Do non-Catholics respect the pope?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
I was sitting over my girlfriend's last night, and I was reading about the pope's condition. I'm not a practicing Catholic, and I don't agree with the Pope's view on things such as birth control/Terry Shaivo/abortion/gay marriage, but I still have a great deal of respect for someone who has always promoted peace and sought to heal rifts with the Jews and eastern christianity. So, it makes me very sad to see him in this state. My girlfriend, on the other hand, said she doesn't give two sh!ts about him, since he hasn't exactly had an affect on her life, and since she isn't catholic it doesn't really matter to her. I got mad at her for saying that, but what is more common, my view or her view, among noncatholics?

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
He is still a human and I respect him for trying to do what he believes in.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
My ex-wife was a 7th Day Adventist. She thought the Pope was the anti-christ.

Atomicus

Banned
May 20, 2004
A tradition started during the rise of the Roman Empire. Since there is no more Roman Empire, how about ridding the RCC of the Papacy?

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Hey, didn't they say that the end was coming "For sure" in 1860 something? And then when that didn't happen, a year later?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Remarkalbe person. He worked very hard to address contemporary issues facing catholics, young and old, and society in general. I didn't agreed with everything, but he was tenacious, persistent, and very caring.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
There's no reason not to respect him.

On the same token, I'm hardly religious and don't care to hear about these constant updates (a la Schiavo) on the news. But I will keep my mouth shut as I'm sure there's quite a large percentage of people who will be directly affected by this inevitable event. To each their own...

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Kenazo

Hey, didn't they say that the end was coming "For sure" in 1860 something? And then when that didn't happen, a year later?

You'd have to ask her. She later converted to Mormon (or tried to, not sure of all the details) and now is just back to an old hag.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003

I thought this was the Jehovah's Witnesses...

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: chrisms

I thought this was the Jehovah's Witnesses...

They JW's did too. But before the 7DA church existed they were called millarites in honour of their leader. He calculated that the lord was coming again in 1843. Now, this is all 3rd hand, I've never done a paper on it, but you could read through this to get an idea.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I still have a great deal of respect for someone who has always promoted peace and sought to heal rifts with the Jews and eastern christianity.

Hmm, that could apply to Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham, or Jesse Jackson!

I hate organized religion in general, and the Catholic church in particular. Guess I lean more toward your GF's POV, but I wouldn't be that terse... or maybe I would. Depends on my mood at the time I guess.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
I would never respect someone b/c they are the pope... I would however, respect a pope who was a good person and did good things. But that goes for any human, so it isn't any different.

In general tho... I feel in order to get to the top of an organization as big and as powerful (and as corrupt?) as the catholic church you can't be a saint. You know most of those cardinals are just praying for him to die so they can vye for the pontiff position.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Remarkalbe person. He worked very hard to address contemporary issues facing catholics, young and old, and society in general. I didn't agreed with everything, but he was tenacious, persistent, and very caring.

:thumbsup:

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
he's a good guy most likely,

but not infallible when he speaks "ex cathedra" (lit. "from the chair" or with authority) on matters of faith and morals like catholics believe.
No human being is infallible and Christ is the head of the Church not the pope.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
If anyone is worthy of our respect, regardless of religeon, and based on his being a human being like the rest of us, and his worldly accomplishments in our time, I surely cannot think of anyone more deserving than him.

Yellow Dog

Banned
Apr 1, 2005
I can't respect a man that had anything to do with covering up for peodiphile priests, even if his only action was to take no action.