Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rakewell, Dec 26, 2012.

1. cKGunslinger

cKGunslinger Lifer

I enjoyed it, but still didn't feel it was up there with his best. A bit better then Basterds for me, however.

Then again, sometimes I think I get in a mode where I have unrealistic expectations from people I like (authors, directors, etc) and reality can never match my expectations. This may be a case of that. Never felt the length.

2. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

I'll admit it, I laughed when I read this. :D

3. blamb425

blamb425 Senior member

Loved the KKK scene they threw in there. Solid flick, but I agree it was a bit long.

4. tcG

tcG Golden Member

KKK scene wasn't funny. Oh, I get it, they are goofy!

5. orenero

orenero Senior member

This was a crazy N-Bombed filled movie just like it was in those times. I enjoyed it especially the violence toward the end of the movie it just raised the bar. Samuel L. Jackson's character was crazy just like a "lifer' in prison that is content and subjugated to that lifestyle forever no matter what.

6. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Golden Member

It doesn't matter if Spike Lee is a hypocrite or an idiot. He's rich and he has every one speaking about him even though he hasn't made a film that anyone has really cared about since.. what? 2000, Love and Basketball or Kings of Comedy?

7. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Golden Member

This was confirmed. For that he should receive an Oscar. Christopher Waltz as well for his role in this film.

From Yahoo Movies (confirmed source):

The ruthless and powerful Candie, who has a disturbing thirst for bloodsport, is angered to the core when he realizes welcomed guests of his estate have plotted against him. As the scene plays out, Candie slams his hand on a dining room table. It was during one take of that scene when DiCaprio unintentionally slammed his hand into glass, creating a gash that later required medical care.
    But that didn't stop him from doing his job. As his hand bled quite visibly, DiCaprio kept going, even using the hand as a new dramatic prop. At one point he smears his bloodied hand over Broomhilda's face in an act of evil dominance. And Broomhilda (Washington) looks horrified as he does it. (Perhaps Washington wasn't acting!) And that was the take that director Quentin Tarantino kept in the film.
    "Leo had slammed his hand on the table countless times and he moved his hand further and he crushed a crystal cordial glass," "Django" producer Stacey Sher also recently told Variety. "Blood was dripping down his hand. He never broke character. He kept going. He was in such a zone. It was very intense. He required stitches."

8. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Golden Member

Also, someone may have already posted this, but I loved it!

Sam Jackson forcing the reporter to use the word. And he should have.

http://youtu.be/tYYBJ8XRdh4

9. They Live

They Live Senior member

25th Hour = Great film
    Inside Man = Unusually mainstream for Lee, but still good.
    When the Levees Broke = Great documentary

All IMO of course.

10. Atomic Playboy

I just saw the movie this weekend; loved it (as I love every QT film). I thought it was obvious that that part of the scene was unscripted; it didn't specifically add anything, so there was no reason to include it and it didn't feel like it had been written that way. But it ended up working marvelously well, and everyone did a great job not breaking character while it was going on.

Also, Cristoph Waltz is the man. In both this and Inglorious Basterds he has the most intense way of questioning people about the most basic things, you can feel this burning intensity that's almost terrifying and totally badass. He's like some quad-lingual German version of Daniel Day Lewis. He's probably not actually human.

11. momeNt

momeNt Diamond Member

Initially I was thinking it was an accident that they kept rolling, and then when he smeared it on her face I figured it was planned and hence fake. I guess he must be STD free to just go smearing his blood on people.

12. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Golden Member

It was pretty brilliant from the stand point that they kept filming and went with it. No re-shoot or anything.

13. Atomic Playboy

-EDIT- NM, dammit.

14. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I was wondering about that scene when I saw it. I figured that
    his hand being cut
    wasn't intentional as it didn't truly fit the scene... at least until what he did with it. :p

I forget where it was, but I saw this list of directors that were rather harsh on their actors, and ended up causing quite a bit of pain that made the scene better. Actually, I think it might have been on Cracked? Anyway, there was a scene in... I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the house was so hot that the actors were delirious and actually cut into the actress's hand instead of faking it... or something like that. Crazy. :eek:

15. DougK62

DougK62 Diamond Member

Are there any graphic rape scenes in this movie? I don't mind the violence, but even staged rape turns my stomach.

16. orenero

orenero Senior member

There are none, it is suggested but nothing is ever shown of this nature.

17. xanis

xanis Lifer

I saw it on Saturday night and I loved it. Samuel L. Jackson stole the show at the end... what a great character.

18. Cobalt

Cobalt Diamond Member

Saw it twice already (went with different groups of friends who hadn't seen it), enjoyed it very much each time.

19. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

I can't believe I allowed Tarantino to lull me into a false sense of security by making it look like it was going to end without things getting VERY nuts VERY fast.

Well done.

20. fustercluck

fustercluck Diamond Member

I wish there were more Tarantino's out there in the world. Instead, we get movies like fucking Hansel and Gretel, Battleship, and Texas Chainsaw 3D (number 1 movie in the country, by the way). Hollywood blows at making movies.

21. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Elite Member Administrator No Lifer
    Administrator

No rape, but there is a penis. Prepare yourself.

KT

22. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

dang, I missed the penis. All I saw was a nipple.

23. Zeze

Zeze Diamond Member

Just watched it.

Inglourious Basterds >>>>>>>>>>>> Pulp Fiction > Kill Bill 1 & 2 > Reservoir Dogs > other works.

Bit overhyped by ATOT. Nothing can compare to the intense opening scene of Christoph in IB. He truly played a fearsome role, switching between French and English.

Also don't forget the amazing undercover scene at the basement tavern. IB is a perfect work of beauty.

I enjoyed Django because I just love Quentin's work. But it wasn't anything special particularly. Quentin is known for awesome dialogue and banter (Pulp, Kill Bills, & IB). This movie lacked it. The plot was little bit too long and bit disjointed.

I give it a 7.5/10.

24. Zeze

Zeze Diamond Member

I still wasn't clear about the whole Mandingo ruse.

Why didn't they just offer to buy Jamie Foxx' wife straight up?

25. techs

techs Lifer

Yes, a bit too long and a little disjointed editing wise.

BUT the movie was what it set out to be and that's....pulp fiction!

The movie is so damn good at times and just average at other times that the average parts stick out.

On the whole its a great film with scenes that are true movie making. Five minutes of this movie are better than dozens of other movies combined.

As to the N word. There was no way you could make this movie with out it. And if you are going to use it, you have to use it consistently and that's what they did.

The performances by Waltz in IB and this film are truely amongst the best I have ever seen. Waltz does an amazing job in a role that he wasn't really physically cut out for.

I just knew, as everyone did, that he was going to shoot DiCaprio. I kept thinking just shake his and and walk out. You can always kill him later....but no...

When Django blew up the plantation it was a Clint Eastwood homage moment if ever I saw one.