*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Would this work well for streaming to an xbox 360 and ps3? I don't have any windows PCs and have had lots of problems streaming from OSX to either of them. I would like to take my 1TB storage drive out of my computer and put it in something like this if I would easily be able to stream to the xbox 360 and ps3.

I think WHS has capabilties like that... I don't use it personally so I can't say for sure...

BUT, if you are using a Window's OS, worst case, you can use TVersity to stream to your Xbox and PS3

GDoes

Dec 12, 2002
Does the Intel SS4200 storage server have a hardware or software based RAID controller?
If software based, it would explain why some people mentioned that it took forever to built...
If software, if getting the WHS version it won't support RAID...which means, no RAID?

-Glenn

Dec 26, 2007
Does the Intel SS4200 storage server have a hardware or software based RAID controller?
If software based, it would explain why some people mentioned that it took forever to built...
If software, if getting the WHS version it won't support RAID...which means, no RAID?

-Glenn

Correct about the software raid. This is done in software and has no hardware XOR capabilities AFAIK. With WHS you cannot do any kind of raid (except with what WHS offers). The software it comes with handles the raid if you want to go that route.

Personally I like the WHS solution. I have backups of some of my more important data on drives outside of the NAS just in case. That's just because I'm paranoid about losing data and have a lot of spare IDE HD's that aren't in use.

Mytime34

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2000
Well I already upgraded the SS4200-E from a week ago. I originally had 4x500gb drives, 2gb ram and the stock celly proc. It ran good, but I wanted more space.

I upgrade the drives to 4x1tb (Deskstars from Fry's) ($64ea in Illinois)
2gb ram ($18 off of ebay)
e4500 processor (found on Anandtech for $42)

Upgrading the drives was a major improvement with the 32mb of cache, but when I upgraded the processor it was a night and day difference. It used to take a few seconds for the screens to load when logging in or changing options, but now there is no lag time at all. It is instantaneous. Also the file transfers seem to go much much much faster.

I am still running the EMC software as it works great for my home setup and is more than enough for anything I will be throwing at it.

I am tempted to purchase another one strictly for backups and use this one for Media sharing.

P.S. I forgot to add that I put a small fan in front of the heatsink to help force air through. I have been checking and I have stable temps. Idle is 92f and full out working is only 102f

Last edited:

Mytime34

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2000
my goof, I put the fan in backwards. With the fan in correct the temps are 72-75f (room temp roughly) at idle and during my backup it is solid at 80f

Mytime34

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2000
I bought a second unit and installed 1gb ram and 4x 500gb drives. I am attempting the WHS install (via usb unattended)

I am expecting a e4300 in the mail to make it run a little better.

What I want to know is the following:
I have a Intel D945GCL motherboard that has almost the exact same specs (minus the onboard video and sound) that I would like to setup WHS on and than put the harddrive in the SS4200. Is this possible? Am I looking for any problems?

They both have the same sata ICH7R controller and D945 chipset and intel network driver. This seems to me the easiest way to get everything setup before hand.

Once this is setup I will compare the WHS to the EMC setups to see which one I like better.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Since this keeps getting bumped, can one of the mods here edit the title? I edited it a few times to reflect the $135 price but it's not showing up for some reason.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Since this keeps getting bumped, can one of the mods here edit the title? I edited it a few times to reflect the $135 price but it's not showing up for some reason.
I started to edit the title, and it appears I can do so. HOWEVER, I'm a bit nervous to do so. I'd hate it if such a popular thread somehow got messed up because of the edit. Call me conservative....

I'll be happy to try editing the title if you are sure that's what you want to do. It only takes me a few seconds. Whether my edit will "stick" or not, I don't know. Your edits should work as well as mine.

RebateMonger - AnandTech Moderator

Dec 26, 2007
I started to edit the title, and it appears I can do so. HOWEVER, I'm a bit nervous to do so. I'd hate it if such a popular thread somehow got messed up because of the edit. Call me conservative....

I'll be happy to try editing the title if you are sure that's what you want to do. It only takes me a few seconds. Whether my edit will "stick" or not, I don't know. Your edits should work as well as mine.

RebateMonger - AnandTech Moderator

I think the OP just wanted the "$149" price changed to reflect the current $135 price.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah change it to whatever you want..as long as it shows the accurate price. It doesn't stick for me.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
Did this deal just go dead? Amazon is now showing $299 and the ebay listing looks like it expired.

Anyway, I plan to perform the following upgrades. Any feedback would be appreciated. My goal is to make the box compatible with the next version of WHS and to stream pictures and video to my media extender:

Celeron 450 at MC for $30 -- nice frequency boost to 2.2 (but still 35W). I don't think I need a dual core and extra watts.

1GB Crucial CL5 PC-5300 at MC for $25 -- I don't think I need 2GB for file copying and streaming, but do I?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Did this deal just go dead? Amazon is now showing $299 and the ebay listing looks like it expired.

Anyway, I plan to perform the following upgrades. Any feedback would be appreciated. My goal is to make the box compatible with the next version of WHS and to stream pictures and video to my media extender:

Celeron 450 at MC for $30 -- nice frequency boost to 2.2 (but still 35W). I don't think I need a dual core and extra watts.

1GB Crucial CL5 PC-5300 at MC for $25 -- I don't think I need 2GB for file copying and streaming, but do I?

http://www.legendmicro.com/store/75...-Home-Server.lmsp?OpenTreeBranches=0&SortBy=0

The Amazon an eBay were sales by legendmicro...they still have it for sale on their page. I ordered directly from them for $149 awhile back and they shipped quick and had good service.

Mytime34

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2000
Here is what I have spent so far:

First ss4200-e $135 shipped
e4500 $42 shipped
2gb ram $27 shipped
4 x 1tb 7200rpm, 32mb cache Deskstars $64.99ea or $278.15
Windows Home Server $73 shipped (after BCB and discount using EPP at TigerDirect.com)
#1 Total $555

Second SS4200-E $99 shipped
e4300 $free as I traded another processor for it
1gb ram $free was left from a recent upgrade
4 x 500gb 7200rpm, 16mb cache drives $44ea or $188
120day WHS setup $free (still shows 119 days left on trial period)(at the end of the trial period I will prob put a real version of WHS on it)
#2 Total $287

To me those are fairly cheap prices compared to building a system that is that small and comes with the EMC software (which really is not that bad)

I did add, to both machines, a dual fan setup inside the plastic shroud for CPU heatsink. These fans blow air right from the outside across the heatsink and right out the back.
It was a night and day difference. I had some old switches and other odds and ends sitting around that I stole the fans out of. A little soldering and a plug from an old power supply and wallah all nice and neat and now COOL.

I will try to post pics of my setup as soon as all my touchups are complete

rsales

Oct 15, 1999
I took the bait and got one but it sat for awhile since I didn't have any drives for it. I picked up a couple of 2TB Hitachi drives so finally tried it. I do have a question. I don't see in the unit's software if you can set up the drives to be just two separate drives, not raid or mirrored. It defaulted to mirrored. Maybe I missed it in the setup?

It works but in looking at the unit and my needs, I'm considering not keeping it an going with another option for my media storage.

almer

Feb 8, 2010
The default software uses RAID by default. You would not be bale to install it unless you had at least two hard drives in. If you were to use Windows Home Server you would be able to set hard drives separately just the way you would like. It is a great little box. I had Server 2008R2 installed on one and Windows Home Server on anothjer and it is quiet and working set up.

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
What is the highest E4xxx CPU someone has running in one of these? Any hope for an E4700? Thanks!

almer

Feb 8, 2010
I have e4600 running without problem. I do belive that e4700 is the highest possible

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks, do you see any heat issues? Going from the low-clocked 35W to higher clocked 65W I was concerned the heat-sink might not cope.

Mytime34

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2000
The 65w chips do put out a little more heat, but if you add some smaller fans to the front of the unit it helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.