Dearborn school district now offering students 100% Halal menu

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure of any reasonable argument I, as an atheist, could use to say that Halal chicken is inedible to me.
But if your kid’s school exclusively offered only halal food, they are by default acknowledging the existence of a monotheistic god. No monotheistic god, no reason for halal to exist.

Feb 4, 2009
But if your kid’s school offered only halal food, they are by default acknowledging the existence of a monotheistic god. No monotheistic god, no reason for halal to exist.

This is where you keep going off. Appears an overwhelming majority don’t think so.
You can keep repeating what you just said but an overwhelming majority do not agree.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But if your kid’s school offered only halal food, they are by default acknowledging the existence of a monotheistic god. No monotheistic god, no reason for halal to exist.

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

This is basically Bird Law at this point.

Feb 4, 2009
Does halal or kosher exist without religion?

Of course not but this is a strange diversion.
Also halal like stuff would exist because a lot of kosher or halal involves modernly accepted cleanliness. As in don’t slaughter the animal in its own shit, don’t let the meat rot, clean yourself before and after the slaughter.
Would there be ethics without religion

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
But if your kid’s school exclusively offered only halal food, they are by default acknowledging the existence of a monotheistic god. No monotheistic god, no reason for halal to exist.
My kids are atheists so it would literally just be chicken to them. They are fully aware that other people have other belief systems.

Edit. They would be acknowledging that other people believe in a monotheistic God, which youd have to be insanely closeted not to know.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I'm assuming you object to the current Pledge of Allegiance as well?

I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God,
indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm assuming you object to the current Pledge of Allegiance as well?

I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God,
indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
I don’t support kids having to recite the pledge, some schools no longer recite it and I would support a judicial decision forbidding the practice.

I would not support any school administrator forcing kids to recite the pledge.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I can't believe this dumbass thread is 25 pages long.
I blame the new rules. It forces people to actually engage in discussion. Some of the post count is also attributed to the passive aggressive who are incapable of contributing, so they dance instead

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I blame the new rules. It forces people to actually engage in discussion. Some of the post count is also attributed to the passive aggressive who are incapable of contributing, so they dance instead
You aren't really engaging in discussion though. You aren't answering a lot of points and all your doing is restating your opinion over and over.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You aren't really engaging in discussion though. You aren't answering a lot of points and all your doing is restating your opinion over and over.
I hit a wall with one poster because he is not answering my points either. I believe I’ve responded to yours. There is also the scenario that people *gasp* simply disagree, and I know some posters are struggling with not being able to just throw an insult and bail.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I hit a wall with one poster because he is not answering my points either. I believe I’ve responded to yours. There is also the scenario that people *gasp* simply disagree, and I know some posters are struggling with not being able to just throw an insult and bail.
Cool. So I'll just ask you a couple of questions if we are here then.

Do you believe that a recording playing in the background of a slaughterhouse changes a piece of meat?
Why would that recording make some meat not suitable for an atheist or Christian?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Okay.

1. Government funds being directed exclusively to halal suppliers has an air of state support for / furtherance of a particular religion.
2. Or, Government funds are allocated to a school district for providing student nutrition and are spent as seen fit at the local level to most effectively provide for the needs of the students.
3. Or, Who fucking cares.
4. Or, D, all of the above.

/thread

• Haha
Reactions: Starbuck1975

JenniferA

Banned
Oct 7, 2019
It doesn't matter which book you read, my sandwich description is valid in each case according any of the relevant religions.

A sandwich can be simultaneously kosher and halal and just a chicken sandwich.

Yeah but.... I want it to be Catholic! No fish, no Catholic sandwich. Besides, are you serving this on a SATURDAY?