Django Unchained

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I just knew, as everyone did, that he was going to shoot DiCaprio. I kept thinking just shake his and and walk out. You can always kill him later....but no...

What. Candie and Schultz are both big heads. Candie offering handshake was anything but a handshake. Schultz knew it too, that's why he struck first.

There was no way both would've shook hands literally and parted ways.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
What. Candie and Schultz are both big heads. Candie offering handshake was anything but a handshake. Schultz knew it too, that's why he struck first.

There was no way both would've shook hands literally and parted ways.

I didn't think Candie was going to shoot him. I think he wanted the satisfaction of getting the 12 grand and humiliating the Doc.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I didn't think Candie was going to shoot him. I think he wanted the satisfaction of getting the 12 grand and humiliating the Doc.

He already humiliated the crap out of him by calling on their bluff, scaring the bejsus out of them at gun point, and taking the money forcibly from his wallet.

Candie didn't like Schultz insulting & outsmarting him with 3 Musketeers' author being black. So he wanted a scuffle to pay him back by offering a 'hand shake'. Maybe not shoot him, but definitely some kind of physical confrontation.

Last edited:

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
I still wasn't clear about the whole Mandingo ruse.

Why didn't they just offer to buy Jamie Foxx' wife straight up?

They mention it at a few points. Sam Jackson's character explains it to DiCaprio.
He wouldn't invite them in or bother to hear from them if they just wanted to spend a small amount of money on a random slave. He doesn't have the time, care, or need for the money to deal with trivial matters.

The $12k offer gets his curiosity, and they planned on scamming him so they wouldn't have to pay all that money. That is why they were trying to buy her as a casual aside for $300 or so and they would come back later with the doctor to evaluate the other slave before forking over the $12k. Of course, they never intended on returning with the $12k.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
They mention it at a few points. Sam Jackson's character explains it to DiCaprio.
He wouldn't invite them in or bother to hear from them if they just wanted to spend a small amount of money on a random slave. He doesn't have the time, care, or need for the money to deal with trivial matters.

The $12k offer gets his curiosity, and they planned on scamming him so they wouldn't have to pay all that money. That is why they were trying to buy her as a casual aside for $300 or so and they would come back later with the doctor to evaluate the other slave before forking over the $12k. Of course, they never intended on returning with the $12k.

That doesn't explain Schultz conveniently carrying $12,000 in his wallet. Also if Schults straight up offered $1K-2K for the $300 slave who spoke the same German as he, then Candie would've certainly been entertained by it.

Also, who the hell carries that much any ways? In 1860, that's over half a million dollars in today's value. Who has that much in a wallet?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That doesn't explain Schultz conveniently carrying $12,000 in his wallet. Also if Schults straight up offered $1K-2K for the $300 slave who spoke the same German as he, then Candie would've certainly been entertained by it.

Also, who the hell carries that much any ways? In 1860, that's over half a million dollars in today's value. Who has that much in a wallet?

More like a quarter mil according to online inflation calculators.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001

IIRC he wasn't even interested in dealing until he heard the absurd price of $12k. He isn't a dealer and couldn't be bothered with selling slaves.

They were pulling in many thousands of dollars for each of their bounties. He didn't have exactly that amount either, there was much more than that. Not the most realistic scenario, but then again it is a Tarantino movie.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
IIRC he wasn't even interested in dealing until he heard the absurd price of $12k. He isn't a dealer and couldn't be bothered with selling slaves.

Which is why he should have just dealt with the lawyer. The lawyer was easily accessible, and had access to Candie Land.

That would have been the easy way. Of course if the characters made good decisions, there wouldn't have been the last half of the movie.

orenero

Apr 12, 2005

Because otherwise he would have paid them no mind..... They needed that as a gateway to get invited to the ranch.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Which is why he should have just dealt with the lawyer. The lawyer was easily accessible, and had access to Candie Land.

That would have been the easy way. Of course if the characters made good decisions, there wouldn't have been the last half of the movie.

My thoughts are similar.
The German's character was obviously far more intelligent than to try the idiotic plan of going into this insane man's large territory for the purposes of basically tricking him and ripping him off. With so much at stake, and with obviously plenty of money to deal with, getting a deal struck with the lawyer and being basically honest about it would easily have worked. It was also incredibly stupid when he suddenly shot Candie, even though it was the worst possible time to do so. He was smart enough to know that he could simply have shaken his hand, gotten out of there, and picked him off later without putting his friend and his wife in immediate mortal danger as well.

Even so, I enjoyed it, it was a good time, logical fallacies ignored. I can be bothered by stupid inconsistencies or sudden out-of-character choices if the overall experience still has value to me, and I didn't feel ripped off.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
My thoughts are similar.
The German's character was obviously far more intelligent than to try the idiotic plan of going into this insane man's large territory for the purposes of basically tricking him and ripping him off. With so much at stake, and with obviously plenty of money to deal with, getting a deal struck with the lawyer and being basically honest about it would easily have worked. It was also incredibly stupid when he suddenly shot Candie, even though it was the worst possible time to do so. He was smart enough to know that he could simply have shaken his hand, gotten out of there, and picked him off later without putting his friend and his wife in immediate mortal danger as well.

Even so, I enjoyed it, it was a good time, logical fallacies ignored. I can be bothered by stupid inconsistencies or sudden out-of-character choices if the overall experience still has value to me, and I didn't feel ripped off.

I have to admit, I would have killed Candie too. Talking too much shit. And Doc was basically a good guy. He couldnt let seeing the slave get torn to pieces go unanswered. Like Elvis told Clarence about Drexel in True Romance: "Can you live with it?" ... "With that son-of-a-bitch walkin' around breathin' the same air as you? And gettin' away with it every day. " ... "He don't got no right to live."

I dont think Doc would have minded getting bested in the scam, but Candie was a sadistic slaver making slaves fight to the death. I think I would have used the first bullet on Stevie, but everyone in that house needed to die. If Doc wasnt such a stand up guy, they could have just went in shooting from the beginning and they both could have made it.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004

Candie wouldn't have entertained them as guests or potential business clients over the purchase of a single slave, an extremely minor transaction for a man with thousands of slaves. He was the equivalent of a billionaire. Would you use your high powered contacts to reach out to Bill Gates to ask if you could purchase his feather duster?

They needed to get his attention and interest in order to parley in the first place.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Candie wouldn't have entertained them as guests or potential business clients over the purchase of a single slave, an extremely minor transaction for a man with thousands of slaves. He was the equivalent of a billionaire. Would you use your high powered contacts to reach out to Bill Gates to ask if you could purchase his feather duster?

They needed to get his attention and interest in order to parley in the first place.

Yeah, this. I had no problem with it.

KT

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
"Alright, you want to know why I invented the whole buying the mandingo fighter? Because I wanted to have scenes between my three big stars in the movie. Why the f*ck did I have the Doc shoot Candie? Because I wanted to set Django free to show 20 minute of blood and gore at the end of the movie. Still don't understand? Its a freaking movie. I make movies. You watch them. Now STFU and give me a piece of white cake" Quentin Tarantino.

Feb 6, 2007
The goal was to get the wife without spending thousands of dollars on her, and Candie wasn't going to entertain offers for significantly less; he had no reason to deal with them over a paltry sum for a slave that, while basically worthless in Candie's eyes, was also a hassle to replace.

I heard a scenario on sports radio the other day; it was in reference to coaches in positions they were happy with getting to drive up their price to suitors, but it's applicable. If I'm selling my house, there's a certain value that I would expect to get for it. But if I'm just living in my house, the value of it doesn't concern me. If you want to buy my house and I don't want to sell, I'll quote you an astronomical value for it, because while it might not be worth that much on the market, it's also going to take significantly more than market value to get me out of a comfortable situation.

Applying that logic to the Candie scenario, he doesn't care about a few hundred, or even a couple thousand dollars, for his property. He's comfortable where he is, and Django and Schultz have nothing to interest him. Nothing, unless they pique his curiosity with an outrageous sum of money (bearing in mind they don't actually have any intention of paying thousands of dollars for any slave).

Granted, this ignores the possibility of just paying an outrageous sum of money for Broomhilda from the get-go, which I think Django would have been fine with given that it's his wife, and Candie probably would have been fine with too given his problems with Broomhilda. Clearly, they weren't hurting for cash; not only did Schultz have $12,000 in his wallet, after the guy took the money, there was still a shitload left over. I guess they figured Candie's pride and lust for power wouldn't let him reunite a black family if he knew the truth about who they were, regardless of money changing hands. It certainly seemed unnecessarily risky.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Another thing to consider. They didn't know for sure if his wife was there or not, they needed to go "deep" into Candieland to find out.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I saw the original Django on netflix maybe a year or two ago, it was good, essentially, the first "rough" western, with blood and guts.
Django took westerns to the next level, from all clean and "G" rated style to more gritty "R" rated films.

I see Django Unchained as Tarantino pushing the envelope even further.

Sukiyaki Western Django was annoying at first, then bizarre, and then, finally awesome. With Tarantino essentially doing a bad Japanese accent doing a bad western accent. (Don't get me wrong, I love Miike's directing, perhaps even more than Tarantino's)

Django Unchained was just fvcking awesome. several scenes in that film had me at the edge of my seat, other scenes had me laughing very loud. It's the first film I've opted to go and buy a ticket to see since Moon (I buy a lot of blurays otherwise, and watch a lot of netflix, or rent a lot of redbox, but, I was not patient for this one.)

I love this movie.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I saw the original Django on netflix maybe a year or two ago, it was good, essentially, the first "rough" western, with blood and guts.
Django took westerns to the next level, from all clean and "G" rated style to more gritty "R" rated films.

There are quite a few Django movies played by different leads. The original one had that cool gimmick where he is dragging that coffin around. But dont short change Sergio Leone...Fistfull of Dollars preceded Django.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There are quite a few Django movies played by different leads. The original one had that cool gimmick where he is dragging that coffin around. But dont short change Sergio Leone...Fistfull of Dollars preceded Django.

Fistfull of Dollars was better than Django IMO, It was a great story. That said, as much as I like Leone and Eastwood, It was better with it's original title "Yojimbo." People tend to credit Mifune as the "star" of many of Kurosawa's films, but, I think the real star was actually Takashi Shimura, he always got less glamorous of rolls, but pulled them off magnificently.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001