Did you like ME1 or ME2 better?

Which did you like more: Mass Effect 1 or Mass Effect 2?

• Mass Effect 1

• Mass Effect 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Since it seems to be quite the debatable topic, and I seem to be the minority in my decision, I decided to post a poll: Which did you like more, Mass Effect 1 or Mass Effect 2? Please post reasons as to why, and try to be civil in here; I'm just looking for an honest discussion as to why people enjoyed one over the other.

I personally found ME2 better, because I feel like the quality of gameplay and story was a lot better than the first. The dialogues seemed more real to me. I found the sidequests to be more impactful rather than generic. Some loathe ME2 because of the simplicity of the equipment system in it; I found it to be a blessing - why did I need to find 50 billion pieces of the same equipment all the time for my party members? I found the loadout choices for your weapons and the task of finding the upgrades for them to be sufficient enough for my loot needs without needing to find multiple pieces of the same armor. I also felt a more emotional connected to my companions - I felt and understood the hatred of Jack; I was overwhelmed at those slight moments when Grunt realized he was almost powerless to his killing desires; I was saddened when I realized how much Liara has changed since we last met; Mordin actually cracked me up a few times and reminded me of someone in my science class in College; they were memorable, and besides having sex with Ashley I could have almost cared less about my first crew (besides Garrus, he's a bamf).

Although I found the resource "minigame" a chore, I felt like it was more of a "do it and get on with my other planets" mechanic rather than a "well now I have to load up this planet so I can go roam around it for 20 minutes to find resources" mechanic. I understand the need to find resources, but I feel like it can be better implemented still. The nodes in Final Fantasy 8 for drawing magic come to mind - maybe they're just along the way while you're walking along on planets.

I also found some of the environments more artistic in the first, but I think they looked better overall in the second.

So, there are my 2 cents, anyone else? :)

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
ME1 is far better. The meko sections may have been somewhat annoying but they gave a sense of exploration at least - they should have improved it rather than remove it.

The combat was never really the strongest part of the game and there is far, far too much of it in the sequel. I got so sick of it that I ended up putting it on the easiest setting simply so I could get it out of the way.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
I prefer ME2. Loved the first, but the second I liked more. A quality series, and I am looking forward to ME3.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Overall, I liked ME2 better. Which isn't to say there weren't parts of ME1 I liked much better, just that as a package it came together better.

That said, please give us back some of the RPG elements in ME3.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
ME1 was a superior game. ME2 was just a bunch of character missions strung together, weak enemies too, geth were much better.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I like ME1 more. It was more RPG ish then 2. 2 was an action game to me.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
ME1 was a superior game. ME2 was just a bunch of character missions strung together, weak enemies too, geth were much better.

But you have to admit ME1 had a lot of issues that were resolved in ME2:

- Terrible inventory system
- Crappy Mako missions
- A grand total of THREE possible layouts for every cavern and structure in the entire game not part of a main quest mission.
- Constant repeated NPC dialog (not a whole lot better in ME2 though)

ME1 did have a much richer skill tree. It also had a better story. I was often really impressed with the storytelling in ME1. ME2 felt like too much filler; like you said, too many character missions, and I wasn't really impressed with the whole Collector thing. Compared to the Reapers they're weak and boring. Still, they ended up with five main story missions each, it's just that ME2's side missions actually felt like complete quests and not just something tacked on at the end.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I thought both had good stories, interesting companions and decent gameplay.

I didn't mind the Mako and apparently it was much better on PCs than the 360.

Since the poll lacks a "both are good" option, I'll pick ME1, but I don't agree with the "ME2 is weak / consolized" people -- you should save that hate for DA2 :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
ME1 by a long shot, unless ME2 gets all kinds of awesome later on (I have not made it that far because I became bored by the game). They removed a lot of the stuff I loved from ME1; the sequel did not grab me anywhere close to how the original game did.

KT

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Loved both, but slight edge goes to ME2. Much better "dungeons" unlike the cookie cutter ones in ME1. I too hated the Mako questing, but it's as bad as scanning planets.

Lets hope part 3 does away with both...

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
See I freaking loved the Mako stuff; I spent hours just cruising planets and grabbing random crap; it felt like a sandbox car game, but with a car that can never crash and I found that extremely fun. The scanning bullshit in ME2 is a chore, one of the worst things about the game in my opinion.

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I guess if you enjoy the Mako then ME1 could be better, but if you find the two tasks equally tedious (as I did) then ME2 is a lot better because you spend a lot less time scanning planets.

Actually, once I finished my first playthrough of ME2, on every subsequent one I've cheated to give myself a bunch of every resource so I wouldn't have to do any scanning.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Actually, once I finished my first playthrough of ME2, on every subsequent one I've cheated to give myself a bunch of every resource so I wouldn't have to do any scanning.

I did not know this was possible. I'll have to look into this, because I would love to remove that entire aspect from ME2 if possible.

KT

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
mix of both.

ME1 had an inventory system (Although it sucked - why not fix it? Make it easy to manipulate many items, stop dropping 100x of the same god damned pistol), More Quests (although they could have gotten rid of extremely generic ones, but you always got a little more story), not as entirely human focused - humans felt like one of many races rather than the only one that mattered. Mako did suck because it was stupid to drive around looking for random shit (Although that little secret sequence with the story was awesome and i ran into it on accident on my own!); I actually drove around every map possible because I'm compulsive like that, but I FAAAAR preferred the satellite sensing method of ME2. If they could bring back the Mako so it wasn't stupid and a complete waste of time, I would be down for it.

Story wise both are similarly engaging to me...can't complain there (other than the human centric focus on ME2). Although I felt that ME2 was more directed along a path rather than ME1.

And textures in ME1 were better imo. ESPECIALLY the player textures - having super high res head with low res body textures is fuggging stupid, its soooo obvious.

Honestly, outside of reintroducing a clean and refined inventory system, I can't say more....

Actually....I'd prefer some ME universe books that aren't written for a 6th grader

edit:
another reason ME2 is better: Kaiden appeared for only like a moment. and thank FARKING god. I should have made a better decision back in the first game.

Last edited:

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
But you have to admit ME1 had a lot of issues that were resolved in ME2:

- Terrible inventory system
- Crappy Mako missions
- A grand total of THREE possible layouts for every cavern and structure in the entire game not part of a main quest mission.
- Constant repeated NPC dialog (not a whole lot better in ME2 though)

ME1 did have a much richer skill tree. It also had a better story. I was often really impressed with the storytelling in ME1. ME2 felt like too much filler; like you said, too many character missions, and I wasn't really impressed with the whole Collector thing. Compared to the Reapers they're weak and boring. Still, they ended up with five main story missions each, it's just that ME2's side missions actually felt like complete quests and not just something tacked on at the end.
well that collector thing feeds into the reaper thing ;)

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I did not know this was possible. I'll have to look into this, because I would love to remove that entire aspect from ME2 if possible.

KT

Look for "coalesced editor." There's a file called coalesced.ini that can be edited to give your character money, resources, and some other stuff. Then the only scanning you'll have to do is to do side missions, and all you have to do is zoom in on the planet and listen for EDI to say "anomaly detected."

well that collector thing feeds into the reaper thing ;)

I know, it's just that the first game seemed so much more epic. Fighting the reapers directly. As opposed to fighting their comparatively weak assistants.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Look for "coalesced editor." There's a file called coalesced.ini that can be edited to give your character money, resources, and some other stuff. Then the only scanning you'll have to do is to do side missions, and all you have to do is zoom in on the planet and listen for EDI to say "anomaly detected."

Sweet, thanks man. Going to grab this when I get home.

KT

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
ME2 seemed more polished and streamlined. Some people consider this "dumbing down." Personally I liked it, thought it was more fun and less tedious than the first could be at times. ME1 was still great, though, really enjoyed both games.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Hmmm...enjoyed both. Hard to judge

ME1 was a bit more "old school" and that's the gameplay I prefer. However it did drag a bit. Still excellent game.

However ME2 had some great moments with great companions. Gameplay was "dumbed down" but it was very fluid and the missions were entertaining. Plus it was more cinematic (and done well...unlike Dragon Age 2)

I'm quite happy if ME3 follows the same path as ME2.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Wait, is this even necessary? I seem to remember one of the achievements resulting in all future games starting out with a bucketload of resources.
Right. But he's apparently been posting lots of complaint stuff before getting past mission #2.