FrankieXenon

Jul 2, 2018
After installing my new Asus RT-AC68U, its been great except when I'm downloading something. I'm the only one connected to the ethernet, and so when I download a game. Everyone on the network gets slowed down by a lot. Loading pictures on social media takes time. I get 60MBPS download and upload. But this issue never happened on my old Verizon Actiontec Router. Only on the new one. Has anyone else ran into this issue previously? Also my router is plugged into my verizon box using ethernet. Coax has been disabled.

Edit: Sorry I meant 60Mbps haha. Not MB

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, a few things to check. 60MB/sec (Mega Bytes) is 480 Mb/sec (Mega Bits). So you're routing WAN-LAN at 480Mbit/sec. I was getting 300Mbit/sec routing in software using Shibby Tomato firmware on the same hardware. So perhaps the stock factory firmware is more efficient.

But when I enabled "CTF" (hardware NAT), I was able to route a whole nearly a Gigabit/sec. Try that.

Secondarily, did you enable QoS or URL/domain filtering? With a Gigabit Internet pipe, DONT do that. It will force software routing on that router.

Edit: Oh, you're saiyng that you are on ethernet, and everyone else is on the wifi? And that your heavy downloads, cause their wifi to lag? The AC68U has a dual-core CPU, but I don't think that it has a dedicated CPU just for the wifi handling, like the AC87U (I think) does. So possibly, consider an upgrade?

That is, if it isn't a bandwidth problem. If you only have a 500Mbit/sec pipe, then it probably is a bandwidth problem, and you should upgrade to Gigabit/sec internet.

edit: When you say "Download", do you mean HTTP / HTTPS / FTP? Or Torrents?

If Torrents, then you'll need to set QoS on the router, or lower the bandwidth / connection limit of your torrent client.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankieXenon

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Luckily the QOS option on the ASUS is very easy to use. I believe it has three types. Choose the one that lets you set downloads to the lowest priority. Also when you enter the download/upload speeds don't switch them, like I did. Yes, It goes against what most people like, but do put in 90-95% of your tested download speed in the QOS download. Yes, it limits your max speed, but QOS will kick in more effectively for everyone else.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You have to apportion the bandwidth just as others have stated. I also have an asus router, rt-ac88u, and it does the same thing if left to its own. Usually I set the limits in the software I'm using so it doesn't exceed whatever limits I've placed on it to maintain bandwidth to all of the clients.

FrankieXenon

Jul 2, 2018
Well, a few things to check. 60MB/sec (Mega Bytes) is 480 Mb/sec (Mega Bits). So you're routing WAN-LAN at 480Mbit/sec. I was getting 300Mbit/sec routing in software using Shibby Tomato firmware on the same hardware. So perhaps the stock factory firmware is more efficient.

But when I enabled "CTF" (hardware NAT), I was able to route a whole nearly a Gigabit/sec. Try that.

Secondarily, did you enable QoS or URL/domain filtering? With a Gigabit Internet pipe, DONT do that. It will force software routing on that router.

Edit: Oh, you're saiyng that you are on ethernet, and everyone else is on the wifi? And that your heavy downloads, cause their wifi to lag? The AC68U has a dual-core CPU, but I don't think that it has a dedicated CPU just for the wifi handling, like the AC87U (I think) does. So possibly, consider an upgrade?

That is, if it isn't a bandwidth problem. If you only have a 500Mbit/sec pipe, then it probably is a bandwidth problem, and you should upgrade to Gigabit/sec internet.

edit: When you say "Download", do you mean HTTP / HTTPS / FTP? Or Torrents?

If Torrents, then you'll need to set QoS on the router, or lower the bandwidth / connection limit of your torrent client.

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I meant 60Mbps, not 60MBps haha. I currently have QoS off. I'll try enabling it and see if there is a difference. Yes, I'm the only person on Ethernet. My router is directly connected to the Verzion box located outside of my house. As i have disabled coax due to other issues with bridging my old Actiontec. Downloading games through steam or origin usually slows down everyones internet.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Enable "QoS" or "Quality of Service"

Some routers expect you to enter the maximum upload / download speed of your Internet connection. Some have an "automatic" setting.

More often than not, saturated upload capacity is what kills Internet for the rest of the household.

Feb 25, 2011
Enable "QoS" or "Quality of Service"

Some routers expect you to enter the maximum upload / download speed of your Internet connection. Some have an "automatic" setting.

More often than not, saturated upload capacity is what kills Internet for the rest of the household.
So much this.