Django Unchained

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Saw it yesterday.

It was entertaining, but not Tarantino's best. He's a great director, but I feel he's becoming a caricature of himself.

Characters were flat, story adaptation was OK but not enthralling.

I enjoyed Christoph Waltz, as I always do, but this was not a movie worthy of his talent.

I give it a B-.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Going to see it tonight with great hope, I've heard it is more of a return to form for Tarantino after Death Proof and Basterds.. I did NOT like Inglorious Basterds at all. Kill Bill is one of my favorite all time movies, and Pulp Fiction is way up there too.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I love caricatures being thrown out here lately. Is this the new buzzword here?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Going to see it tonight with great hope, I've heard it is more of a return to form for Tarantino after Death Proof and Basterds.. I did NOT like Inglorious Basterds at all. Kill Bill is one of my favorite all time movies, and Pulp Fiction is way up there too.

I haven't seen Kill Bill but Pulp Fiction is a great movie. Basterds was a bad movie, IMO mainly due to how poorly edited it was. A lot of scenes were too drawn out and several important plot points weren't properly developed. It just doesn't flow right.

I think Tarantino is a good filmmaker and I applaud his different approach. He's uncompromising and willing to make risks with his subjects, which is something you don't really see these days. I think because of that, he's sort of become a Hollywood darling. He's among a crowd restrained from taking risk or colouring outside the lines. He's become a bit overrated because of that. Risk taking does not always equal genius. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction both great, quotable movies with a lot of iconic scenes. They're the two go-to movies whenever anyone discusses or parodies Tarantino's work. The rest? They range from average to meh. Not especially bad but not particularly good either.

I consider him more a cult director than a mainstream one. He's like George Lucas in that regard. Not a prolific filmmaker and he doesn't stray from his specific genre or formula. Sharp contrast from say a Kubrik or Scorcese. I'd actually like to see how he would tackle a more traditional film outside the pulp/exploitation genre

Last edited:

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
I haven't seen Kill Bill but Pulp Fiction is a great movie. Basterds was a bad movie, IMO mainly due to how poorly edited it was. A lot of scenes were too drawn out and several important plot points weren't properly developed. It just doesn't flow right.

I think Tarantino is a good filmmaker and I applaud his different approach. He's uncompromising and willing to make risks with his subjects, which is something you don't really see these days. I think because of that, he's sort of become a Hollywood darling. He's among a crowd restrained from taking risk or colouring outside the lines. He's become a bit overrated because of that. Risk taking does not always equal genius. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction both great, quotable movies with a lot of iconic scenes. They're the two go-to movies whenever anyone discusses or parodies Tarantino's work. The rest? They range from average to meh. Not especially bad but not particularly good either.

I consider him more a cult director than a mainstream one. He's like George Lucas in that regard. Not a prolific filmmaker and he doesn't stray from his specific genre or formula. Sharp contrast from say a Kubrik or Scorcese. I'd actually like to see how he would tackle a more traditional film outside the pulp/exploitation genre

u need to ser kill bill vol 1 and 2 NOW. i love both of them.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I'm intrigued by this movie. I totally <3 Leo, for one. ;)

But there is a strong feeling of 'it's a trap!'

I didn't mind earlier Quentin Tarantino movies. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs. Even Jackie Brown was okay. However, I consider Kill Bill to pretty much be the height of garbage. This was when an already crazy guy started to go batshit. And everything he's made since then has been unwatchable for me. I thought Basterds might be a return to decent form, retard-spelling aside, but I couldn't get halfway through it.

So, with that said (and not looking to stir shit about his other films)...should I avoid Django Unchained? My hope is partly founded in the thought that Dicaprio would not get involved in a crap screenplay, no matter the director.

Again: not looking for debate. Just some commentary on this film versus 'early Tarantino' and 'late Tarantino.'

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I'm intrigued by this movie. I totally <3 Leo, for one. ;)

But there is a strong feeling of 'it's a trap!'

I didn't mind earlier Quentin Tarantino movies. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs. Even Jackie Brown was okay. However, I consider Kill Bill to pretty much be the height of garbage. This was when an already crazy guy started to go batshit. And everything he's made since then has been unwatchable for me. I thought Basterds might be a return to decent form, retard-spelling aside, but I couldn't get halfway through it.

So, with that said (and not looking to stir shit about his other films)...should I avoid Django Unchained? My hope is partly founded in the thought that Dicaprio would not get involved in a crap screenplay, no matter the director.

Again: not looking for debate. Just some commentary on this film versus 'early Tarantino' and 'late Tarantino.'

Your assessment and timeline of Mr. Tarantino is spot on. Early Tarantino is great stuff, late Mr. T... Not so much.

Django's a rental. In other words: "don't go Fandango with Django."

;)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Saw it this afternoon.

It was definitely Tarantino as usual. I always forget how far he goes with things...there's not much holding back.

Christopher Waltz was easily the best part of the movie, not surprisingly.

The movie itself was decent, but not really worth watching again, IMHO.

I actually preferred Inglorious Basterds by a fair bit, but i'll admit it may be in partially due to me falling in love with Mélanie Laurent in that one.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Saw it this afternoon.

It was definitely Tarantino as usual. I always forget how far he goes with things...there's not much holding back.

I actually preferred Inglorious Basterds by a fair bit, but i'll admit it may be in partially due to me falling in love with Mélanie Laurent in that one.

I agree about IB being better. Laurent was great... But Waltz was one of the best villains I've ever seen on film. He made that movie for me.

Jun 19, 2004
If you want to see the worst Tarantino film ever, then watch Four Rooms. although, I implore you not to. Dear God, that was a horrible fucking movie.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
ill be surprised if more than 5% of people on ATOT like this movie, or any movie that has come out in the past 5+ years.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
If you want to see the worst Tarantino film ever, then watch Four Rooms. although, I implore you not to. Dear God, that was a horrible fucking movie.

Actually,

Tarantino only directed the fourth room, and not the full movie.

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
I thought inglorious basterds was hilarious. There were some parts that could've been excluded but overall i loved it. I watched the preview for Django Unchained and decided not to watch it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Saw it this afternoon.

That scene with Waltz visiting the house at the beginning was one of the scariest, most well done of any movie I've ever seen. So much tension. The rest of the movie could have been 90 minutes of Tarantino walking his dog and it would be worth it just for that one part.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
That scene with Waltz visiting the house at the beginning was one of the scariest, most well done of any movie I've ever seen. So much tension. The rest of the movie could have been 90 minutes of Tarantino walking his dog and it would be worth it just for that one part.

Tru dat

"May I have a glass of milk?"

*shivers*

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Funny how Spike lee is pissed. I guess he thinks only black people can direct black people to use the N word.