Democratic Primary Poll (Formerly Warren or Gabbard)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Warren or Gabbard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Just remember if Ds lose MI, IA, PA and WI again Trump gets a second term.

GOP trickle down economics and lack of investment in the country has failed many people.

There are voters to be won back, but not if Ds are trying to piss in their faces.

Pete being a Midwesterner would actually go a long way.
Courting racists ain't my path to victory. I'm comfortable trying to reach all of those people who didn't vote in those states rather than trying to convert cult members.

Based on the rally, Trump supporters haven't wavered and just want more more more... speaking of people who want piss in their faces.

But I'm not saying make them angry. I'm saying dismiss them. They're useless.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Courting racists ain't my path to victory. I'm comfortable trying to reach all of those people who didn't vote in those states rather than trying to convert cult members.

Based on the rally, Trump supporters haven't wavered and just want more more more... speaking of people who want piss in their faces.

But I'm not saying make them angry. I'm saying dismiss them. They're useless.

Fuck the racists, but we do need the middle voters that got taken in by the con.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Damn. The pols in this country are so corrupt it's unbelievable. She's been using Russian talking points non-stop, but this one takes the cake.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-with-russia-it-could-have-led-to-a-civil-war

“Now that Mueller has reported that his investigation revealed no such collusion, we all need to put aside our partisan interests and recognize that finding that the president of the United States did not conspire with Russia to interfere with our elections is a good thing for our country,” said Gabbard, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

She continued, “Because if the president had been indicted for conspiring with Russia to interfere with and affect the outcome of our elections, it would have precipitated a terrible crisis that could have led to civil war. So we should all be relieved that President Trump was not found to have colluded with the Russians.”
Look at the DINO.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Damn. The pols in this country are so corrupt it's unbelievable. She's been using Russian talking points non-stop, but this one takes the cake.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-with-russia-it-could-have-led-to-a-civil-war

“Now that Mueller has reported that his investigation revealed no such collusion, we all need to put aside our partisan interests and recognize that finding that the president of the United States did not conspire with Russia to interfere with our elections is a good thing for our country,” said Gabbard, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

She continued, “Because if the president had been indicted for conspiring with Russia to interfere with and affect the outcome of our elections, it would have precipitated a terrible crisis that could have led to civil war. So we should all be relieved that President Trump was not found to have colluded with the Russians.”

Oh sweet Tulsi, even if one could wrap their head around that being the case. That's not how you reach out and speak to people.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Fuck the racists, but we do need the middle voters that got taken in by the con.
If they don't feel courted by the D push for healthcare and education and tax reforms... what kind of special treatment do they demand, I wonder...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If they don't feel courted by the D push for healthcare and education and tax reforms... what kind of special treatment do they demand, I wonder...

It's not what you are selling. It's how you are selling it.
Democrats spend a lot of time and effort custom tailoring messages for specific groups. They've missed the largest one.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
This poll is getting tired. No Mayor Pete in it.

Something from him two months ago in the WaPo that's just getting noticed now:

“Donald Trump got elected because, in his twisted way, he pointed out the huge troubles in our economy and our democracy,” Buttigieg says. “At least he didn’t go around saying that America was already great, like Hillary did.” — @PeteButtigieg

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Something from him two months ago in the WaPo that's just getting noticed now:

“Donald Trump got elected because, in his twisted way, he pointed out the huge troubles in our economy and our democracy,” Buttigieg says. “At least he didn’t go around saying that America was already great, like Hillary did.” — @PeteButtigieg

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

He told the truth there. Democrats holding the white house (2016), and being in a position of incumbency and running on a record of defending the economy as if they own it, means you adopted the horrors wrought by trickle down. It's like that "everything is fine" meme... with the house burning down. Aside from hating on Trump, that was the big message delivered by the campaign. But Americans do not feel like everything is fine, no matter how rich Wall Street gets or how "recovered" our economy is. Sure, it's firing on all cylinders and we should cheer Obama for securing the economy as well as he did, but the message was delivered in a really bad way, as if to white wash the 40 years of pain we all have from Republican policy.

The tone of message was as if the job was done. "Give us credit for everything being great". But it's not great, our people are in pain. Instead of attacking Republican policy... Trump was personally hammered and the economic damage was ignored in favor of describing the recovery. But that's NOT what people wanted to hear, "good" is not what they feel. They are angry and Trump successfully harnessed their economic insecurities towards "others", via the border and trade wars. Anyone defending the current status of America is going to BOMB out and fail.

You cannot tell us how America is great. You have to SELL us on how you are GOING to make America great. How you will help us.
If you do not want to respect that... you aren't trying to win an election.

I endorse Pete Buttigieg's statement.

Reactions: Bitek

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's not what you are selling. It's how you are selling it.
Democrats spend a lot of time and effort custom tailoring messages for specific groups. They've missed the largest one.
Which group is that?
Old white guys?
Is this correct, @Jaskalas ?

Is it really that hard to admit you need the votes of the working class? That you should try to appeal to all of them, economically speaking? This is about outreach to draw people in. Not to compromise with racists. But you have GOT to stop treating every Trump voter as a Nazi, they aren't. They are middle America, they are workers who the Republicans screwed over - but he won their vote for two reasons. He spoke to them of their plight, and no one else did. Trump's isolationist fearmongering stood alone as the only appeal made to them.

2016 proved you cannot, you should not, ignore that large swath of the voting bloc. Do not automatically cede it to your enemy, not if you want to win elections and defeat Trumpism.

Identity politics is poison.
Especially if you leave someone out and they feel abandoned.

“We’re twisting ourselves into knots talking and over-talking about these issues. If you’re a working person — and it’s not just white men, I hear from all working people — we’re not talking to them,” he said. “In the meantime the president is talking about jobs, and bringing new jobs in. It’s [garbage] but that’s what people are hearing from him.”
“When people are thirsty and hungry, they’ll drink dirty water and eat bad food because it’s water and food,” he added. “They listen to him.”

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It's REALLY HARD to beat an incumbent. Even when that incumbent is Donald Trump.
The incumbent can scare people with the unknown.
"You may not like me, but it could be worse."
Bill Clinton beat old Bush because Ross Perot was the wild card in that race. If Trump is to be defeated come 2020, voters need a wild card.
Someone to take votes away from Donald Trump.
I don't see that happening.
Lets just hope democrats can hold on to the house and hopefully retake the senate.
THAT would do it and without defeating Donald Trump.

Reactions: MagnusTheBrewer

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
He told the truth there. Democrats holding the white house (2016), and being in a position of incumbency and running on a record of defending the economy as if they own it, means you adopted the horrors wrought by trickle down. It's like that "everything is fine" meme... with the house burning down. Aside from hating on Trump, that was the big message delivered by the campaign. But Americans do not feel like everything is fine, no matter how rich Wall Street gets or how "recovered" our economy is. Sure, it's firing on all cylinders and we should cheer Obama for securing the economy as well as he did, but the message was delivered in a really bad way, as if to white wash the 40 years of pain we all have from Republican policy.

The tone of message was as if the job was done. "Give us credit for everything being great". But it's not great, our people are in pain. Instead of attacking Republican policy... Trump was personally hammered and the economic damage was ignored in favor of describing the recovery. But that's NOT what people wanted to hear, "good" is not what they feel. They are angry and Trump successfully harnessed their economic insecurities towards "others", via the border and trade wars. Anyone defending the current status of America is going to BOMB out and fail.

You cannot tell us how America is great. You have to SELL us on how you are GOING to make America great. How you will help us.
If you do not want to respect that... you aren't trying to win an election.

I endorse Pete Buttigieg's statement.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, if he pisses off enough of the wrong people then it's over for him. There were a hell of a lot of Hillary supporters in 2016 and if he wants to re-litigate 2016 again then he better be ready for the kickback.

As far as the poll goes I'll stay out of it since I don't vote in any primary anyway. I prefer to let the two sides pick their poison and then I decide which one is less poisonous.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
It's REALLY HARD to beat an incumbent. Even when that incumbent is Donald Trump.
The incumbent can scare people with the unknown.
"You may not like me, but it could be worse."
Bill Clinton beat old Bush because Ross Perot was the wild card in that race. If Trump is to be defeated come 2020, voters need a wild card.
Someone to take votes away from Donald Trump.
I don't see that happening.
Lets just hope democrats can hold on to the house and hopefully retake the senate.
THAT would do it and without defeating Donald Trump.

If you don't beat him, you can kiss scotus goodbye for a 100 years. RBG needs replacing. You can bet every other GOP potus will be a step up from Trump so harder to beat.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Is it really that hard to admit you need the votes of the working class? That you should try to appeal to all of them, economically speaking? This is about outreach to draw people in. Not to compromise with racists. But you have GOT to stop treating every Trump voter as a Nazi, they aren't. They are middle America, they are workers who the Republicans screwed over - but he won their vote for two reasons. He spoke to them of their plight, and no one else did. Trump's isolationist fearmongering stood alone as the only appeal made to them.

2016 proved you cannot, you should not, ignore that large swath of the voting bloc. Do not automatically cede it to your enemy, not if you want to win elections and defeat Trumpism.

Identity politics is poison.
Especially if you leave someone out and they feel abandoned.

“We’re twisting ourselves into knots talking and over-talking about these issues. If you’re a working person — and it’s not just white men, I hear from all working people — we’re not talking to them,” he said. “In the meantime the president is talking about jobs, and bringing new jobs in. It’s [garbage] but that’s what people are hearing from him.”
“When people are thirsty and hungry, they’ll drink dirty water and eat bad food because it’s water and food,” he added. “They listen to him.”
No one else did? That's fucking laughable.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
That's pathetic of you to say that lol

Pathetic? Not really. With the way Democrats like to Tonya Harding the other candidate combined with the number of Hillary supporters (most of them women), it's just a good guess.

We can revisit this at the end of the primary if you wish. :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I just saw Pete on real time. Has the bar been set so low that he appealed to me because he sounded smart and thoughtful? Don't get me wrong, I thought he made some really good points but I can't help but feel biased simply because he didn't sound like a Cheeto.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'd love to see Pete as the VP pick for one reason, watching Pence squirm as he tries to deflect from LGBQT issues while sharing the stage with a gay man. Would "Mother" have to hold his hand?