Democratic Primary Poll (Formerly Warren or Gabbard)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Warren or Gabbard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
My understanding (which is limited) is that it didn't account for chronic pain suffering and appeared to be taking too broad a brush to something that is much more complex just to make a show of trying to address something in the zeitgeist.

Well the final text of the bill is not yet available, but she has said it doesn't apply to sufferers of chronic pain. The ongoing controversy is that chronic pain sufferers are saying that the line between acute and chronic pain is blurry. The criticism seems premature, however, given that the text of the final bill is not yet available.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gill...ic-pain-disability_n_5c92ef5de4b0d952b2232f5d

That thorny issue aside, it seems like a good idea to me. Limiting prescriptions to 7 pills in cases of acute pain seems likely to result in a reduction in over-dosing, and in recreational trafficking. It isn't going to be a panacea, but it looks like it could help.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Well the final text of the bill is not yet available, but she has said it doesn't apply to sufferers of chronic pain. The ongoing controversy is that chronic pain sufferers are saying that the line between acute and chronic pain is blurry. The criticism seems premature, however, given that the text of the final bill is not yet available.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gill...ic-pain-disability_n_5c92ef5de4b0d952b2232f5d

That thorny issue aside, it seems like a good idea to me. Limiting prescriptions to 7 pills in cases of acute pain seems likely to result in a reduction in over-dosing, and in recreational trafficking. It isn't going to be a panacea, but it looks like it could help.
But shouldn't this just be on doctors to prescribe appropriately? And shouldn't they face penalties when they do it badly?

In this instance, I feel like government involvement so broadly is a real briar patch to jump into as you launch your campaign.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
More buttery whataboutisms. MacAfee is a complete loon and was a fringe candidate in a fringe party. Yang is seems to be nothing like MacAfee. Yang is proposing some very interesting ideas about the role of government in people's lives.

fair enough. TBH, I was halfway to getting lit when I posted that and the Showtime MacAfee doc, wherein MacAfee's preference for shit-in-is-mouth is many-times confirmed, was still fresh on my mind. lol.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What is the difference between Hillary and Biden in your opinion? Is it just the sheer amount of manufactured baggage and/or their personalities? Because purely from a policy standpoint I'd have to give an edge to Clinton.
I saw the candidacy by chance and posted it in this thread to add to the choices we face, if in fact, they will be running. The candidate I will support will be first, the one that I personally see giving the message I think is best, and ultimately, the winning Democrat candidate. I will pay not the slightest attention to anybody’s opinion for or against from other Democrats or the opposition. I will base my judgment entirely on what each of the challengers for the Presidency says in their own words.

I am not the slightest bit interested in the bias of other people. Every political opinion is based in my opinion, on unconscious motivations and I have worked hard to understand and become aware of my own. I am satisfied with my own judgement. Right now I have none to share because it is too soon to hear what they will be saying.

PS: Like last time, if Clinton runs and wins, I will be voting for her, depending, of course, on my still being alive.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
If Clinton wins you'll vote for her? lol.. Ok!
If she's the Dem candidate, I think most of us would.

Doesn't seem like it is going to happen and I don't think she'd really win primaries this time around against the rest of the field, but if that happened somehow, she'd still have my vote.

Reactions: dank69

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
But shouldn't this just be on doctors to prescribe appropriately? And shouldn't they face penalties when they do it badly?

In this instance, I feel like government involvement so broadly is a real briar patch to jump into as you launch your campaign.

It being up to doctors is the present state of affairs. The status quo is evidently not good. So far as facing penalties, you are suggesting...government regulation. What other penalties are there? Are you talking about lawsuits?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
It being up to doctors is the present state of affairs. The status quo is evidently not good. So far as facing penalties, you are suggesting...government regulation. What other penalties are there? Are you talking about lawsuits?
I'm not sure why the splitting of hairs here, but I think government regulation is needed, but I think it needs to focus more on the drug manufacturers that pushed opioids to the masses more than I want to see it come down on the public. Certainly there have to be means to incentivize doctors such that they don't encourage their patients to become addicts. I don't think an arbitrary 7-day cap makes the most sense and I think patients potentially face more dire consequences than the parties responsible for the situation.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'm not sure why the splitting of hairs here, but I think government regulation is needed, but I think it needs to focus more on the drug manufacturers that pushed opioids to the masses more than I want to see it come down on the public. Certainly there have to be means to incentivize doctors such that they don't encourage their patients to become addicts. I don't think an arbitrary 7-day cap makes the most sense and I think patients potentially face more dire consequences than the parties responsible for the situation.

Nationalize production of all opiate painkillers and their analogues, remove any incentives for doctors to prescribe them other than for the health of their patients.

Then do that with all the other drugs too.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I just foresee every liberal getting butt-hurt because every evil rich person is getting the same $1,000 that every poor man is getting paid - Hence UBI. Obviously I'm sure it won't be taxed equally, but the concept of someone rich getting the same as someone poor would just make people cry foul alone....

I think people would realize how much better it was once they realize it is fairer (e.g. why is a subset of the pop receiving voucher to pay for rent but others with similar income aren't?) and all the bureaucratic bullshit to administer various programs would be gone along with all the restrictions (e.g. government doesn't allow you to save a dime).

I don't disagree that wealth inequality needs to be addressed - but my biggest problem is the more we gravitate towards robotics the more that becomes a pipe-dream. You can make all the UBI you want, they will still be scraping the bottom of the barrel when you aren't producing any labor. Just a fact of life.

We could reduce hours worked in a week. That would open up more opportunities. In addition, while UBI would be low, time is worth money obviously.

Universal paid child-care is a different subject IMO - I think that is the key if we want the middle and upper middle class to start reproducing instead of just the lower IQ class. We are literally making Idiocracy into a documentary if we continue to make child-rearing a disadvantage for the middle and upper middle-class.

Idiocracy will probably continue. I think the establishment is going to follow a similar trajectory to other Western countries i.e. give $3000 or so for each kid.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
fair enough. TBH, I was halfway to getting lit when I posted that and the Showtime MacAfee doc, wherein MacAfee's preference for shit-in-is-mouth is many-times confirmed, was still fresh on my mind. lol.
He was big designer drug aficionado. Sure he imagines a lot of things.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I'll need to hear some concrete proposal in that regard. I'll explain why I think this bill may help.

When my dad passed away in 2016, he left behind 6 bottles of different opioids. These were prescribed at various times for acute pain due to falls he experienced because of his Parkinson's disease. But he never used more of the pain pills than he needed. So he left behind some 90 pills. Enough to kill what, 5 people? We disposed of them. However, we could have sold them on the street for $20 per pill. And someone could have died ODing on them. That's the problem with prescribing more than what is needed for acute pain. It creates a situation where there are billions of pills floating around which were unneeded for any therapeutic reason, which can then be abused by the patient, or by someone to whom the patient gave or sold the pills.

Also, my nephew is now interning for a DC lobby firm. He describes the work as "soul crushing." He says one of the things they are doing - at the behest of their client, Big Pharma - is paying chronic pain sufferers to camp Capitol Hill, and various state legislatures, and tell sob stories about how [the proposed legislation - whatever it is] will take away their medication and make their lives miserable. It's smoke and mirrors. Don't fall for it.

I have no doubt that the bill will be inconvenient for some people. But 10's of thousands are dying every year from these pills.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fox News Poll: Biden, Sanders top Democratic preference
So many Democrats are running for president the race feels like a March Madness bracket. If it were, the No. 1 seeds would be former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.
Either would be favored to beat President Donald Trump in the 2020 finals, according to the latest Fox News Poll.

Some interesting poll results. How do you feel about Fox's coverage of this? Are they pushing an agenda, is it fraught with fraud?
I think maybe the seniors won't do so well on debate stages. Does Harris really lead the younger crowd?

Poll-2-1.jpg

Poll-2-2.jpg

Poll-2-3.jpg

Poll-2-4.jpg

Poll-2-5.jpg

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
@dank69, We need to get Mayor Pete up on the poll.

Impressive candidate starting to catch fire. Beto better watch his six.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Only 25% of Democratic voters supporting abolishing ICE. Pathetic. That's such a minimal step compared to the deep systemic changes that are needed.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
In addition to English, he fluent in seven other languages, that's eight more than Trump.

I wanted to post this, but you did it much better than what I had.:beercheers:

He also got into the Ivy league and served his country in Afghanistan.

Trump had Daddy's money to get where he got (and get out of what he got in)

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I wanted to post this, but you did it much better than what I had.:beercheers:

He also got into the Ivy league and served his country in Afghanistan.

Trump had Daddy's money to get where he got (and get out of what he got in)
He's a Rhodes scholar and a concert pianist as well.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
@dank69, We need to get Mayor Pete up on the poll.

Impressive candidate starting to catch fire. Beto better watch his six.
The first time I heard of him was when I took the quiz on isidewith.com, and it was something around a 93-96% match. Everything I've heard since then makes me like him more as a candidate.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Pete's trying to play a game now and I'm not wild about it. He's saying coastal folks need to understand the Trump voters in the flyover regions... but no indication that those flyover folks need to cut their racist bullshit and irrational fears of who uses which bathroom and join the modern world.

I listen to their economic fears when they aren't so coated in crap.

I'm much rather continue to shame those people and make the reach out to the vast population that didn't vote last time and get them to put things over the top for the D candidate.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Damn. The pols in this country are so corrupt it's unbelievable. She's been using Russian talking points non-stop, but this one takes the cake.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-with-russia-it-could-have-led-to-a-civil-war

“Now that Mueller has reported that his investigation revealed no such collusion, we all need to put aside our partisan interests and recognize that finding that the president of the United States did not conspire with Russia to interfere with our elections is a good thing for our country,” said Gabbard, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

She continued, “Because if the president had been indicted for conspiring with Russia to interfere with and affect the outcome of our elections, it would have precipitated a terrible crisis that could have led to civil war. So we should all be relieved that President Trump was not found to have colluded with the Russians.”

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Pete's trying to play a game now and I'm not wild about it. He's saying coastal folks need to understand the Trump voters in the flyover regions... but no indication that those flyover folks need to cut their racist bullshit and irrational fears of who uses which bathroom and join the modern world.

I listen to their economic fears when they aren't so coated in crap.

I'm much rather continue to shame those people and make the reach out to the vast population that didn't vote last time and get them to put things over the top for the D candidate.

Just remember if Ds lose MI, IA, PA and WI again Trump gets a second term.

GOP trickle down economics and lack of investment in the country has failed many people.

There are voters to be won back, but not if Ds are trying to piss in their faces.

Pete being a Midwesterner would actually go a long way.