DNC files lawsuit against Russia, Wiki Leaks and Trump Campaign

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Probably mentioned but this is exactly what the Democrats did during the Watergate investigation too. FYI, The DNC collected $750,000 from the Nixon campaign. On the day he left office.

This truly is Stupid Watergate.
My understanding also, is that some of the crimes have statutes of limitation i.e. if they don't file now they can't file later. The DNC sued the Nixon administration like a couple of days after the burglars were caught. So many panties in an uproar.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Yeah, Watergate by Clown Car.
The monetary considerations are minor, but what the first lawsuit led to was discovery and revelation of wrongdoings and the power of discovery is very great indeed. With it the DNC may worm its way into finding criminal acts that lie outside of Mueller's authority to investigate.

Hypothetically, if there were an intermediary buffer between Russia and Trump, Mueller could not breach that unless there's some evidence to investigate. It might, however, be possible for outside entity to discover a tie and Mueller use that.

I am not saying that it will nor that it's even likely but the DNC lawsuit was one of the first motivators to investigate Watergate even though most laughed at the DNC for trying to pull some crazy stunt.

It wasn't so crazy after all.

So far, the Trump collusion stuff has blown up in the DNC's face. I hope they keep pushing this so we get to hear more about the DNC's role in colluding with Russia.

Reactions: hal2kilo

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Wonders if sticking fingers in ears and chanting LA LA LA worked back in Kindergarten, too... This isn't just going to go away. Let it play out...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So far, the Trump collusion stuff has blown up in the DNC's face. I hope they keep pushing this so we get to hear more about the DNC's role in colluding with Russia.

Despite what you may believe no matter how many times you repeat a lie it does not become truth.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yea, I can't wait for something that's never going to happen.

Feb 4, 2009
Some people are a joke. No matter how many times you deny the truth it doesn't go away.

I’m all for locking them up, I’m all for locking anyone who colluded with a hostile foreign government during an election up.
Unlike you this is a non negotiable for me.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I’m all for locking them up, I’m all for locking anyone who colluded with a hostile foreign government during an election up.
Unlike you this is a non negotiable for me.

I never said this was negotiable. Certain people on here seem to deny the connection between the DNC and Hillary with the Russians.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah, Watergate by Clown Car.
The monetary considerations are minor, but what the first lawsuit led to was discovery and revelation of wrongdoings and the power of discovery is very great indeed. With it the DNC may worm its way into finding criminal acts that lie outside of Mueller's authority to investigate.

Hypothetically, if there were an intermediary buffer between Russia and Trump, Mueller could not breach that unless there's some evidence to investigate. It might, however, be possible for outside entity to discover a tie and Mueller use that.

I am not saying that it will nor that it's even likely but the DNC lawsuit was one of the first motivators to investigate Watergate even though most laughed at the DNC for trying to pull some crazy stunt.

It wasn't so crazy after all.

Did the DNC sue the Washington Post during Watergate? I don't think many realize what this lawsuit, if it is somehow won, will do to the free press in this country. I'd have no problems with this lawsuit if they didn't include Wikileaks.

But that is why I think this is a fundraising ploy. The DNC has no real interest in winning this and destroying the free press in one fellow swoop. Or at least I hope they don't. They are looking for a way to generate more cash going forward. Especially when this is tossed out. Or at least parts of it(wikileaks).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Did the DNC sue the Washington Post during Watergate? I don't think many realize what this lawsuit, if it is somehow won, will do to the free press in this country. I'd have no problems with this lawsuit if they didn't include Wikileaks.

But that is why I think this is a fundraising ploy. The DNC has no real interest in winning this and destroying the free press in one fellow swoop. Or at least I hope they don't. They are looking for a way to generate more cash going forward. Especially when this is tossed out. Or at least parts of it(wikileaks).

If it were found that the WAPO materially conspired with Iran to turn the elections towards Hillary? Then the WAPO is subject to civil and likely criminal consequences and should be. The suit will have to pass that hurdle of demonstrating complict destructive intent.

I don't know if you are aware of this but the same accusations were leveled by many including the press. The DNC was 9 million in debt when they sued during watergate and were mocked for this being a fund raising event and they might as well go for the whole thing and not just a million. While I don't trust 'NC's further than I can toss them it appears on the face of it there is some merit. We'll have to see. This feels like Watergate all over again.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If it were found that the WAPO materially conspired with Iran to turn the elections towards Hillary? Then the WAPO is subject to civil and likely criminal consequences and should be. The suit will have to pass that hurdle of demonstrating complict destructive intent.

I don't know if you are aware of this but the same accusations were leveled by many including the press. The DNC was 9 million in debt when they sued during watergate and were mocked for this being a fund raising event and they might as well go for the whole thing and not just a million. While I don't trust 'NC's further than I can toss them it appears on the face of it there is some merit. We'll have to see. This feels like Watergate all over again.

My point is during Watergate the DNC sued Nixons campaign, not the Washington Post. If the DNC wins this suit as it is, they are opening up the free press to civil action for releasing confidential information. So many big stories where it relates to big business or govt are based on leaked confidential information.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
My point is during Watergate the DNC sued Nixons campaign, not the Washington Post. If the DNC wins this suit as it is, they are opening up the free press to civil action for releasing confidential information. So many big stories where it relates to big business or govt are based on leaked confidential information.

Would the Soviet Intelligence Service be considered the free press as they disseminate information as well?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Nah, this is a discovery ploy, not a fundraising ploy. I imagine we will see the Trump campaign and others talk a big game and furiously fight this only to immediately fold if/when it gets to discovery. They will panic. As for Wikileaks I agree that the claims here aren’t strong but the concern over them is WAY WAY overblown. I mean I’m as much in favor of shutting down Wikileaks as any sane person is but not for publishing these hacked emails. The reason to shut down Wikileaks is that it’s a conduit for hostile foreign intelligence services to launder information. So no need to worry about press freedom here, especially since it’s a civil suit. I mean if you wanted to find threats to press freedom from claims in civil suits I’m sure you could find plenty that are much worse. You can claim anything you want in a civil suit, after all.

We would all benefit from discovery going forward in this case though as I think we all know the rot within Trump’s campaign goes deeeeeeep.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are they named in the suit? This is a pretty absurd comparison for obvious reasons.

I mean it’s not THAT absurd. The available evidence indicates Wikileaks has been operating either directly with Russian intelligence or as useful stooges for it for a long time. I mean just look at their reaction to the Panama Papers vs. say, anything criticizing the West.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Are they named in the suit? This is a pretty absurd comparison for obvious reasons.

This was your quote; "If the DNC wins this suit as it is, they are opening up the free press to civil action for releasing confidential information. So many big stories where it relates to big business or govt are based on leaked confidential information." So, my question is what qualifies you to being "free press".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This was your quote; "If the DNC wins this suit as it is, they are opening up the free press to civil action for releasing confidential information. So many big stories where it relates to big business or govt are based on leaked confidential information." So, my question is what qualifies you to being "free press".

Anything not run by the state as your previously ridiculous post stated.