Do you "pull-up" at the drive-thru window when asked?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
While sitting in a long line at Zaxby's today for lunch, I noticed two cars that had "pulled-up" a few car lengths past the drive-thru window to receive their "fast" food.

It reminded me of a rant from Bob Dumas of Bob and the Showgram here in Raleigh, NC a few years ago. He told a story about how he went to McDs to get a Big Mac value meal or something of the sort. It was straight off the menu... he didn't order anything special or give special instructions. Just the meal.

He got up to the second window after paying and they told him to "pull-up" and they would bring his food out. He told them:

"No, I've paid for fast food, and I'm going to wait here until you give me my food."
They replied with "You are holding up the line."
To which he replied "No, YOU are holding up the line. I didn't order anything special. Just a damn Big Mac."

The person argued with Bob back and forth and the manager eventually came to the windows (people in cars behind are getting pissed and blowing their horns). Apparently on that particular day, some McDs big wigs were there and they just so happened to be looking at the efficiency of the drive-thru -- hence the visit from the manager.

So the McDs people had to bring the food out to the people that had paid and were waiting in line while Bob was "making his stand."

Long story short, after about 4 minutes of waiting in line (and a line full of angry people), the server basically threw the bag of food at Bob and he drove off.

So my question is, do any of you have gall to do something like that?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Having worked fast food (McD) in high school. I'll have you know the reason you are asked to pull around is because they are holding on something. Could be fries could be meat et al. Dont be an asshole making everyone else wait because you feel like proving some intangible point.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
No, I wouldn't do that, *but*, I had that happen to me at a Jack in the box, and I haven't gone to JITB since, which was a couple years ago now.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Nope. Whats the point of a drive through. I did it a couple times when i use to eat fast food and once they never came out. I had to park and go inside. After that I just say "I'm ok, I'll wait here." Seems to get me my faster when i did that.

If wendys, burgerking, etc... can;t make the food for the customers then the drive through should be closed or the store should. i don;t care if you forgot to make enough fries, sound slike a business problem, not mine.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Having worked fast food (McD) in high school. I'll have you know the reason you are asked to pull around is because they are holding on something. Could be fries could be meat et al. Dont be an asshole making everyone else wait because you feel like proving some intangible point.

not to mention word does get back to those makeing the damn sandwich...

there is no reason to act like an asshole to them.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
It's fast food, what do you expect. If you pay $6 for a meal, you should expect $6 worth of food and service.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I'm asked to pull up, I will. The people who don't (like Bob in the OP) are only trying to bully fast-food cashiers because they know nobody can do anything about it. Must be how they feel more important about themselves. Pushing around minimum wage employees and making the people behind him wait longer for no good reason... yeah, you da man, Bob! That's going to magically make your food appear faster!

I think a better response by the McD's would have been to refund his money and tell him since he's no longer a customer, he's trespassing and since the video cameras are rolling, he needs to leave at once.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
That seems like an utterly ridiculous thing to raise a fuss over. Does it really matter if you get your damn food through a window, or via an employee who walks it out the door 10 feet further down the drive? Is there some SPECIFIC quality about that particular piece of pavement that sits at that 2nd window, that requires food to be passed over it and nowhere else?

I think that Bob guy had some other issues at play in his head.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
I have more important things to get upset about in life, I just pull up and wait happily for my meal.

Dec 27, 2001
Sure I'll pull up.

First of all, those guys work damn hard and are treated in a demeaning manner by their supervisors and are paid minimally, so they don't need some asshole in his car taking advantage of some kind of delay to act like a big shot.

Second, stuff happens. Maybe somebody got the Big Macs off track by a few minute cause they forgot to start some process...........we've all made mistakes at work and appreciate the times people understand it and accept it and move on with their lives.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
While sitting in a long line at Zaxby's today for lunch, I noticed two cars that had "pulled-up" a few car lengths past the drive-thru window to receive their "fast" food.

It reminded me of a rant from Bob Dumas of Bob and the Showgram here in Raleigh, NC a few years ago. He told a story about how he went to McDs to get a Big Mac value meal or something of the sort. It was straight off the menu... he didn't order anything special or give special instructions. Just the meal.

He got up to the second window after paying and they told him to "pull-up" and they would bring his food out. He told them:

"No, I've paid for fast food, and I'm going to wait here until you give me my food."
They replied with "You are holding up the line."
To which he replied "No, YOU are holding up the line. I didn't order anything special. Just a damn Big Mac."

The person argued with Bob back and forth and the manager eventually came to the windows (people in cars behind are getting pissed and blowing their horns). Apparently on that particular day, some McDs big wigs were there and they just so happened to be looking at the efficiency of the drive-thru -- hence the visit from the manager.

So the McDs people had to bring the food out to the people that had paid and were waiting in line while Bob was "making his stand."

Long story short, after about 4 minutes of waiting in line (and a line full of angry people), the server basically threw the bag of food at Bob and he drove off.

So my question is, do any of you have gall to do something like that?

suddenly it's a term used for mental retardation?

Quit being such assholes, show your receipt when you leave a store and get out of the fucking line when they're making your food.

They tell you to move because it keeps the system they have in place working. Who am I? I'm the guy behind Bob leaning on the horn because he's ruining it for the rest of us because he's a selfish prick who society would be better off without.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer

agreed. i worked at carls jr for a while when i was 16, and they are very strict about their car times. we had to drop fries and meat as soon as we heard the "ding". if the car was still sitting there when the timer hit 90 seconds we got a "talking to". if it was a regular thing, people got written up. i always tell them "id rather wait and have it right than rush you for bad food. just make sure its right when it comes out". then again, i always make it a special order so it has to be made as close to "fresh" as those places get.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
WTF? I didn't know people actually bitched about pulling up. They asked you to pull forward because they're waiting on something, why the fuck would you argue with them? What the hell is that supposed to solve? Pull the fuck up or make your own goddamn food at home.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: clamum
WTF? I didn't know people actually bitched about pulling up.

Well, then you don't know Bob :laugh:
Encouraging Drivers To Terrorize Bicyclists

On September 22 and 23 of 2003, Dumas encouraged listeners to call in and relate stories about how they terrorized bicyclists. In the course of that show, he said that he kept empty bottles in his vehicle so that he could throw them at cyclists. [1] These statements caused protests from the local community [2], who successfully lobbied for an official resolution that the capital of the state was friendly to bicyclists[3] and convinced some local businesses to pull their advertising. Bob was suspended for two days and station management aired an apology.[4] Eventually a compromise was reached between the community and station management.[5]

Heterosexual Pride Rally

In 2004 the Showgram organized a heterosexual pride parade in Chapel Hill, NC. The event was meant to draw contrast to gay pride parades. In the lead up to this event the show sold items such as T-Shirts with a graphic that proclaimed "Flaming Heterosexual".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_the_Showgram

His regular rants:

http://www.bobandtheshowgram.com/soapbox_2007.html

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I have never had them actually remember to bring me my food when this happens. "Pull up" basically means, "Park your car, wait for 20 minutes, get pissed off, go inside and have explain it all, watch them start your order over from scratch, wait for order to be made, get food 30 minutes after order."

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
Par for the course for Bob.

I take it you're not one of "Bob's People" ;)

I've just listened to him for so long that nothing he says surprises me anymore.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
It's fast food, what do you expect. If you pay $6 for a meal, you should expect $6 worth of food and service.

LOL, QFT. It's not the Ritz.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Unless there is no one in line, it's actually faster and more accurate to go inside. It's inevitable that some prick ordered some outrageous amount of food and is holding up the line in the drive-through. Fast food drive through is the equivalent of the express lane at a grocery store. Don't be the jerk that holds everyone up.

I figure that if I'm about to fill my fat ass with more calories than the average human diet should allow for I can at least burn a couple by getting off of said fat ass.

After working fast food for a few years, I know the reason that they ask you to pull up isn't because they really care about the people behind you, it's because they are on a timer. If you ever see a counter next to a drive through, that's it... they usually report to the head honchos about the performance of their store and most stores have a certain time that they must meet (usually about 2 minutes from the second you pull up the speaker until the time you leave the window)... the reason they ask you to pull up is to look good. We would actually get in trouble for doing this because it's HORRIBLE customer service. Nothing makes a person not want to come back like implying that you want them to get out of your face because other people are more important or something.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've only been listening to Bob for a few months since I moved to NC and I agree with most of his rants (especially the "women don't belong on NFL sidelines" one, that was hilarious), but not that one. It's not a big deal to just pull up and wait for your food. I would never make a fuss to anyone BEFORE I received my food, that's just asking for trouble.