Compilation: Should this person be allowed to own a gun?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Bottom of the image his own words “here’s what I think about your diversity you fucking losers”
I propose a mandatory fully nude balls out inspection of tattoos before a gun purchase. Who else agrees?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Bottom of the image his own words “here’s what I think about your diversity you fucking losers”
I propose a mandatory fully nude balls out inspection of tattoos before a gun purchase. Who else agrees?
Fox News and Republican propaganda leads to murder. I think that's why they are making gun access easier.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
I’m at the point where I believe news shows should violate their ethics agreement and start showing images of the bodies after these shootings. I agree it will make life more difficult for the loved ones and survivors going forward, it will also light a fire under the ass of the zero gun control courts & legislators. Imagine some turd defending why ARs can’t be regulated when we have all seen a picture of a child with their face missing.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I’m at the point where I believe news shows should violate their ethics agreement and start showing images of the bodies after these shootings. I agree it will make life more difficult for the loved ones and survivors going forward, it will also light a fire under the ass of the zero gun control courts & legislators. Imagine some turd defending why ARs can’t be regulated when we have all seen a picture of a child with their face missing.

Completely agree. Although I'd prefer that they get family consent when possible.

Said the same thing about COVID ICUs. Let the public see what being on ECMO looks like. Then a mask doesn't seem so fucking inconvenient.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was hoping a family would step up to the plate ala Emmitt Till. Putting that on the air without the family's permission I fear would backfire big time.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Clerk was obviously behind bulletproof glass/poly. Using the other customers as leverage to get the clerk to open the door...wow. I find it odd that he pleaded not guilty, but he's obviously not a bright one. All that over less than $4 of goods, because his card wouldn't work.

Hope he's convicted and gets life.

• Wow
Reactions: pmv

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
About to have an extremely long list of people who shouldn't own firearms:

18- to 20-year-olds can’t be barred from buying handguns, judge rules

/
How soon before some 15-18 year olds bring a suit to be able to buy handguns that some Trump appointed judge allows.

Scalia's writing in the Heller case should allow room to ban the purchase and ownership of an AR style weapon until the age of 30. In it he said 2A does not preclude regulation of weapons types.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Clerk was obviously behind bulletproof glass/poly. Using the other customers as leverage to get the clerk to open the door...wow. I find it odd that he pleaded not guilty, but he's obviously not a bright one. All that over less than $4 of goods, because his card wouldn't work.

Hope he's convicted and gets life.
Fuck that clerk as well! You don't get to lock innocent bystanders up because one guy tries to steal $4 worth of stuff. And you definitely don't get to put them in that sort of danger!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Fuck that clerk as well! You don't get to lock innocent bystanders up because one guy tries to steal $4 worth of stuff. And you definitely don't get to put them in that sort of danger!

Have to admit that didn't occur to me when I first read the story, but yeah, that's a good point. Perhaps it never occurred to the clerk that the guy would respond like this, and maybe the guy started shooting before he had time to react (to the spoken threat)?

One would think maybe something like this would prompt a reconsideration of the whole concept of having doors that the clerk can lock remotely in such stores.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I've seen stations like this, that are basically built like a cage. Bulletproof window plates around the clerk, bars on windows, and lockable reinforced door. The lockable door is to prevent robbers from leaving until the police arrive.

It isn't to keep somebody inside for $4 of goods. Report it and be done with it. The clerk got people killed with their overreaction to the situation.

I can't help but think that he didn't know the guy was armed, and locked the door thinking that the guy would cough up the $4 if he couldn't leave.

The clerk didn't do the shooting, but that was obviously the last straw for the idiot who did. It might have been prevented, but that shooter is a loose cannon so he might've killed people elsewhere if not here.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Have to admit that didn't occur to me when I first read the story, but yeah, that's a good point. Perhaps it never occurred to the clerk that the guy would respond like this, and maybe the guy started shooting before he had time to react (to the spoken threat)?

One would think maybe something like this would prompt a reconsideration of the whole concept of having doors that the clerk can lock remotely in such stores.
Tbh I'd be pissed off if someone locked me in because someone else shoplifted even if they weren't violent!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Tbh I'd be pissed off if someone locked me in because someone else shoplifted even if they weren't violent!

Reminds me of the teacher who used to give us detentions as a collective if any child in the class misbehaved. At least nobody pulled out a gun though. (Damn, decades on I _still_ feel annoyed about that.)

Seriously, I'm surprised the family of the victim didn't sue the shop.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For the sake of latest data here are the top 10 states with the most gun deaths per capita.

1. Alaska - 23.0 per 100,000 people
  2. Alabama - 21.4 per 100,000 people
  3. Louisiana - 21.2 per 100,000 people
  4. Mississippi - 19.8 per 100,000 people
  5. Oklahoma - 19.6 per 100,000 people
  6. Montana - 19.0 per 100,000 people
  7. Missouri - 18.8 per 100,000 people
  8. New Mexico - 18.2 per 100,000 people
  9. Arkansas - 17.7 per 100,000 people
  10. South Carolina - 17.7 per 100,000 people