Doom Eternal

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
I think I am doing the same. I keep watching videos of Eternal, and something about it just feels a little too gimmicky for me. There are so many parts of the game that look like fast action to suddenly be slowed down to a molasses state by all the crawling up the walls and some of these cheesy cut scenes.
That, and always going back to base between levels kills the pacing entirely.

Plus, all the cool stuff the base has to offer is spread out to an annoying degree. If you want that one specific upgrade, you have to go down a hallway, up a staircase, across a room, through another hallway, down another staircase, around another corner, through another room, through another hallway, blah blah blah. Oh, and when you finally get there to get the +1 point to spend on your shit? You get to run all the way back to the top to start the next level.

Christ, just ... fuuuuck who thought this was a good idea?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Apparently, older AMD cards play Doom Eternal much better than older Nvidia cards. I guess that we shouldn't be too suprised by that, considering that ID's new engine is Vulkan based.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Apparently, older AMD cards play Doom Eternal much better than older Nvidia cards. I guess that we shouldn't be too suprised by that, considering that ID's new engine is Vulkan based.

Ran at 60fps almost all the time on my RX 480 8GB. 1440p. Everything set to ultra except:

Texture Pool Size - Ultra Nightmare
Shadow Quality - Medium
Texture Filtering Quality - High

Sure there were some slowdowns in the "busiest" areas but still proved quite capable. If It didn't I probably would've used the dynamic scaling mode and set it to 60.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm kinda bummed that ID didn't release a demo for this. The first shareware episode of Doom was most people's first foray into FPS games, and it would be super cool if ID did something similar for the next generation of gamers out there.

Hey... say that you're doing it for Coronavirus stress relief if you're having trouble getting corporate to approve, ID :)

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not sure how far into the game I am but I hope I can go back and replay some of the missions within the same save file. A couple of times i missed some stuff because i reached a scripted event and couldn't backtrack.

Still having fun with it though; the slayer gates are especially entertaining. The marauder fight was kinda fun too, even if a bit on the cheap.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Not sure how far into the game I am but I hope I can go back and replay some of the missions within the same save file. A couple of times i missed some stuff because i reached a scripted event and couldn't backtrack.

Still having fun with it though; the slayer gates are especially entertaining. The marauder fight was kinda fun too, even if a bit on the cheap.

Yes, you can go back and collect things you missed. The Marauder, that guy is a PITA! Just wait until the special encounter where you have to kill him in 30 seconds.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ugh, I think it took me a solid few minutes in order to down him on UV... my biggest issue was that damned hell hound or whatever using up my shots at the worst times. I could avoid his strikes easy enough and get back health and ammo from the fodder enemies if need be--but I'd say if there were anything tougher than the imp or skel soldier that fight would've been really rough lol

I thought I remembered someone in a video preview stating that maps could be re-visited but that you gotta get pretty far in before you can do so. I just landed on Mars.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Ugh, I think it took me a solid few minutes in order to down him on UV... my biggest issue was that damned hell hound or whatever using up my shots at the worst times. I could avoid his strikes easy enough and get back health and ammo from the fodder enemies if need be--but I'd say if there were anything tougher than the imp or skel soldier that fight would've been really rough lol

I thought I remembered someone in a video preview stating that maps could be re-visited but that you gotta get pretty far in before you can do so. I just landed on Mars.

You can revisit anytime you are in the Doom Fortress or whatever it's called. In the area where the portal is created, to the left is the ARC update thingy, and to the right is a computer where you can replay previous missions.

Reactions: EXCellR8

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I usually try to knock out the dog with the heavy cannon or chaingun, saving shotgun and plasma ammo for the marauder, but sometimes taking it out with the shotgun when it charges you is easier. For the marauder himself, quick swapping between super shotgun and ballista avoids the reload time and lets you easily get two powerful hits in. Sometimes he recovers and brings his shield up just as your second shot comes up if you don't quick swap. Grenades, shotgun sticky grenades, and remote detonation rockets can hit him when he's behind his shield. Sometimes I feel that baiting him into attacking is easy and I get a good chain going and he goes down quick. Other times it feels like he just keeps dashing around and won't ever initiate the melee attack.

You can revisit old missions from the main menu or from a console in the portal room in the Fortress of Doom.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This is the game of the Century!! It is NOT going on sale for maybe 10 years out from today....so sorry...hahahahhhaa

Reactions: Magic Carpet

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
wtf I ended the game last night when I landed on the surface of Mars; when I continued today I was at some very-not-Mars city and fought the Gladiator.

I'll probably be going back and re-playing a few levels so I guess I'll have to replay the Mars mission too--but I'm not sure what happened.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
This is the game of the Century!! It is NOT going on sale for maybe 10 years out from today....so sorry...hahahahhhaa

I disagree. Doom 2016 is clearly better. They messed up too much with this one with excessive platforming, mid air double dash refills, and making it way more difficult overall. The last of which I don't mind. It's still a good time. There's plenty of exploration which is nice. The bosses didn't interest me as much though, particularly the last one. I won't spoil it, but it's kind of stupid what you end up having to do.

If Doom 2016 was an A than Eternal would be a C. That rating is subject to change though as I experience more of it.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I should go back and replay some of 2016 to compare, but I think the generally cleaner and simpler platforming won't outweigh the steps back in combat. Not having to manage so many resources will be nice in some regards but I also feel like it will be too easy. I recall that by the time I finished 2016 on nightmare I never really worried about any of the fights. Super shotgun and gauss cannon could solve any problem. A lot of the enemies weren't really dangerous at that point. The mancubus wasn't dangerous at all in 2016 but can mess you up fast in Eternal if you aren't careful.

I feel that the platforming in Eternal has higher highs and lower lows than 2016. When it's good it's great and it flows well, but then some of the wall-climb or falling platform traversal sections do a horrible job of telling you where to go next on the fly. The dash refills kinda suck but only because they serve no other purpose. They're only in a handful of platforming sections and could have been replaced with another platform.

The core of the gameplay is still the combat, and it is definitely improved. It doesn't let you cheese it in the way you could in 2016.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I should go back and replay some of 2016 to compare, but I think the generally cleaner and simpler platforming won't outweigh the steps back in combat. Not having to manage so many resources will be nice in some regards but I also feel like it will be too easy. I recall that by the time I finished 2016 on nightmare I never really worried about any of the fights. Super shotgun and gauss cannon could solve any problem. A lot of the enemies weren't really dangerous at that point. The mancubus wasn't dangerous at all in 2016 but can mess you up fast in Eternal if you aren't careful.

I feel that the platforming in Eternal has higher highs and lower lows than 2016. When it's good it's great and it flows well, but then some of the wall-climb or falling platform traversal sections do a horrible job of telling you where to go next on the fly. The dash refills kinda suck but only because they serve no other purpose. They're only in a handful of platforming sections and could have been replaced with another platform.

The core of the gameplay is still the combat, and it is definitely improved. It doesn't let you cheese it in the way you could in 2016.

I think the problem with 2016 is some of the weapons were just OP when upgraded. Nightmare mode was more difficult in the beginning of the game because you had no perks, if you will. As time went by the game got easier. The gauss cannon was way too powerful once full upgraded. 2016 also had rune upgrades which could make it too easy, like infinite ammo when armor was 75+.

However with Eternal, I totally forgot to mention having to use the chainsaw all the time was tedious. In 2016, it was rarely necessary, just convenient to use it. They both have pros and cons. The slayer gates were a nice touch. Another thing I liked about 2016 is you could use the upgraded Rune to sometimes drop BFG ammo, where in Eternal it's on the map and that's it, and in small amounts typically at that.

If you want to compare OP weapons, in Eternal the Super Shotgun is still a beast and the plasma gun is effective against just about anything.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
I disagree. Doom 2016 is clearly better. They messed up too much with this one with excessive platforming, mid air double dash refills, and making it way more difficult overall. The last of which I don't mind. It's still a good time. There's plenty of exploration which is nice. The bosses didn't interest me as much though, particularly the last one. I won't spoil it, but it's kind of stupid what you end up having to do.

If Doom 2016 was an A than Eternal would be a C. That rating is subject to change though as I experience more of it.

...Is it the Icon of Sin again? :rolleyes: I'm not going to bother playing it any further.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
...Is it the Icon of Sin again? :rolleyes: I'm not going to bother playing it any further.

It does share the name, however, it's probably not what you'd expect.

It's not just a wall that spits out demons at you. It's a giant ass demon that attacks you in multiple ways. All the while, regular enemies spawn in to hurt you and farm resources. Certain helpful pickups respawn as well which helps a lot when a tough demon is spawned in. Thankfully, no Marauders or Arch Viles spawn in the battle.

The stupid part, IMHO, is that when you have nearly beaten it and just need to jump through a portal to finish it off, it ends up being the exact same battle again! I think the Icon might have a few more attacks the second time around but I'm not really sure.

I much prefer the Spider Mastermind approach from 2016. That one was a bit too easy though as it literally threw you full health twice. So if you had 200hp available, you were in great shape. One time I fought it and there was a glitch where it did not give you health, and it was super difficult. I ended up dying. I'd love to try that again though as I'm sure I could beat her without the freebie health, I'd just have to rethink strategy.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I prefer the spider mastermind, too. It felt like a good boss fight. The Icon of Sin was a huge letdown for me.

The second paragraph in your spoiler would have been enough for me to close the game and go play something else. I hate that kind of mechanic.

So you did get to the end of the game? Yea, that whole 2nd phase thing was a real downturn.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I also like how they made the Spider Mastermind an actual challenge in Doom 2016. In the original Doom you could get up close and BFG it in 1-2 times and it was done. I know they original had planned a "magic attack" that might have made it more challenging. If you don't have full upgrades the 2016 one can wreck you. A lot of it comes down to how often it uses its special attacks though.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Cacodemons made America Free from ugly demons. Also the moddable Dooms were the best. 1586070944657.png