News Dow bouncing around -1000

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yeah as much as I am hating my job right now I have no concerns about it going away. I'm fortunate that while everyone is worrying if they will have a paycheck that I know as long as I can come in to work the job will be here.

Can't imagine single income service workers right now and what amount of confusion and panic they are going through.
Somewhat the same here. I have extreme job security, but I'll probably get coronavirus for it. sadface

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah, 75% of my week has been planning and orchestrating EMR changes to account for Covid responses. Pop up clinics, telemedicine, surge planning, ect. I'm good. My wife is direct patient care (but not as direct as nursing/techs) of Covid patients. And I'm fortunate I can do nearly all of my job from home.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Somewhat the same here. I have extreme job security, but I'll probably get coronavirus for it. sadface

I feel for those on the front lines. If this had been 25 years ago, I'd have been right there, too. But now I'm old and at prob. very high risk of dying from this crap if I catch it. Well, the upside is I've got Medicare and supplement ins., so my wife won't have any hospitalization bills to pay off...and since I'm a vet, I get a free burial and a free plot on a Fed. cemetery somewhere, so won't cost her much if anything to "dispose" of me.

Yes, I am concerned. And to compound my concern.....

I live in a small town in NE GA...Hartwell. Pop. is ~4500. About 25 mi. W of Anderson, SC, about 45 mi. or so NE of Athens, GA. You'd think even in this small town they'd have gotten the message for no groups...but NO....

They're having their monthly Third Tuesday...a monthly "concert" put on in the main square downtown. More like a poor C&W cover band. Anyway, I can hear it tonight, like every night it happens. Sound carries. And damn the female singer is flat as hell.

Didn't cancel it. Who cares if it spreads? The notion around here is ain't no cases here. And this is true...there are no reported cases. But, then again, no one knows of anyone who's been tested, either. So, the denial of the virus being here is meaningless.

Again, I am concerned.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I feel for those on the front lines. If this had been 25 years ago, I'd have been right there, too. But now I'm old and at prob. very high risk of dying from this crap if I catch it. Well, the upside is I've got Medicare and supplement ins., so my wife won't have any hospitalization bills to pay off...and since I'm a vet, I get a free burial and a free plot on a Fed. cemetery somewhere, so won't cost her much if anything to "dispose" of me.

Yes, I am concerned. And to compound my concern.....

I live in a small town in NE GA...Hartwell. Pop. is ~4500. About 25 mi. W of Anderson, SC, about 45 mi. or so NE of Athens, GA. You'd think even in this small town they'd have gotten the message for no groups...but NO....

They're having their monthly Third Tuesday...a monthly "concert" put on in the main square downtown. More like a poor C&W cover band. Anyway, I can hear it tonight, like every night it happens. Sound carries. And damn the female singer is flat as hell.

Didn't cancel it. Who cares if it spreads? The notion around here is ain't no cases here. And this is true...there are no reported cases. But, then again, no one knows of anyone who's been tested, either. So, the denial of the virus being here is meaningless.

Again, I am concerned.
Being 65, and having bad habits is actually a big wake up call. Scared shitless, actually.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Someone explain to me why gold has been dropping given the volatility with all other assets? Where are people parking their money??

Same reason why gold went "down" in 2008, everyone is rushing into cash. This causes the dollar's value to start shooting up versus other currencies because everyone needs dollars to pay dollar denominated debt and this competition for dollars bids up the price. The dollar is up about 8% in the last 2 weeks. Gold still takes the same buying power as $1600 in other currencies. Gold will probablygo down another 10-15% in the next few weeks before bottoming out.

But once the quarantine ends and money velocity goes up again the dollar will go down, inflation will be roaring, DXY will go down and gold will be making new all time highs, just like the gold bull market from 09'-12'.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Spent most summers as a kid at my grandparents in Anderson and have lots of relatives in the region. Not a region I would say has vast hospital capacity. Stay safe!

BTW in Riley County KS a county commissioner said the virus isn't a big deal because not that mean Chinese people live in central Kansas.

Another choice quote by the same dumb ass:

“Well, they say it came out of China,” he answered, “and I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China.” Meaning, to export a virus on purpose? “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly,” he answered, so “I put two and two together. I’ve been around a long time, girl.”

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
20k feels like an emotional floor more than anything. I still think we're going to get a major kick to gut once the real economic impact starts to show after the last few weeks of layoffs and closings.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Keep talking Trump, you killed the minor rally once again today.

Perhaps, but Pelosi and Schummer (properly) calling the GOP bailout plan a nonstarter could have had a lot to do with negative sentiments on Wall Street.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I have to say we're very lucky that 35% of our retirement money is in Amazon. While everything else is at half to two-thirds of its former value, Amazon is holding at 95%. Their sales are undoubtedly through the roof right now since this is the largest outlet allowing people to buy stuff without leaving their homes. I think when the economy stabilizes we'll see them get another big bump in stock value based on higher than normal sales.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
87f09365389e4478fda62093dc8a3322.jpg

My primary IRA. Yup, that big spike in value in early Feb is when I rolled over another account—and promptly reinvested—because you’re never supposed to leave a big pile of cash that won’t grow in your IRA...right??? *sigh*....

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Still doing ok. Dip is when I started moving money back into s&p funds (moved out last fall)

Attachments

• 401.JPG
    401.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 19

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
He really did! The Dow was up and half way through the press conference the Dow starts dropping.
Worked for him during one press conference. He isn't a quick learner so probably take another week for these to stop.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Just thought of a great investment strategy. Find out when Trump is about to do a press briefing, then short sell everything you can. His mouth is like a cancer to the markets.

Honestly thought about buying UVXY this morning when things were up. I didn't because Im still punking out.
I did sell out of a few up and down plays tho to get back to cash. I fucked up last Friday's bounce by not putting limit orders in, then got too busy at work then had to sit at ride it out all week.

Active case numbers are going to be moving up really fast now high speed testing is starting to kick in, plus with the normal spread of the virus.

I think next week is going to be freak out week. I'm going to wish I bought that UVXY down at $80 today...

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
this is funny...

Top 8 Largest Dow Jones Drops in American History.
1) Trump: -1,191 2/27/20
2) Trump: -1,175 2/5/18
3) Trump: -1,032 2/8/18
4) Trump: -1,031 2/24/20
5) Trump: -879 2/25/20
6) Trump: -831 10/10/18
7) Trump: -800 8/14/19
8) Trump: -799 12/4/18
WINNING.

Man, this list needs updating. High triple digits won't even get a showing...

Reactions: JSt0rm and cytg111

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I remember all those times the sycophants said Donald is wonderful because the stock market was strong. And that was literally the only they claimed which happened to be true at the time.
Now that its tanked and directly due to his actions I wonder if the sycophants will admit they were wrong to begin with, or admit he used to be good but now he sucks because the presidency is all about the stock market.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I remember all those times the sycophants said Donald is wonderful because the stock market was strong. And that was literally the only they claimed which happened to be true at the time.
Now that its tanked and directly due to his actions I wonder if the sycophants will admit they were wrong to begin with, or admit he used to be good but now he sucks because the presidency is all about the stock market.
No it's just Democrats rooting for the failure of the country so it hurts Trump. So Democrats' fault.