*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
The 65w chips do put out a little more heat, but if you add some smaller fans to the front of the unit it helps a lot.

I've haven't read about a lot of temperature problems with the lower-clocked 65W dual-cores.

The stock celeron 420 doesn't have speedstep. I put in a dual core 65W celeron e1500 that's clocked higher (2.2GHz v. 1.6GHz), but does support speedstep. The result, the e1500 actually idles about 3C lower in my s4200.

I still need to install WHS and test the CPU under a real load. Speedstep provides frequent downclocks during split second lulls in otherwise heavy CPU usage, which still helps control temperature. So I expect the e1500 to have about the same load temperature as the 420.

hotel77

Oct 21, 2004
I think WHS has capabilties like that... I don't use it personally so I can't say for sure...

BUT, if you are using a Window's OS, worst case, you can use TVersity to stream to your Xbox and PS3

From my experience with the PS3 and this server, it works great. I previously used my PC + PS3 Media server and it would occasionaly require a restart of the PS3 Media server, and sometimes even a reboot. With this server, I don't have any of those problems.

I'm strictly watching HD .MKV's converted to .mpg's through MKV2VOB though...I would imagine standard Xvid/Divx to have a little more trouble though.

almer

Feb 8, 2010
I've been watching e4500 and e4600 for quite some time and CPU nor the motherboard temperature do not fluctuate much. CPU stays at 30 degrees C and MB is between 49-51 degrees C. No acive cooling, just the same heatsing from Celeron.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
I have 3 of these puppies. Two are running WHS and the 3rd, the original EMC SW. So far so good. I only wish WHS took into account that it might not be the only WHS in the neighborhood. Maybe the next generation will fix this flaw.

rfs830

Jan 28, 2005
well when the time came that I wanted to get one of these they are no longer being sold. i hope they get some soon as I want to pick one of these up

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999
Anyone know how to get these units to recognize a UPS in the Power Management area of the EMC software? I have mine plugged into the USB port but it doesn't see it.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
I've been watching e4500 and e4600 for quite some time and CPU nor the motherboard temperature do not fluctuate much. CPU stays at 30 degrees C and MB is between 49-51 degrees C. No acive cooling, just the same heatsing from Celeron.

Did you just get the e4500+e4600 off of ebay? I am having a hard time finding them elsewhere.

almer

Feb 8, 2010
TheWart: I did get CPUs off the e-bay. Quite affordable. No active cooling required.

CosmoJoe

Jul 12, 2006
Question about this device; does the default management software/OS allow for Windows domain authentication? I run a little domain at home and am curious if I would have to set up credentials and sharing from scratch with this.

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999
If you need a home NAS (and plan on keeping the EMC setup) it's tough to find a better deal. Cheaper on eBay but NewEgg gives a 3 yr warranty, better than the 1 yr from LegendMicro. If you plan to convert to WHS I'd just buy your own parts and build one. Personally, I love mine with the EMC setup. I'd buy a 2nd if I didn't already have another NAS (custom) built.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Cheaper on eBay but NewEgg gives a 3 yr warranty, better than the 1 yr from LegendMicro.

Newegg only supports it for 30 days. The 3 year warranty that Newegg lists is the manufacturer's warranty, direct from Intel. LegendMicro might be different because IIRC they were selling it under a different brand and not as an Intel.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Newegg only supports it for 30 days. The 3 year warranty that Newegg lists is the manufacturer's warranty, direct from Intel. LegendMicro might be different because IIRC they were selling it under a different brand and not as an Intel.

LegendMicro was selling closeout inventory they picked up 3rd party from Fujitsu-Seimens. They were honoring a 1 year warranty directly through themselves.

I wonder if these Intel units have the "updated" power supply or not. If not, definitely not worth $149 since you'll be paying about $20 every time you need to RMA it.

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999

I know the warranty was manuf. warranty, all items at NewEgg are but my point was that this carries a 3 year which is pretty good for electronics these days.

The other poster who mentioned the Legend units being rebadged Siemens was absolutely correct though the hardware, firmware support, etc is essentially the same (minus the generic DOMs Legend shipped with).

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999
Anyone gotten NFS to work correctly with an OpenSuse client? My client sees the shares but every time I try to view the files/folders within I get an error of either doesn't exist, cannot connect to client or security not supported. I've tried setting the shares both with and without security and rebooted the NAS (twice) following NFS enabling and folder setup. No worky. I'm viewing view SMB for now but it's soooo much slower.

xylem

Jan 18, 2001
Info for anyone who is looking for an inexpensive solution to connect a video card:

I bought one of the 1x cabled risers, referenced in the first link provided by Ahodge, from Ebay, from a different seller. I think the total shipped cost was about $5.50. I (carefully) cut out the back of the female 1x slot with a serrated knife, and it works perfectly. I was able to use an x800xl.. not ideal, considering the need of a 6-pin PCI-E power cable, but i just used another power supply for that.

I have directly or indirectly ordered 5 of these units so far, two for myself (one in use, now running XP Pro), two for clients which are currently in use (running from the stock DOM, RAID 1 with 2 x 1TB WD Green drives), and one which will be installed very soon for a third client (running from the stock DOM). They seem solid so far. The overall product quality is impressive. I am a bit nervous about the reports of PSU failures.. fingers crossed.

I bought one of these...Haven't used it yet though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-Express-PCI...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53ddbadeda
Could use one of these with it to use a pci graphics card as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-E-express-1..._EN_Networking_Components?hash=item518c2647d5
Maybe you could stack a few of these together to get the vid card high enough out of the case. Maybe he'll combine shipping?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PCI-Express..._EN_Networking_Components?hash=item334d0072c3
Just some thoughts.
-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.