Colin Powell died of covid complications

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Sad news. I didn't like how he got used by Cheney and Rumsfeld, but I always respected Powell and considered him a worthy leader.

No way for an old lion to go out, should have been Cheney. RIP sir, and thank you for your service.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
For those that won't read the article: "The statement said that he had been fully vaccinated against Covid."

Reactions: Ken g6

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Cheney played him like a fiddle, even getting him to display the bogus evidence. Moving WMDs around so they couldn't be found. An honorable man, but misguided. Let Cheney and Bush eat some yellow cake.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh man Fox News and similar dirtbag propaganda orgs going to head all in on this one as proof vaccines don't work.
Unfortunately those evil right wingers will pounce on these talking points before more details can be flushed out.

It says "complications" resulting from COVID. We need more information

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If there was ever a true life Greek tragic hero it was Colin Powell. From honored general to disgraced political hack, Colin Powell had a choice and he chose to sign onto Team Evil.
and that same team evil threatened to release medical info about his wife, causing him to abort any considerations for a Presidential run.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and Ken g6

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
84 - you can wake up dead at 84

Please excuse me, but I'm on a rant this morning after a white "bougie" couple let their off-leash (illegal here) dog use my yard as a toilet....again.

1. Powell was 84, had prostate cancer and other health issues. COVID may have been the last straw, but claiming he died of COVID is rather misleading (though fashionable nowadays I suppose).

2. COVID sensationalism is getting irritating like many of the white "bougie" movements (E.G. missing white girl syndrome). Real people don't have time to worry or sensationalize things over which they have minimal control. Get vaccinated, get off your ass and get healthy. Problem solved. If you want more excitement in your life, join the fire department or be an EMT.

3. Also on my list this morning are climate-change-cultists who talk-talk-talk a lot about climate change, while leasing a new car every three years, or fake Vegans that have obligate carnivores as pets, or that use palm oil.

People are losing their collective shit about things that are virtually impossible for them to act on, whole at the same time 100 percent neglecting what they CAN do to make their world a better place.

-STOP letting your dog shit in my yard
-Stop letting your kids act like monkeys in a restaurant
-Be nice to your goddamned waiter
-use your goddamned turn-signals when changing lanes
-visit your motherfucking grandma!
-STOP blaming others for you being a fat fuck. You earned it...now own it!
-Turn down your shitty music in the car. Nobody gives a fuck that you have a car stereo (you also likely use cologne, wear jewelry and spend too much on haircuts as well)

OH! AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Apparently Powell was fighting cancer and was immune compromised so as an immune compromised 84 year old this is unfortunately not a terribly surprising result.

You beat me to the punch by seconds! I'm too slow (still fuming about the neighbors I suppose)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Apparently Powell was fighting cancer and was immune compromised so as an immune compromised 84 year old this is unfortunately not a terribly surprising result.
Yes, people in that situation can die of a cold.

Dec 10, 2005
Powell was 84, had prostate cancer and other health issues. COVID may have been the last straw, but claiming he died of COVID is rather misleading (though fashionable nowadays I suppose).
If your other conditions are relatively well managed, it's not sensationalism to blame covid/covid complications as the cause of death.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If your other conditions are relatively well managed, it's not sensationalism to blame covid/covid complications are the cause of death.
I think it's valuable to remember that people often die of 'natural causes' often die of a lot of factors put together but I agree it's perfectly reasonable to say someone died of COVID when, absent COVID, they would almost certainly still be alive for at least a bit longer.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
From what I can glean the correct cause of death on his death certificate would be COVID-19 infection. It is not sensationalism to state that or to use his passing to reflect upon the pandemic, and it is something we can act on collectively to improve (vaccination, etc.). Public messaging here is very important.

Colin is someone I have a lot of respect for as a leader and general, though he made a lot of mistakes in the Bush administration. I'm not sure how much to peg on him at the moment.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hard to wake up dead... ;)

thatsthejoke.jpg

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
By all accounts a decent and honorable man. Unfortunately, his honor and decency were no match for the bureaucratic maneuvering and political infighting skills of Cheney and Rumsfeld who used his sterling reputation to help justify an unjustifiable war. And Powell chose to go along with it knowing that the intelligence was suspect.

I won’t condemn him for it, a number of otherwise reputable people tarnished themselves in the lead up to and execution of the Iraq War. But its an stain on his legacy.

RIP ...

Powell had multiple myeloma, according to reports. It is a type of blood cancer that hurts the body’s ability to fight infections. It's also rumored Powell had Parkinsons.

Reactions: hal2kilo

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
but you won't hear that on Fox tonight.

True enough! The usual talking heads will instill their brand of fear to titillate the audience , elicit gasps of wonderment and terror.....and garner ratings for their bosses, who will then spend it on upscale pleasures that I will likely never get the opportunity to know about...being not able to breathe the rarified air of which they are able to partake.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Unfortunately those evil right wingers will pounce on these talking points before more details can be flushed out.

It says "complications" resulting from COVID. We need more information
Actually, that is what all death certificates state when a person dies from COVID, as they just don't die from COVID, they die from what COVID does to the body and organs, such as pneumonia, heart and kidney failure, etc.