORPG I've played in some time. Unfortunately, I don't have time for a MMORPG in my life, so I won't be buying it.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I don't understand the whining about a 15.00 per month fee.

I don't understand why not wanting something means you're "whining." The game's $60 as it is, and they then add $180/year to the cost. It's an expensive proposition, when you consider that almost everything outside of the MMO realm is $60 and nothing else. If those non-MMOs offer DLC, it's $20-50 for a year of it.

MMOs get stale quickly, in my opinion. I stopped WoW because I couldn't justify $15/month when I'd get bored after 2-4 months. The content is highly redundant if you don't do PvP, and new stuff takes too long to come out (waiting 6 months for a WoW patch was awful).

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Oh I would expect rabid whining. Even if they manage to get some kind of balance.

One question. Will they be implementing a pvp leveling system like DAOCs realm rank? I always felt that was a great system for post 50 leveling.

They already have an RvR ladder system, with the ultimate reward being that you can be crowned as emperor. Have no idea what that actually means, since I only made it into a little rvr toward the end of the beta.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Glad to see some positive news about the game. I'm really starved for an immersive MMO that will hold my attention for a few months. Leaning towards buying this one if my brothers and friends do as well.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I don't understand why not wanting something means you're "whining." The game's $60 as it is, and they then add $180/year to the cost. It's an expensive proposition, when you consider that almost everything outside of the MMO realm is $60 and nothing else. If those non-MMOs offer DLC, it's $20-50 for a year of it.

MMOs get stale quickly, in my opinion. I stopped WoW because I couldn't justify $15/month when I'd get bored after 2-4 months. The content is highly redundant if you don't do PvP, and new stuff takes too long to come out (waiting 6 months for a WoW patch was awful).

Other games don't get content updates. WoW is a TERRIBLE comparison. I don't understand why people ever accepted Blizzard's slow turnout of content. Good games like AC have monthly content patches. WoW got boring after 2-3 months like you said. That is a boring, boring game.

Your choice not to do pvp. Might want to find a game without it then.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Oh I would expect rabid whining. Even if they manage to get some kind of balance.

One question. Will they be implementing a pvp leveling system like DAOCs realm rank? I always felt that was a great system for post 50 leveling.

There are 10 veteran levels, but I don't know if these are pvp based or not.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

The subscription cost doesn't really only cover the cost of new development additions to an MMO. It's the cost to keep a persistent game world up.

A Call of Duty server goes down while playing? No problem, just hop on another server that someone else is hosting. Cheating is managed to a degree by the server admin if the game allows local hosting.

That's great for some games and not for others. There are MMO "lite" games that do such a thing for those people drawn to less than persistent world server.

F2P MMOs get away with their model because typically less people are playing a game that is F2P. WoW has millions of subscribers, where as most F2P MMOs have thousands. It's an order of magnitude that requires more money to function with the same consistency for all players to manage. That is what the subscription cost of games that have a huge amount of players and a persistent world to manage goes towards. Any extra content delivered is icing on the cake.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011

On the other hand, I can't think of the last non-mmo that I played for 2-4 months, let alone longer.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Left 4 Dead 2
League of Legends

Those two come off the top of my head.

For me:

Everquest : 3 years from '99 to 02. Still the most memorable MMO for me. Subpar graphics but amazing dungeons and huge world.
DAoC: 2 years. Great freaking time doing RvR until ToA ruined it.
WoW: 2 years. Never liked it, just played because a friend of mine also played it.
RIFT: <1 year. Was very addictive, loved the soul system and loved how hard the t1/t2 dungeons were before all the nerfs. After too much raiding I finally burnt out 2/3 way through HK.

EDIT: nevermind. Didn't notice it said non-mmo :)

I'm hoping ESO can keep me entertained for several months at least.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh why are cloaks so difficult to offer in these games? GW2 never had them while I played. Do they yet? This one doesn't have them out of the gate. DAOC, UO ect all had them over a decade ago.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Heh why are cloaks so difficult to offer in these games? GW2 never had them while I played. Do they yet? This one doesn't have them out of the gate. DAOC, UO ect all had them over a decade ago.

Cloaks, and underwater swimming/fighting are two features I wish were in there. I was sorry to see the underwater environment removed from the ES engine with Oblivion. It's even more fun in pvp. Just another way in which the environments in these games have become less exciting, along with the shrinking vistas and having basically everything in the world that matters laid out along paths so absolutely nobody can miss anything important.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Cloaks are such a simple item to model. And it really makes your avatar look great in these games imo. Just baffling why they cant get them in.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
That AMA summary honestly removed most of my desire to play this, which wasn't all that strong to begin with. I honestly am not sure Matt gets what the playerbase actually liked about RvR in DAoC. They had a winning combination from the get-go with the old frontiers and then basically proceeded over the next four years to dismantle it with gimmicky mechanisms. This doesn't seem like a change from that failed philosophy.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Paradox strategy games I play for years
CKII would probably be the closest for me (I swear I'm going to go back and play a Byzantine game one of these days), and I know there are people who play MOBAs or FPS games for ages, but still. I just can't bring myself to get worked up about the idea that I might "only" play a subscription-based MMO for 4 months. In the larger scheme of things, it's still pretty danged cheap entertainment.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
CKII would probably be the closest for me (I swear I'm going to go back and play a Byzantine game one of these days), and I know there are people who play MOBAs or FPS games for ages, but still. I just can't bring myself to get worked up about the idea that I might "only" play a subscription-based MMO for 4 months. In the larger scheme of things, it's still pretty danged cheap entertainment.
Yes, I don't understand why people think an MMO sucks if they only play it for 2 months. I ask "but, did you have fun in those months?" and usually the answer is "Well, yes, but I ran out of things to do". My response then is "so, how is that different from a single player game that you finish in 2 or 3 weeks?". The reality is that, it isn't. If you have fun with a game (MMO or not) then you have fun with the game, regardless if it's 1 month or 1 year. Even if you play just the included month, it's already cheaper than a normal single player game that costs the same and you finish in 2 weeks.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Playing Wildstar beta right now and its pretty damn meh. Also has a ton of performance issues as my GTX660 lags to all hell on high. I am glad I preordered ESO as I enjoyed the beta a lot more.

jedolley

Mar 14, 2009
Yes, I don't understand why people think an MMO sucks if they only play it for 2 months. I ask "but, did you have fun in those months?" and usually the answer is "Well, yes, but I ran out of things to do". My response then is "so, how is that different from a single player game that you finish in 2 or 3 weeks?". The reality is that, it isn't. If you have fun with a game (MMO or not) then you have fun with the game, regardless if it's 1 month or 1 year. Even if you play just the included month, it's already cheaper than a normal single player game that costs the same and you finish in 2 weeks.

That's kind of the problem with Betas with some people... People are super excited to try something out for free, but some of them forget it's a beta (i.e. performance/bug issues) and others forget that it's temporary and will be wiped. If I get into a beta I usually play just enough to determine if I like enough for launch so that I don't "spoil" the game for myself.

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
Playing Wildstar beta right now and its pretty damn meh. Also has a ton of performance issues as my GTX660 lags to all hell on high. I am glad I preordered ESO as I enjoyed the beta a lot more.

This. I've been trying the Beta today and I just cant get into it. It makes me look forward to ESO next weekend. Wildstar just isnt doing it for me. I must be an anomaly thought because all of my friends are lapping it up.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
THe more I played the beta the more I enjoyed it. I've pre-ordered it. Even if I only get 50 hours out of it, that's still more than what you get from most single player games.

I'm gonna solo most of it though. Dead man walking.

Has anyone played in all three factions? Which environment was the most interesting?

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
Has anyone played in all three factions? Which environment was the most interesting?

Before the latest beta (in which they eliminated the starting islands), I did starting island runs with a Breton, a Nord, and a Bosmer (who I named "Higgs Bosmer"... hehe) to get a taste of all three factions. The EP's starting island--an island off the coast of Skyrim--was easily the most boring, esp. since I've played so much Skyrim.

I'm neutral about the AD's starting island. It was okay, but I was never a fan of either the Khajit nor the Altmer races, so the setting didn't work for me that well.

I had fun with the DC's starting island and felt there was good variety there.

But those starting islands are now optional, so that's... eh. Why not just create a character for each faction, play a couple hours of each, and then decide which one to use to push through to the end?

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
That AMA summary honestly removed most of my desire to play this, which wasn't all that strong to begin with. I honestly am not sure Matt gets what the playerbase actually liked about RvR in DAoC. They had a winning combination from the get-go with the old frontiers and then basically proceeded over the next four years to dismantle it with gimmicky mechanisms. This doesn't seem like a change from that failed philosophy.

I cannot agree with this outlook more. They took what was already proven to not work well, smashed some elder scrolls into it and are calling it good enough. It's a shame, too.