Do you "pull-up" at the drive-thru window when asked?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throwmeabone

Jan 9, 2006
I just just had to "pull up" today at Wendy's when I ordered the fish sandwich. They made me wait 10 minutes and the sandwich sucked too.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: potato28
I can't get fast food from my car. The driver's side window doesn't roll down.

You'd do just fine at the one of the local Arby's here... they put the drive through on the wrong side of the building, so you either have to back through or they have a long handled basket they use to get your food through the passenger window over to the driver.

There's also a Checkers (Rally's) here, where the 2nd drive through places the passenger next to the window.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
I wouldn't do what he did. Clearly a guy that never worked fast food in his life (Which EVERYONE should be required to do once). If I'm waiting, more than likely I'm getting tastier food than normal.

Another reason to "Bump" cars is to fake your drive through timer. When we were in competition, we would bump every car that was going to wait more than 5 seconds. We would have a runner take food out to those cars waiting. Another tactic you'll see is at double windows where one takes the money. That window will hold cars as the actual timer is usually at the food window.

Ummm, explain to me exactly WHY I should have been required to work in a fast food place? I had the desire and ability to gain a higher paying, more respectable job when I was 17 so I am curious as to why you claim everyone should be "required" to work in fast food once?

Everyone should be required to do this so they don't become intollerant assholes like the radio guy. If you are a cool guy and don't get bothered when someone says "It's going to be a few minutes" then fine, you are exempt. If you are an asshat that can't wait 4 or 5 minutes for nice hot fries then you should be required to work in fast food at least once.

EDIT: Also some of actually had to go out and obtain a job earlier in life than 17. I started working at 14. Its not like I went and instantly became network administrator for a fortune 500 company.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
get into an argument like that? high blood pressure for no good reason... oh wait, he's eating McDs anyway...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I never had to work fast food, but at the same time if I have to wait an extra 2 mins I am not going to go insane over it. They get backed up and no one wants a food item that has been sitting. For all we know someone could have demanded they make them fresh fries without salt and screwed the whole system up.

I don't agree with serving the drive through first even if it's an order after mine.

If I was that manager I'd have just made a big mac without meat and put it in the bag and sent him on his merry way. I'd have one nice and cold waiting for him when he got back.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Typical of old Bob Dumass. He is an idiot.

I pull forward gladly.....that means that something you ordered is being made right then and isn't quite ready. Isn't that better than getting something immediately that was made no-telling how long ago?

I don't think that it was so much a matter of him getting his food fast... just his twisted way of saying "Fuck you" to their efficiency timers.

Its not like they wont just serve the order off the screen anyway. You have to, there is no way in hell especially when busy to have a sub 90 second order every time. From the time you hit the first button on the order the timer starts and then when the customer isdoing the uh,...hmmm well what do i want kinda thing the timer is still running. Many times the 90 seconds is completely gone before they get done with their order.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
You are asked to pull forward almost every time at culver's. That's because they actually make your food while you wait, and some items take less time than others. Custards, for example, take less time to prepare. When I first saw the OP, I thought that they were making something fresh and wondering why anyone would complain about getting fresher food. I was not aware of the timers they use. Kind of strange... I've never been asked to pull forward at any place except culver's, which does it almost 100% of the time.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
I wouldn't do what he did. Clearly a guy that never worked fast food in his life (Which EVERYONE should be required to do once). If I'm waiting, more than likely I'm getting tastier food than normal.

Another reason to "Bump" cars is to fake your drive through timer. When we were in competition, we would bump every car that was going to wait more than 5 seconds. We would have a runner take food out to those cars waiting. Another tactic you'll see is at double windows where one takes the money. That window will hold cars as the actual timer is usually at the food window.

Ummm, explain to me exactly WHY I should have been required to work in a fast food place? I had the desire and ability to gain a higher paying, more respectable job when I was 17 so I am curious as to why you claim everyone should be "required" to work in fast food once?

because it'd make you less of a d-bag :)

maybe not necessarily fast food, but I think working in customer service is a real learning experience for anyone.

once you've been on the receiving end of being yelled at by douche-y, impatient customers for an entire 8 hour shift, you're a lot more likely to treat the person on the other end of the phone like an actual human.

when I worked customer service, there were a ton of things that I had discretion over that could impact the customer's experience (unadvertised deals/promo's, free upgrades, approving a refund request, giving out freebies, etc). the more of an ass the person was, the less likely I was to actually try and help them.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Holy crap, you're going to bitch about moving up a space or two so they can finish cooking your stupid fries? What a baby.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
That guy is an idiot. I would have just given him his money back and told him to F off