Delicate snowflake GOP congressmen triggered by painting. Need a safe space

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
They represent their #safespacebitch constituents. For a party that's so anti-PC, they sure are all about being PC.

Reactions: agent00f

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Maybe Trump can help them find a safe space, like he wanted for Pence.

Dec 10, 2005
Is it any surprise that perpetual victims are complaining about being victimized by a painting?

Jan 25, 2011
I'm sure Trump will be tweeting for the painting to be restored and for the PC police to grow a set.

Yup...... Any second now......,,

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
I fully support separation of SJW and State, but how long has the painting been up and what is the context here.

If it's just good/evil while portraying cops as pigs, that's simply not a winner for the left as petty as it might seem. Take the loss and move on.

Jan 25, 2011
I fully support separation of SJW and State, but how long has the painting been up and what is the context here.

If it's just good/evil while portraying cops as pigs, that's simply not a winner for the left as petty as it might seem. Take the loss and move on.
Read the article in the OP. It was drawn by a student as part of a national contest with winners having them hung where they were hung.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
Read the article in the OP. It was drawn by a student as part of a national contest with winners having them hung where they were hung.

Ok, that's fine. Apparently It's from a student in the ferguson area. Couldn't the relevant members of congress politely ask the kid for a redo?

The student could've painted the cop white as chalk and no one would have batted an eye.

Now they're giving statements in front of the painting? They look every bit as childish as the congressman.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just so we are clear: The right has no issues with cartoons of Muhammad but a painting by a kid depicting a cop as a pig is crossing the line?

I remember a time when art that provoked an emotion, controversial or not, was an example of what freedom looked like in this country.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
Just so we are clear: The right has no issues with cartoons of Muhammad but a painting by a kid depicting a cop as a pig is crossing the line?

I remember a time when art that provoked an emotion, controversial or not, was an example of what freedom looked like in this country.

A perfect example of your typical 'loving' Christian Republican who wants to be free to mock Muslims but turns to super chode mode when I do the same to him:
@Atreus21

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Looked like a well done piece of art to me.

These guys should be more worried about doing their jobs.

Ya, right.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

jana519

Jul 12, 2014

How is this even a fair comparison. When radicalized Muslims promote a figure and ideology that aims to kill innocent people, fuck that ideology and it's figurehead.

Sure, there are some bad cops out there. But by and large the men and women in uniform protect the public. Any effort to demonize cops for their profession is juvenile and ludicrous. Why endorse that? This painting should be tossed in the waste bin.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I couldn't care less where they hang it. Looks like crap to me. Maybe in the outhouse.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How is this even a fair comparison. When radicalized Muslims promote a figure and ideology that aims to kill innocent people, fuck that ideology and it's figurehead.

Sure, there are some bad cops out there. But by and large the men and women in uniform protect the public. Any effort to demonize cops for their profession is juvenile and ludicrous. Why endorse that? This painting should be tossed in the waste bin.

I think my point was lost on you;)

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

A perfect example of your typical 'loving' Christian Republican who wants to be free to mock Muslims but turns to super chode mode when I do the same to him:
@Atreus21

You mean something like this that was government funded and the liberal left including Hillary defended as free speech.

Immersion (Piss Christ) is a 1987 photograph by the American artist and photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. The piece was a winner of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art's "Awards in the Visual Arts" competition,[1] which was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, a United States Government agency that offers support and funding for artistic projects, without controlling content.

Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres_%281987%29.jpg

Liberals set the standard for mocking religion in an artistic form, long before 9/11, Islamophobia, etc. at a time when most Americans couldn't care or know enough about Islam and Muslims to draw cartoons about them, so don't be hypocrites now when someone mocks any religion or group (like police officers) and calls it art and others get offended and want it removed.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Both Democrats and Republicans are hypocritical about what they want to be allowed in public. One has issues with confederate items, one has problems with this painting. Both complain they're offensive. That being said, if a painting was up that put black people in a stereotypical role, it's be called racist. And the Dems argument of free speech wouldn't be used, they'd be on the other side. The argument one needs a safe space and be used on both sides. As usual though, most don't see that Dems and Repubs are the same in a lot of ways.

The issue I have with the painting is that it paints an incorrect picture, perpetuates the lie what happened in Ferguson, which is what this painting is about. The false narrative that the media pushed and how it was portrayed. It's pretty good artwork though. I don't know the legality of it to be honest, being allowed on state property or not. But driving a wedge further between the community and police is not what we need. The relationship is worse than it has been in a very long time.

Reactions: jana519

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Please, both conservatives and liberals are equally guilty of being hypocritical towards art they find offensive.

The last time someone drew the prophet Muhammed, their office got shot up by gunmen and people died. Comedy Central no longer airs the super friends themed South Park episode, which did not depict Muhammed poorly or disrespectfully, out of fear of who it might offend or the "response" it might provoke.

Art should provoke and evoke emotion. Art is an expression of free speech. However, art can also be offensive, and I can't imagine why someone would take offense to celebrating a painting that depicts police as animals.

If a conservative artist were to dramatically and artisticly depict the body count of minority gun deaths in Chicago, and that painting were to be hung in Chicago, what do you think the response would be?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You mean something like this that was government funded and the liberal left including Hillary defended as free speech.

Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres_%281987%29.jpg

Liberals set the standard for mocking religion in an artistic form, long before 9/11, Islamophobia, etc. at a time when most Americans couldn't care or know enough about Islam and Muslims to draw cartoons about them, so don't be hypocrites now when someone mocks any religion or group (like police officers) and calls it art and others get offended and want it removed.

Uhmm I think the point is that liberals are okay with both being mocked while conservatives make that choice selectively.

I'm all for piss Christ, it definitely started a conversation. You can draw all the pictures of Mohammed you want. I'm not offended by either. See how that works?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Please, both conservatives and liberals are equally guilty of being hypocritical towards art they find offensive.

The last time someone drew the prophet Muhammed, their office got shot up by gunmen and people died. Comedy Central no longer airs the super friends themed South Park episode, which did not depict Muhammed poorly or disrespectfully, out of fear of who it might offend or the "response" it might provoke.

Now who do you think Comedy Central is worried about offending, liberals or Muslim conservatives?

Art should provoke and evoke emotion. Art is an expression of free speech. However, art can also be offensive, and I can't imagine why someone would take offense to celebrating a painting that depicts police as animals.

If a conservative artist were to dramatically and artisticly depict the body count of minority gun deaths in Chicago, and that painting were to be hung in Chicago, what do you think the response would be?

That painting probably already exists somewhere in Chicago, haha.

Reactions: Perknose

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just appreciate the fact they are spending OUR time and OUR money debating this.