*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
Since WHS is a variant of Server 2003, does that mean that one could set up 2003 or 2008 to have the same sort of storage setup (spanning... file/directory mirroring etc) that WHS has?

Google says at least one person claims to have taken WHS and installed it on a full-blown Server 2003: http://www.mohawksystems.com/

I'm also surprised that pirated DOMs for WHS and this unit haven't ended up on ebay. One would think that there is at least a market as large as the numbers of these units being sold.

Remember that WHS doesn't install onto the DOM. The Fujitsu-Siemens DOM supposedly has a custom (WinPE?) image to allow remote-reinstall from a networked computer with a DVD-ROM, but that wouldn't give one a copy of WHS. It *WOULD* be a very interesting disk image to have though :D

Richard

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Thanks! If Drashna said it, it's probably true! :D

Richard
I can't find it anymore, but there was an MSDN blog post regarding the limitations of qs.exe on WHS. It mentioned that it was only capable of firing off the install that runs fdisk and format for OEM installations.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Does anyone know what kind of power supply this thing uses? (form factor)

Strangely, the manual gives a wealth of technical info about the PS but says nothing about form factor.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Does anyone know what kind of power supply this thing uses? (form factor)

Strangely, the manual gives a wealth of technical info about the PS but says nothing about form factor.
PicoPSU style "server class". Thing is most server class PSU's are custom to their chassis, and as tight as this thing fits under the side-rail even 1/8" is going to be a pain in the ass.

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
I'm also surprised that pirated DOMs for WHS and this unit haven't ended up on ebay. One would think that there is at least a market as large as the numbers of these units being sold.
I have a copy of the Fujitsu dom image from someone. I don't think it would help any pirates. It doesn't have WHS on, it but it directs the SS4200 to a PC where the Fujitsu recovery and/or install disk would be, and on top of that you still would need a key. So it is no different for Microsoft interests than the slip streamed OEM install with SS4200 drivers image people are sharing, they don't facilitate piracy. you either crack the key, buy an illegitimate one from a seller of technet keys, or do what most of us do, buy a proper OEM license key. I think the people sharing the slipstream image and all seem to already be buyers of the $110 OEM for newegg or technet subscribers all who have perfectly legal rights.

It is no loss to Microsoft, it probably increases sales of OEM licenses, but Fujitsu's method being shared is different for Fujitsu's interests as they did do the engineering on their particular recovery system or method. Sharing that for the purpose of install does in a theoretical way harm them, although perhaps no so much since they no longer sell it. I think examining it would more or less help replication the concept. I personally don't have windows PE, or even a method or knowledge for decompiling what is on the image, so I am not up to the task. I just grabbed the image in the case someone in future is.. But as I said it doesn't help you at all pirating WHS.

Last edited:

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
. The Fujitsu-Siemens DOM supposedly has a custom (WinPE?) image to allow remote-reinstall from a networked computer with a DVD-ROM, but that wouldn't give one a copy of WHS. It *WOULD* be a very interesting disk image to have though :D
Richard
That is exactly what it has according to a gnome. a winpe build to be used in conjunction with a fujitsu WHS recovery dvd.

Last edited:

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
Well as a follow up - turns out that this unit has a notoriously sensitive power supply in it. Fujitsu-Siemens forums is littered with issues (ironically asking about recovery in conjunction with power failures) that all have basically resulted in the unit having to go to a FSC repair center.
I have corresponded with a number of people who bought the fujitsu a year ago, many of who have been heavily using their Scaleos 24/7. Of the ten people I found none have had the problem. But you are correct it apparently was widespread enough that tech service bulletins for the problem were created, and a special PSU replacement kit $200 (LOL) was and is available.
Probably an elevated risk to write cache without a battery backup.

The build quality overall seems extremely robust, so it is somewhat surprising.

Last edited:

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
PicoPSU style "server class". Thing is most server class PSU's are custom to their chassis, and as tight as this thing fits under the side-rail even 1/8" is going to be a pain in the ass.
Here are the dimensions of a 180W server PSU on NewEgg: could someone with this NAS see if it matches that PSU?
125.0Lx81.5Wx40.5H mm
(4.9" x 3.2" x 1.6")

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
150 x 81.5 x 40.5 as per the specs here http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-028562.htm
Looks like it's a tad long.
And it's a 250 watt.

length is not an issue, plenty of room. the problem is the 81.5 wide measurement since this is typically 100 in mass produced 250 watt mini psu of this type, and the fan is in the way

look here: http://www.sparklepower.com/proIPCPS_1U2U.html

the 84 w x 40h x 220 long will fit, but seem to just go up to 200 watts.

my recommendation for out of warranty PSU replacement internal would be to use the 100 mm wide in 250 or 300 watts from the above site or a retailer, and simply replace that one 65 mm main exhaust fan with a 50 mm fan.

PSU failure choices after warranty:
1) Fugly, but probably the best cost/efficiency/available power solution: mount a $50 high quality high efficiency 350 on the outside
2) get one of the above from my link in 250 or 300w and and replace one of the two system fans with a smaller one. you will have to cut a hole in the case to accommodate the switch, or remove the switch from the PSU
3) pay intel $200 for their PSU kit
4) buy another ss4200 if there are any left

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
length is not an issue, plenty of room. the problem is the 81.5 wide measurement since this is typically 100 in mass produced 250 watt mini psu of this type, and the fan is in the way

look here: http://www.sparklepower.com/proIPCPS_1U2U.html

the 84 w x 40h x 220 long will fit, but seem to just go up to 200 watts.

my recommendation for out of warranty PSU replacement internal would be to use the 100 mm wide in 250 or 300 watts from the above site or a retailer, and simply replace that one 65 mm main exhaust fan with a 50 mm fan.

PSU failure choices after warranty:
1) Fugly, but probably the best cost/efficiency/available power solution: mount a $50 high quality high efficiency 350 on the outside
2) get one of the above from my link in 250 or 300w and and replace one of the two system fans with a smaller one. you will have to cut a hole in the case to accommodate the switch, or remove the switch from the PSU
3) pay intel $200 for their PSU kit
4) buy another ss4200 if there are any left
Or better yet, just make sure you're running in the ss4200 on a filtered/isolated AC line (decent quality UPS).

JJ44

Jan 25, 2010
Or better yet, just make sure you're running in the ss4200 on a filtered/isolated AC line (decent quality UPS).
absolutely my friend that is good advice.
But as mentioned the PSU itself may have higher than average failure rate. Intel did issue a TSB and a replacement kit on the Ss4200 PSU.

I certainly will be looking for a good price on the 550 series APC USB triggered (I checked the and the driver works with WHS) UPC.

But there is a fair chance some number of users will see a PSU failure despite precautions after warranty expires.

There are five options in that case: buying a spare ss4200 if available; buying the Intel replacement kit which sells for more than the current ss4200; mounting a standard PSU externally; getting one is those similar sized PSUs I noted, replacing one fan, and doing a bit of metal work to deal with the switch; and finally locating the exact same PSU, the dps-250ab-24 b Rev 00F
http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-0db2-6ae41096ec75b681fa1b716aae525d39.htm?cm_cat=0&pm1=3
in the states, which I have not been able to find.

I was pointing out in my post that for internal replacement with off the shelf mini PSUs length is not the issue, but width is.

Last edited:

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
I certainly will be looking for a good price on the 550 series APC USB triggered (I checked the and the driver works with WHS) UPC.

I'm using a pretty cheap CyberPower CP485SL via USB and the standard Windoze UPS driver and it's working fine. None of the bells and whistles of PowerChute, but it was plug-n-play....

Richard

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
With the amount of techies/EEs in here why is no one talking about simply fixing the PSU if it dies? Is the problem the individual components are simply not available or is the issue actually finding the issue? Even with my limited understanding I have fixed electrical devices by simply replacing components such as resistors on PCB.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
With the amount of techies/EEs in here why is no one talking about simply fixing the PSU if it dies? Is the problem the individual components are simply not available or is the issue actually finding the issue? Even with my limited understanding I have fixed electrical devices by simply replacing components such as resistors on PCB.
Even given my limited electronics background (Dad was an EE, I grew up in his business)... there are certain pieces of technology I won't touch a soldering iron to. One of them being in conjunction with 20GB of my wifes digital photos.

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
Even given my limited electronics background (Dad was an EE, I grew up in his business)... there are certain pieces of technology I won't touch a soldering iron to. One of them being in conjunction with 20GB of my wifes digital photos.

There's plenty of validity to that! However, most power supplies seem to fail pretty hard and are often as simple as replacing the capacitors. It's definitely not a casual fix for most people - I'm lucky enough to have a buddy who lives that stuff ;) Even he gets some which can't be fixed.

It's usually easy enough to bench test the repaired unit - if it failed hard then it'll either work or not. Use voltmeter to confirm correct outputs and reinstall. Bad ripple can require a scope to find, but that's much less common.

YMMV of course!
Richard

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
hey guys, so I took the plunge and ordered one and tried to put WHS on it last night.

I let it run while I slept, and when I woke up the disk and network light were solid, while the power LED was blinking blue. I have one 300gb drive in there, and it had already been formatted and then zeroed (to get rid of the MBR).

However, the server is not showing up on the router's list of attached devices. I popped the disk back out (almost breaking the drive's power connectors...am I the only one who can't stand how the sata/power cables are organized in the case??) and put it in my USB enclosure.

The drive has some folders on it, and I took a screenshot and put it here:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8717/screenshot20100127at651.png

Any ideas?

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
I probably suffered more than most getting WHS to load. The last two thing i did to finally make it work was -

1. I used the driver package posted over at WGS and loaded ALL the drivers in the package into the slipstream.

2. I put it all together on a Vista 64bit machine. I read over at WGS that it only seemed to work on a Vista machine. Apparently this is true.

Also, you might want to let the client install find the server rather than looking for it in your router. Router clients lists are notoriously false. It's not at all unusual to have a computer fully connected and pulling an ip and yet not show up in the routers list of clients.

Dec 26, 2007
I probably suffered more than most getting WHS to load. The last two thing i did to finally make it work was -

1. I used the driver package posted over at WGS and loaded ALL the drivers in the package into the slipstream.

2. I put it all together on a Vista 64bit machine. I read over at WGS that it only seemed to work on a Vista machine. Apparently this is true.

Also, you might want to let the client install find the server rather than looking for it in your router. Router clients lists are notoriously false. It's not at all unusual to have a computer fully connected and pulling an ip and yet not show up in the routers list of clients.

Worked for me on Windows 7. I had a massively hard time getting it to work though. It took about a week of trying to finally get a working install.

Status
Not open for further replies.