Dark Souls 1 Remaster coming to PC May 25th (Also PS4, XBONE, Switch)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hope its ok I poke you about this.
The combat was slow and sluggish in comparison to Demon's Souls. I should have specified that.

As far as the rest, if you enjoy punishing action games, you should give Dark Souls a shot.

That's that first time I've come across somebody who doesn't like Dark Souls but played the hell out of Demon's Souls.
There were a lot of people from the Demon's Souls forums who never made it through Dark Souls. We were all hyped about the game, but when it came time to play, quite a few people went back because it just felt like a minor downgrade in a lot of aspects. I went from doing rolling backstabs in PvP and minimal playthroughs in Demon's Souls to getting destroyed by the starting skeletons in Dark Souls.

Reactions: cytg111

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
As for story, the game does lack narrative and direction. There's very little in the way of a plot line or "why" we are doing whatever we are doing. That's just how From Software makes their games...they don't really build around a narrative with their games. I don't care for their games myself and that's just one of the reasons.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
But I do. Like I said it's a dungeon crawler. No narrative, no NPCs, no dialogues, etc.. you just hack n slash through minions then defeat the boss, and rinse repeat till you finish the game. That's exactly what ghouls n goblins was. The fact these games were both made by japanese companies is no coincidence as japanese game developers tend to treat gaming as a kids' pastime that must revolve around the same game concepts of the old Nintendo Entertainment System (which was geared solely towards infants). This is in contrast to Western game developers who attempt to make their games a more deep and immersive experience that is suitable for all ages.
Wow you're wrong on so many counts. You're completely off the mark on what Dark Souls has to offer.

You also have a seriously outdated view on what Japanese developers have been making since the NES days. It seems like you haven't looked past Mario.

Find me a Western developer whose adaptation of Lovecraft into a video game comes remotely close to that of Bloodborne.

You're seriously out of the loop with how Japanese game development has evolved over the years.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
There were a lot of people from the Demon's Souls forums who never made it through Dark Souls. We were all hyped about the game, but when it came time to play, quite a few people went back because it just felt like a minor downgrade in a lot of aspects. I went from doing rolling backstabs in PvP and minimal playthroughs in Demon's Souls to getting destroyed by the starting skeletons in Dark Souls.
Well, you aren't supposed to go down there on your first playthrough. The Souls games make it pretty clear in guiding you on where you should go - which is that if you're getting pwned then you should come back later.

What you did was essentially like going to Stonefang first instead of Boletarian castle in Demon's Souls on your first run.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I tried this out and it was okayish on my system, but still plenty of big frame drops and the game crashed pretty regularly. Threw in the towel and got a used ps3 and copy of the game to play it properly.

I've read they've worked out some more bugs with it and people do play through the game, but it's a pretty erratic experience.

Demon's Souls was the sole reason I bought a PS3 also, though it was a year ago back when the game was still a huge mess for everyone on RPCS3.