Delicate snowflake GOP congressmen triggered by painting. Need a safe space

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Art should provoke conversation.
That's an arbitrary assertion. One could just as easily say that art should incite quiet introspection.

Art doesn't have to do anything. It's up to the person experiencing it to experience it. That involves decision-making as well as passivity.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm honestly surprised people as dense as him exist.
Rest assured, there's enough in the US to get a turd like Trump elected as president.

Look out world, the religious right is here to fuck your shit up. MAKE USA GREAT AGAIN, or burn this mother fucker down, slogans are interchangeable.

Reactions: bshole

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hope I didn't hurt your tiny feelings old pal, I'll leave you to your safe space where no paintings will hurt you and you can freely criticise without being criticised about your stupid beliefs, shoddy grammar and horrendous spelling.

Yeah, he keeps coming back...like a moth drawn to a flame. Or, maybe a better example would be like a dog digging up cat turds, just can't help himself.

Hey, Look it's twins!

I just find it amazing how many defining Urine in a container with a Crucifix as "Art".

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You're a christian, which requires quite a bit of mental gymnastics and leaps over both logic and fact to accept, yet art baffles you.

Exhibit a, ladies and gentlemen.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Let's put up a painting of a Muslim with a pig face hacking off the head of an infidel and see how well that flies, OP. Or maybe a bunch of Chicago gang-bangers with rabid dog faces shooting each other.

Now who's triggered?

Yes, I was being sarcastic to make a point. It's perfectly acceptable for a lib to get offended and lash out at the slightest provocation, but God forbid a non lib expresses their offense at anything done by a lib. Libs are the true fascists, which is why I'll never be one even if I agree with them on certain issues.

http://wpo.st/vipQ2

Pathetic. What a bunch of babies. No problem with a bunch of confederate artwork, literal traitors to the republic they're supposed to be representing.

Reactions: JockoJohnson

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
FerrelGeek, I don't see that as accurate. Con's regularly get offended by almost anything. They're the most faux-persecuted people around.

As for your examples, those can both be considered art. And both can be viewed in a historical context.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
Let's put up a painting of a Muslim with a pig face hacking off the head of an infidel and see how well that flies
Sounds like an award winner to me. You'll have offended the right-wing extremist Muslims just like the very sensitive Christian righties (exhibit A in this thread) but apart from them nobody else would care to the extent these loony theocrats would.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This makes me think of when that crypt keeper Giuliani was mayor.

How dare this art exhibit offend me and my mistress!

Reactions: soundforbjt

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Oh, don't be so naive. The left would be in a shrieking, head-spinning rage. And I see you totally ignored my other example.

Sounds like an award winner to me. You'll have offended the right-wing extremist Muslims just like the very sensitive Christian righties (exhibit A in this thread) but apart from them nobody else would care to the extent these loony theocrats would.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not saying that people on the right don't get offended. I don't even really have an issue with being offended by something. My issues is with the self-righteous attitude that many on the left have. The left - 'We're sooooo tolerant! Sooooo morally superior! Soooooo together!' ZOMG!!!! some guy looked at me in a way I don't like! I feel violated! Trump got elected!!!! ZOOOOMMMMG!! I need classes / exams canceled!!! I need puppies!!!! I need coloring books!!!! I need to find a person wearing a nappie pin on their lapel so I know I can get a safe hug! Oh FFS! someone on the LL Bean board made a private donation to a candidate I hate!! Let's destroy that company!!

Look. I'm no Trump fanboy; I've said that several times. You want to hate the guy? Be my guest, it's your right! But don't act all bloody superior (not saying you personally, ch33zw1z) and rag on a group for doing something that many on your team do in spades.

FerrelGeek, I don't see that as accurate. Con's regularly get offended by almost anything. They're the most faux-persecuted people around.

As for your examples, those can both be considered art. And both can be viewed in a historical context.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
It is a disgusting piece of filth. Regardless of what the idiot that made it says.

Piss Christ always amuses me because I like to think of what must've been necessary to make it.

I mean, say the "artist" had been well hydrated when he peed in the jar. "Well that won't work. Everyone will think it's just water, and Water Christ just doesn't have the same panache as Piss Christ." So then he had to go a little while without drinking to get that perfect urine color.

Such artistic standards. The idea of someone worrying what color their pee is for any other reason than to verify hydration, especially for the sake of their "art", is hilarious to me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just find it amazing how many defining Urine in a container with a Crucifix as "Art".

How could it not possibly be art? It seems to engender such a visceral reaction from you--it can't be anything but art. From your perspective anyway.

Further, I think it's possible that you just have a very pedestrian definition of art.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Hey, Look it's twins!

I find it amazing that Donald Trump defines urine on the face and in the mouth as "Erotic". Different strokes for different folks I guess.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yeah, he keeps coming back...like a moth drawn to a flame. Or, maybe a better example would be like a dog digging up cat turds, just can't help himself.
Nah, that dog is only digging up cat turds because he can sell them to lefties as art. Good money there.

Reactions: pcgeek11

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
Oh, don't be so naive. The left would be in a shrieking, head-spinning rage. And I see you totally ignored my other example.

Go through this thread and you'll soon realise 'the left' seems to be very hypocritical Christian Republicans. Everybody else here has agreed that nothing should be free from criticism and artistic expression.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
How could it not possibly be art? It seems to engender such a visceral reaction from you--it can't be anything but art. From your perspective anyway.

Further, I think it's possible that you just have a very pedestrian definition of art.

Pedestrian, maybe. Visceral reaction, well if you count a feeling of disgust.

I can't seem to get excited about excrement being artistic.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You're a christian, which requires quite a bit of mental gymnastics and leaps over both logic and fact to accept, yet art baffles you.

Exhibit a, ladies and gentlemen.

What does me being a Christian have to do with any of this?

Poop and Urine are not Art.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
What does me being a Christian have to do with any of this?

Poop and Urine are not Art.

It's because you're offended. You cannot handle anything that is remotely challenging in a metaphorical/intellectual/educational manner.

Fuck man, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the art's statement. "Humanity has long been pissing on Christ's teachings", "Turn the other cheek quickly becomes tear down the piece", "That the followers of a calm and peaceful man are quick to anger and belligerence", etc etc.

But that requires a bit of thought. Much easier to just go "Yuck is bad. Bad man makes yuck. Why errybody think not-yuck?"

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I read a number of articles on this one lately and the ACTUAL story is that it's a FALSE NARRATIVE (evil cops just pickin' on black folks who #dindunuffin) and is apparently violating the rules of the contest it won.

...but in true "progressive" fashion, they've re-spun the narrative again to make their friends look like victims, and those wanting fairness to look like the abusers.

*sigh* It's getting downright tiresome... but keep it up "progressives". The more you sh*t everywhere, the less people will tolerate you.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It's because you're offended. You cannot handle anything that is remotely challenging in a metaphorical/intellectual/educational manner.

Fuck man, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the art's statement. "Humanity has long been pissing on Christ's teachings", "Turn the other cheek quickly becomes tear down the piece", "That the followers of a calm and peaceful man are quick to anger and belligerence", etc etc.

But that requires a bit of thought. Much easier to just go "Yuck is bad. Bad man makes yuck. Why errybody think not-yuck?"

First of all, You have no idea what I can and cannot handle.

And your second paragraph is just you attempting to make yourself seem intelligent.

But what ever makes you seem like a better person... Regardless of your "intellectual" babble it is not art. It is human waste.