Django Unchained

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Fistfull of Dollars was better than Django IMO, It was a great story. That said, as much as I like Leone and Eastwood, It was better with it's original title "Yojimbo." People tend to credit Mifune as the "star" of many of Kurosawa's films, but, I think the real star was actually Takashi Shimura, he always got less glamorous of rolls, but pulled them off magnificently.

We can agree to disagree on that. I saw Fistfull of Dollars before I saw Yojimbo, and if anything Yojimbo felt like a cheap imitation of FoD! I can appreciate the movie, and all the movies that it inspired, but I'd rather watch FoD.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004

That last sentence is the most telling

"Not "idiots," but, I mean ... I did think, I think you're coming from your point of view and not Schultz's."

Everyone in this thread is looking at it from their own logical POV and not the character's POV in the movie.

BTW. Loved this movie. Along with 'Cloud Atlas' two of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Made up for some of the horrible movies I've seen lately like 'Skyfall'

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
so that guy who was interviewing tarentino ... he just sounds like he did not understand the story at all. he didn't even realize they were not there to actually buy the fighter but that it was a ploy to get the girl for cheap. that is a pretty big thing to glaze over.

And that's why he's writing for Huffington Post, instead of writing books or movie scripts.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Loved this movie. Along with 'Cloud Atlas' two of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Made up for some of the horrible movies I've seen lately like 'Skyfall'

I'm a little surprised at the lack of attention Cloud Atlas has gotten, even in just the critical sense. I didn't expect much commercially. It really is just a beautiful movie.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
I like the Django. It was about getting about things you love no matter the cost!

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I'm a little surprised at the lack of attention Cloud Atlas has gotten, even in just the critical sense. I didn't expect much commercially. It really is just a beautiful movie.

Agreed. Best movie I've seen in years and definitely added on to my list of favorite all time movies. I rarely rarely ever want to watch a movie again so soon after watching it a first time, but I can't wait to watch it again in a couple months or so

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Clout Atlas was the biggest turd i've paid to see.

Goes to show you how completely different one's taste can be from someone else's. I for one cannot see how you didn't watch this movie and go away changed simply for having seen it. Hendrix said it best and most simply "Just a beautiful movie"

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
awesome:

Promoting Oscar-nominated Django Unchained, which had its premiere in London last night, Quentin Tarantino refused to repeat his position on violence in movies during an interview with Channel 4 Evening News host Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Asked about the link between movie violence and real violence, Tarantino responds in the video below: “Don’t ask me a question like that – I’m not biting.” When asked why, he says, “Because I refuse your question. I’m not your slave and you’re not my master. You can’t make me dance to your tune. I’m not a monkey.” Saying he was doing the interview as “a commercial for the movie,” Tarantino elaborates, “I don’t want to talk about the implications of violence… The reason I don’t want to talk about it: cause I’ve said everything I have to say about it. If anyone cares what I have to say about it, they can Google me and they can look for 20 years what I have to say. But I haven’t changed my opinion one iota.” Guru-Murthy later presses, “But you haven’t said why you think there’s no relationship”, to which Tarantino exclaims, “It’s none of your damn business what I think about that!… And I’m shutting you down.” The exchange in question begins at about the 4:30 mark:

http://bcove.me/sfugj0ba

Mar 16, 2005
Goes to show you how completely different one's taste can be from someone else's. I for one cannot see how you didn't watch this movie and go away changed simply for having seen it. Hendrix said it best and most simply "Just a beautiful movie"

what did you take away from it besides the visuals?

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
what did you take away from it besides the visuals?

Wow, where to begin. The future part was so telling, clones turned into slaves. History repeating itself. The basic premise is that everything that happens, no matter when, affects things in the future. The very distant future worshipped Soni for standing up for what was right, as if she was a god. Same as we do now because of what Jesus did in his time. Basically she became the next religious icon of the human race. The very end where you find out that their message had worked and they made their way off of Earth. Craziness.

I could really go on and on about this movie.

Mar 16, 2005

30294516.jpg

Takinato

Feb 14, 2013
I personally think this is QT best film to date. Christoph Waltz did an amazing job, i loved his chaarcter!