Dark Souls 1 Remaster coming to PC May 25th (Also PS4, XBONE, Switch)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/01/11/...tch-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-being-announced-today

According to multiple sources, both in development and retail, in the next few hours Nintendo will announce a Nintendo Direct Mini to air shortly afterwards showing 2018 software for Switch. As part of this Nintendo Direct, Dark Souls Remastered will be revealed, updating the original game to be playable portably for the first time. Our sources say this is the closing announcement of the direct.

A few hours later it will be announced that Dark Souls Remastered is also coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC. These ports are being handled by a separate company from the Switch port, and will feature rebuilt lighting and SFX based on Dark Souls 3, as well as upscaled textures. One change we've been made aware of is that multiplayer will be expanded to support six concurrent players, which makes sense if the goal is to get Dark Souls' covenant system working a little more smoothly.

One of our sources indicates that Bandai Namco plans to bring all three Dark Souls games to Switch eventually, but the oft-rumoured 'trilogy' bundle is not how this will be happening – yet. The Dark Souls Remaster will be launching May 25th on all platforms.

This is badass.

Reactions: OCNewbie

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Only if it's a free/cheap dlc. Otherwise, modding community already took care of it.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I'd rather have Demon's Souls Remastered.

It was my first thought too. They said they are using the DS3 engine for the remaster though, so I'm expecting it should be better than the first, so long as they keep the same combat intact.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Excellent! I eagerly await to see how the new version performs and looks on the PC. I've wanted to get it for a long time, but the poor ports for 1 and 2 kept me from getting them.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Excellent! I eagerly await to see how the new version performs and looks on the PC. I've wanted to get it for a long time, but the poor ports for 1 and 2 kept me from getting them.
Eh, Scholar of the First Sin was decent on PC.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Only if it's a free/cheap dlc. Otherwise, modding community already took care of it.

That mod was a pain in the ass to setup for me. If I had it render at 60 fps I'd get a horrible tear line around the middle of the screen. The only way I could get rid of it was setting the target framerate to 65 fps and then focing vsync to 60 fps through the Nvidia Control Panel (running a Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970). And the game was still very cpu bottlenecked at parts using the dsfix mod. There were more than a few places where I'd be pulling framerates in the 40s. It's an amazing game so I could live with those frame drops but I'll be excited as hell to get a proper 60 fps version of the game.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Wish they did this for "Demon's Souls". Not Dark Souls.

RPCS3 can play Demon's Souls in 4k allegedly.

I personally haven't had a lot of luck getting it run well with a Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 (though a lot of other games run great on RPCS3 for me and the cpu tears through CEMU/PCSX2/Dolphin/etc). But I didn't spend much time with it since I have a PS3 and a physical copy of the game. It's a really cool game but I think Dark Souls 1 was a major improvement. Demon's Souls has the atmosphere and some really cool levels but it doesn't have those kind of epic boss fights you see in Dark Souls. Tower Knight in Demon's Souls is really impressive to see, but it's not a particularly interesting fight tactically. Not anywhere close to as fun of a fight as Ornstein & Smough in Dark Souls or Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne.

Reactions: ibex333

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I heard its hella tough.

They're difficult games, but don't write them off. I only bought Bloodborne because it was dirt cheap and I wanted another game after buying a PS4. I didn't expect to like it because of the difficulty, but it pretty quickly became my game of the decade because the combat is so much fun. I don't think Dark Souls 1 is as good as Bloodborne (obviously not if BB is my game of the decade) but it's still a pretty amazing game. The Souls games really keep you on your toes because the punishment is pretty harsh when you do something stupid and/or careless.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I heard its hella tough.
Dark Souls games can be frustrating. Because you can lose a lot of progress when you die.
But there is an easy solution. If you are playing on PC.

On PC we know where the save-games are. The game itself does not allow you to save your game, and later restart from there. But because we have control over our own PC, we can actually do something similar. Whenever you know you're gonna do something risky (like fighting a particular boss), exit the game (or go to the main menu and then alt-tab), open the folder where the save-game lives (there's only one). Copy it. Go back playing your game. If something happens that you didn't like, just quit the game again, copy your save-file back, and start playing again.

Without this, I would not play any Dark Souls games. I love the game. The last 2 years I've had very little time to play games (compared to before). But most of my limited gaming time went into DS1, DS3 and DS2. Some things in DS games are just bogus. (e.g. Bed of Chaos, or you got invaded at the wrong moment, or there is a boss with a long run to the boss room). Removing that frustration makes the game a lot more fun. At least for me.

I think you can do this too on a controller. I believe those have the ability to copy some user files to an USB-stick ? If that is true, you can probably copy your savefile to an USB-stick, and restore when you need it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I heard its hella tough.

Only because of clunky controls and glitches like enemies being able to hit you through a wall and having to make you traverse narrow platforms and poor collision detection bumps you down to your death. It's not that it's hard like Ninja Gaiden which forced you to have quick reflexes and learn the combat, it's just frustrating.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
might get me to jump on this franchise

It's an excellent game and still holds up well. I played it for the first time about a year ago and thought it was amazing (other than the crap performance that will hopefully be fixed by the remaster).

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
It's an excellent game and still holds up well. I played it for the first time about a year ago and thought it was amazing (other than the crap performance that will hopefully be fixed by the remaster).
What was great about it?
It's just a repetitive dungeon crawler with no story.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
What was great about it?

The highlight of the game is probably the boss fights. Ornstein & Smough has to be one of the most difficult yet fun boss fights I have ever played. I love how Ornstein keeps constant pressure on you while trying to drive you into the tank Smough. Those two perfectly complement each other and it's a challenge to take them down.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I couldn't get into it. The combat was slow and sluggish and certain areas (hallways) were just a pain in the ass simply because of how they made the swinging physics. I went from thousands of hours on Demon's Souls to maybe 30 hours in Dark Souls and haven't played another Souls game since.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I couldn't get into it. The combat was slow and sluggish and certain areas (hallways) were just a pain in the ass simply because of how they made the swinging physics. I went from thousands of hours on Demon's Souls to maybe 30 hours in Dark Souls and haven't played another Souls game since.
Hope its ok I poke you about this.
So if you are a guy who is into either very fast pased fps'es (think doom or pubg) OR extremely story driven titles (like ME series minus andromeda) .. Is Dark Souls for me? (I have a tendency to throw a title in the corner and never look at it again if there is a mechanic that annoys me too much.)

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
What was great about it?
Story != cinematic cut-scenes and exposition. It's not repetitive. Yes some areas are of lower quality than others because of development-related issues, but no two areas are the same.

It's great because it combines gameplay mechanics, storytelling, and atmosphere in a unique way.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
That's that first time I've come across somebody who doesn't like Dark Souls but played the hell out of Demon's Souls.

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
Story != cinematic cut-scenes and exposition. It's not repetitive. Yes some areas are of lower quality than others because of development-related issues, but no two areas are the same.

It's great because it combines gameplay mechanics, storytelling, and atmosphere in a unique way.
It's just Ghouls n Goblins in 3D.

Hory mory

Jan 27, 2018
Clearly you've no idea what you're talking about.
But I do. Like I said it's a dungeon crawler. No narrative, no NPCs, no dialogues, etc.. you just hack n slash through minions then defeat the boss, and rinse repeat till you finish the game. That's exactly what ghouls n goblins was. The fact these games were both made by japanese companies is no coincidence as japanese game developers tend to treat gaming as a kids' pastime that must revolve around the same game concepts of the old Nintendo Entertainment System (which was geared solely towards infants). This is in contrast to Western game developers who attempt to make their games a more deep and immersive experience that is suitable for all ages.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
RPCS3 can play Demon's Souls in 4k allegedly.

I personally haven't had a lot of luck getting it run well with a Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 (though a lot of other games run great on RPCS3 for me and the cpu tears through CEMU/PCSX2/Dolphin/etc). But I didn't spend much time with it since I have a PS3 and a physical copy of the game. It's a really cool game but I think Dark Souls 1 was a major improvement. Demon's Souls has the atmosphere and some really cool levels but it doesn't have those kind of epic boss fights you see in Dark Souls. Tower Knight in Demon's Souls is really impressive to see, but it's not a particularly interesting fight tactically. Not anywhere close to as fun of a fight as Ornstein & Smough in Dark Souls or Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne.

I tried this out and it was okayish on my system, but still plenty of big frame drops and the game crashed pretty regularly. Threw in the towel and got a used ps3 and copy of the game to play it properly.

I've read they've worked out some more bugs with it and people do play through the game, but it's a pretty erratic experience.