*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
Arrrhhhhgggg!!! This NAS doesn't support JBOD!! I have spent the last week trying to get it to take a 250gb hard drive....

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999
2 or 4 drives only, thought that was posted previously. 2 drives mirror, 4 drives raid 5 (3 drives worth of space available)

Dec 26, 2007
Arrrhhhhgggg!!! This NAS doesn't support JBOD!! I have spent the last week trying to get it to take a 250gb hard drive....

2 or 4 drives only, thought that was posted previously. 2 drives mirror, 4 drives raid 5 (3 drives worth of space available)

If you put WHS, Server 2003/2008, etc on it then it does support JBOD IIRC. I know WHS supports JBOD (I forget on server 2008 though)

GprophetB

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2003
I put 4 drives in mine (2 were fresh from factory, 2 were used but same 1TB drives)

It only picked up 2 of the drives... anyone know how to wipe the other 2 so it recognizes them?

gwynethgh

Jul 9, 2003
I put 4 drives in mine (2 were fresh from factory, 2 were used but same 1TB drives)

It only picked up 2 of the drives... anyone know how to wipe the other 2 so it recognizes them?

WHS or the provided EMC software?
I believe that the EMC software needs a clean MBR to recognize the drives.

MBRs on reused drives needs to be wiped.

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
Is there any workaround for this? different raid card or something? FreeNAS?

I refuse to believe that I am in over my head....

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Is there any workaround for this? different raid card or something? FreeNAS?

I refuse to believe that I am in over my head....

For the price of a raid card you could prolly get a 250gb drive.

FWIW when I opened up the machine to install my drives/ram, I didnt see where you could stick a raid card, so I am guessing it is on board. Like the others have said, WHS allows you to use as few/many disks as you want.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
It looks like this is OOS everywhere. Is there a new model that has taken over this model from Intel? I can't find anything on their site.

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999

Yes, mount the 2 drives that won't recognize into another system, download a linux bootcd (ubuntu should be fine) and boot into it, then run gpartd, wipe the partitions and boot info, rebmount the drives in the Intel NAS and all 4 should be seen. Had the same issue, drives were pulled from previous raid elsewhere and this fixed it.

GprophetB

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2003
MrHappy i just went into EMC's web interface and selected "remove all data" then it built the raid 5 as normal

no need to do any of that other crap. (Note to others the above method took around 4-5 hours to complete from start of erase to full build of the RAID)

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just grabbed four of the Hitachi 1TB drives on sale to finally populate mine. AND... why should this thread die?... there's lots of useful knowledge in it!

Joe

MrHappy

Dec 4, 1999
MrHappy i just went into EMC's web interface and selected "remove all data" then it built the raid 5 as normal

no need to do any of that other crap. (Note to others the above method took around 4-5 hours to complete from start of erase to full build of the RAID)

You do if it won't even boot (in my case, blinking lights of doom, no ip address obtained)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Just put in 4 Hitachi 2TB drives. So far so good!

I had mine setup with 4 1TB Seagate drives and just replaced those with 4 of the Hitachi 2TB drives as well. Surprisingly easy, I just moved the data off the NAS, removed the Seagates and popped in the Hitachi drives. It kept all the configuration information and proceeded to build the new array. I checked it this AM and it was doing a rebuild but it showed 5.8 TB of space ready to use.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
And this is with the base EMC software? I was under the impression that it would only recognize 1TB drives. If this is the case, that's cool... but it sucks that I just bought 4 1TB drives a month ago when I could have gotten 2TB's. :(

Joe

CosmosRewind

Jun 12, 2005
It's a shame these were discontinued. They are great devices when you replace the stock software. Should have picked up more than one.

I have been looking for something similar and haven't found anything yet (that's reasonably priced).

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
It's a shame these were discontinued. They are great devices when you replace the stock software. Should have picked up more than one.

I have been looking for something similar and haven't found anything yet (that's reasonably priced).

I agree. I run openfiler on mine.. I initially had 1, but when I heard that intel was discounting them, I bought 2 more (really for spares since the new NAS was cheaper then a replacement PSU!)...

I currently use 2 and have 1 as a backup, could not be happier. I just hope they last!

Vikroda

Apr 9, 2003
I'm running out of space on my fully populated NAS (laptop boot drive, 3 1.5TB internal + 1 eSATA 2TB flexraid backup). I was thinking about getting the Rosewill 4 bay box from Newegg $130+ship. Or I was considering getting the backplane that they use in the backblaze storage pod and an external case since I just need the port multiplier and not the RAID features of the Rosewill box.
Edit: I just ordered an open box version of the Rosewill for $96. Hopefully this will work.

Dec 26, 2007
I'm running out of space on my fully populated NAS (laptop boot drive, 3 1.5TB internal + 1 eSATA 2TB flexraid backup). I was thinking about getting the Rosewill 4 bay box from Newegg $130+ship. Or I was considering getting the backplane that they use in the backblaze storage pod and an external case since I just need the port multiplier and not the RAID features of the Rosewill box.
Edit: I just ordered an open box version of the Rosewill for $96. Hopefully this will work.

That Rosewill works. I've been meaning to get around to ordering one for a while now. I have 3x 2 TB drives and 4x 1 TB drives so I need to get one to throw 3 of the 1 TB's in so I can still use that space. As it stands currently, those drives will be sitting around doing nothing until I get that.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Just got the blinking lights of doom (using the regular fujitsu scaleo OS) :(

What are the blinking lights of doom? I'm running the stock OS and the thing isn't stable for more than 5-10 minutes. Starts data reconstruction, gets maybe 1% in and then unresponsive. Been happening for months. At one point I left it off for a while (weeks), turned it on and it completed the reconstruction and it was stable for a few weeks then back to unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.