Do you think the Big 3 Automakers are going to fold?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
This same thing happened in the 1970's and it was bound to happen again when execs at those companies stopped listening to what people wanted in vehicles. The proof of this was GM and Ford pushing their SUV's for the last few years instead of fuel efficient cars (of which they had very few). Gas hit $3, of COURSE your sales are going to drop through the floor.

Then you do things like pay a guy $47000/year to push a broom around a plant with a 30 minute lunch and two 20 minute breaks (that was my neighbor- had a union assigned broom and could only sweep 4 designated parts of the plant).

Hard to feel sorry for the hole they dug for themselves.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
This same thing happened in the 1970's and it was bound to happen again when execs at those companies stopped listening to what people wanted in vehicles. The proof of this was GM and Ford pushing their SUV's for the last few years instead of fuel efficient cars (of which they had very few). Gas hit $3, of COURSE your sales are going to drop through the floor.

Then you do things like pay a guy $47000/year to push a broom around a plant with a 30 minute lunch and two 20 minute breaks (that was my neighbor- had a union assigned broom and could only sweep 4 designated parts of the plant).

Hard to feel sorry for the hole they dug for themselves.

People like large vehicles, hell look at the Armarda it's the size of an armarda literally.
how about the Titan line of trucks?? looks like the japs wanted some of the lucrative
biggie truck market as well. Problem for domestics is the mid and small sized cars
that become popular whenever gas hits $3 don't have the reputation honda/toyota
now enjoys..

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The proof of this was GM and Ford pushing their SUV's for the last few years instead of fuel efficient cars (of which they had very few). Gas hit $3, of COURSE your sales are going to drop through the floor.
SUV sales have nearly returned to their pre-$3.00/gal levels and continue to climb. Trucks and SUVs are the only reason GM and Ford are still in business, its their major profit maker.
30 minute lunch? That must be the 89-day wonders (temps). Everyone I know who works in the factories (Flint, MI) brags about taking off to the bar for two or three hours while a buddy covers them, they rotate who is covering the others, since the union literally has forced the Big Three to put two ~ three workers on every job that could be done by one worker (with one arm and leg tied behind his back).

Sounds like you are talking about the laughable UAW Jobs Bank (funded by auto makers and I think the tax payers even kick in some), where displaced workers are supposed be available for work on a per diem basis, get paid their full weekly income but might only work 10 or 15 hours per week (show up for work, do nothing for two hours except take out a garbage bag or sweep a 10x10 ft area, then go home and get credit for a full days work).

Wasn't it the union who made "Full day's pay for a full day's work" into their mantra? HAHAHAH! What a joke.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: Ktulu

value - buzz ( resale value is still in the sh!tter)

So buy used. Duh :roll:

5 year 100,000 mile warranty, sounds like a win.

So how is that not thrown into the value equation? :confusion;

Because my original post was obviously concerning new vehicles, but if you want to go for used then that really doesn't matter now does it?

I believe you're mistaken....unless you're denying that a 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty adds value.

I'd say it does

Do you realize that I'm talking about resale value. I'm not talking about my personal value towards them. I love GM vehicles, if it were up to me they'd have a hell of a lot better resale value, but unfortunately right now they don't. I personally believe that with the cutting of incentives, fleet sales, increase in quality and warranty, resale value will most definitely go up for GM vehicles.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
I drive an 05 Malibu ltz, it's a good daily driver and gets 23cityMPG with a 200HP V6.
domestics have been improving but they have make good products for a long time
before the public forgets the Tempo, celebrity, craptacular cars of past. Remember
Hundia's Accell? classic $hitbox.
took them 10 yrs. to recover from that one, now
they are a respected manufacturer. Big 3 are in this stage now...

Not as bad as the Pony or Stellar!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
The proof of this was GM and Ford pushing their SUV's for the last few years instead of fuel efficient cars (of which they had very few). Gas hit $3, of COURSE your sales are going to drop through the floor.
SUV sales have nearly returned to their pre-$3.00/gal levels and continue to climb. Trucks and SUVs are the only reason GM and Ford are still in business, its their major profit maker.
30 minute lunch? That must be the 89-day wonders (temps). Everyone I know who works in the factories (Flint, MI) brags about taking off to the bar for two or three hours while a buddy covers them, they rotate who is covering the others, since the union literally has forced the Big Three to put two ~ three workers on every job that could be done by one worker (with one arm and leg tied behind his back).

Sounds like you are talking about the laughable UAW Jobs Bank (funded by auto makers and I think the tax payers even kick in some), where displaced workers are supposed be available for work on a per diem basis, get paid their full weekly income but might only work 10 or 15 hours per week (show up for work, do nothing for two hours except take out a garbage bag or sweep a 10x10 ft area, then go home and get credit for a full days work).

Wasn't it the union who made "Full day's pay for a full day's work" into their mantra? HAHAHAH! What a joke.

"SUV" covers a wide range these days, are you talking about the huge ass ones or just the sensible ones?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
I drive an 05 Malibu ltz, it's a good daily driver and gets 23cityMPG with a 200HP V6.
before the public forgets the Tempo, celebrity, craptacular cars of past. Remember

Never heard of those models, who made them??

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

Never heard of those models, who made them??

Hyundai. Crap perfected!!! :D

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Crap-perfected was the Yugo, a friend of mine got one, 3 months later it keeps popping
out of 5th gear, the dealer told her to " hold it place while driving" as he had no parts
to repair it..

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Crap-perfected was the Yugo, a friend of mine got one, 3 months later it keeps popping
out of 5th gear, the dealer told her to " hold it place while driving" as he had no parts
to repair it..

hehehe, I stand corrected! :D