News Dow bouncing around -1000

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone want to take a guess at how much the Trump Administration will add to the national debt in the eight years he will be in office.

America is so so dumb. He will be re elected. And at worst, he will have congress remove presidential term limits so he can grace us for another decade or two.

Yes, I think the latter is a possibility.

$30 trillion. That's just the base, and would balloon higher if we end up in a war. And that's before we get to the long term issues too. The US might never recover from Turmp. And that's if there isn't some insanity like you say.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The Fed would like to copy China's playbook. Their markets only went down like 10% before massive stimulus and they managed to levitate their markets at that level during the entire shutdown. Of course long term inflation effects of this will be insane.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Chamath Palihapitiya telling the absolute truth. This bailout is for the rich and not Main Street. American people are getting screwed so hard again. Even worse than 2008. It's creating zombie companies and the equities market is disconnected with reality due to Fed's action. There's no true price discovery at the moment due to Fed's action.

Must listen interview IMO.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Poor day traders.

Big drop. Dow -1862

Realities of where we are at with COVID-19 and how that will still be affecting business in the future, come home to roost. Oh, Trump, there's still a pandemic going on.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Poor day traders.

Big drop. Dow -1862

Realities of where we are at with COVID-19 and how that will still be affecting business in the future, come home to roost. Oh, Trump, there's still a pandemic going on.

You realize he’ll just deny this has anything to do with the raging pandemic and just blame ANTIFA and BLM, right? Tweet incoming...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Poor day traders.

Big drop. Dow -1862

Dude it’s just the flaming embers nothing to see as 1000 Americans a day die.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Did you guys ever buy in?

Yeah, a big drop Thrs, but it was back over 27k.
AAPL new highs at $350.
TSLA over $1k again...

Yeah the covvy is still a problem, but the rich still have all the money and the Fed will keep pumping them up, so it will find its way into the market.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Yea I got a little. ;)

Yeah, I'm sitting a bit heavy in cash (20%) so I don't mind a pullback to find some deals again really.

Want the pandemic to go away of course, but can't say this has hurt my retirement portfolio. They live in two separate universes.

Reactions: hal2kilo

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Got some Disney, Starbucks, and airline stocks. I didn't load up on as nearly as many as I should have, but I've made about $500 from them (100% return).

Reactions: Bitek

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Market taking a dump today. Just tuned in to CNBC, not sure what specifically is driving this. -710 dow, nasdac about 200 down.

Jan 25, 2011
Market taking a dump today. Just tuned in to CNBC, not sure what specifically is driving this. -710 dow, nasdac about 200 down.
Concerns RE the resurgence of Conronavirus is what happened. That and we were on an 8 day winning streak. But you now have pissing matches between states about new restrictions impacting travel companies etc... lessening the hopes of a true recovery.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Concerns RE the resurgence of Conronavirus is what happened. That and we were on an 8 day winning streak. But you now have pissing matches between states about new restrictions impacting travel companies etc... lessening the hopes of a true recovery.

A true recovery was a pipe dream. We don't have the balls or brains to implement a true social security net to protect us. CA is getting ready to go under lock down again and TX, AZ and FL are looking to be the next NYC's if they don't do anything.

Reactions: Meghan54
Jan 25, 2011
A true recovery was a pipe dream. We don't have the balls or brains to implement a true social security net to protect us. CA is getting ready to go under lock down again and TX, AZ and FL are looking to be the next NYC's if they don't do anything.
Unfortunately they keep shifting how they want to measure how things are going. States are trying to hide hospital occupancy, Trump admin dumping funding for 13 testing locations, including a few in Texas for "alternate methods".

When the death count starts to spike again, then you might see something done. Maybe. It seems there's really no limit to how many they are willing to sacrifice. Right now the biggest increases are in young people so it will take longer to show up.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

What did you expect when there's no national leadership? Travel & leisure aren't coming back very far, anyway, until there's been widespread deployment of an effective vaccine & new infections have dropped sharply. We're way out from there.

Reactions: Muse

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I stopped looking at the stock market because wall street isn't main street. Most Americans don't have stocks. Look at the current economic climate. 27-30m Americans unemployed. It might be as high as 50m around fall. Yet, the stock market before this downturn was surging. IMO, it's fixed and only the wealthy are benefiting.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I stopped looking at the stock market because wall street isn't main street. Most Americans don't have stocks. Look at the current economic climate. 27-30m Americans unemployed. It might be as high as 50m around fall. Yet, the stock market before this downturn was surging. IMO, it's fixed and only the wealthy are benefiting.

Ding ding ding!
(I don't mean that in an insulting manner. You hit the nail on the head)