CIV: BE benchmarked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Wow, my friend with a 290 will probably smoke my 780 performance. Interesting... I'm too lazy to look up recent Civ5 benchmarks (after patches), but with current drivers it would be interesting to see how Civ5 and BE perform compared to each other. BE is looking more and more like a re-skin in-game. I'm seeing all the same menus and graphics/interface options, even down to how it will trigger the Win7 Aero bug and menu prompt as well as lacking the Borderless full screen options that all other games have now and the lack of that annoyed me greatly in Civ5.

Tattare

Mar 4, 2008
http://community.amd.com/community/...preme-in-sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth

NOTE: Gamers with Mantle-enabled AMD Radeon™ graphics cards or AMD APUs must have AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.2 Beta (or newer) installed in their system. The game will allow users to select Mantle at runtime. - See more at: http://community.amd.com/community/...ivilization-beyond-earth#sthash.Om0fJU6C.dpuf

still not released :/ 4 mins till game goes live

edit: Games live im playing @ 3240x1920 crossfire & eyefinity. 14.9 drivers on two 7970's getting artifacts.

2048x1213.resizedimage

edit2: after a game restart havent had any artifacts. Games running smooth at 60fps with fraps max setting dx11.

Last edited:

Rickyyy369

Apr 21, 2012
Playing on 1 7970 with 14.9.1 beta, didn't notice any artifacting. I get a steady 60fps on max settings using Mantle or DX11 so I cant tell much of an improvement in-game, but I noticed that on DX11 my CPU only gets up to around 80% max usage, but with Mantle it pegs all 8 cores at 100% from time to time. I wonder if this greater CPU usage translates to lower turn times. Im only up to around turn 100 so its hard to tell.

But I've never seen any game use my CPU like that ever.

Feb 19, 2009
From PCPer, computerbase.de and a few others, it definitely seems like Mantle boost R290X performance massively.

But on AT, the boost was weak, is it due to them using reference R290X that runs hot, loud and throttling? Other sites use 1ghz custom models or 1050mhz models that maintain its clock rate & run cooler.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...mance-Maxwell-vs-Hawaii-DX11-vs-Mantle/2560x1

be-25-fps.png

That is completely contrary to AT's results, with R290X in Mantle a clear winner in average FPS and massively in min FPS, as well as smoother in frame latency.

Clearly Mantle is working great and now I understand the hype from the Firaxis engineers... but reading AT's results, I was pretty underwhelmed.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Those Mantle minimums are really good. If that's as low as it goes during a heavy late game scene then Mantle doesn't even have dips, it's just smooth all the time.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
CPU overhead testing at computerbase, comparing AMD mantle, AMD DX11 and NV DX11 across multiple CPUs:

ttp://cdn.overclock.net/8/84/849fd5cd_CPUoverhead.PNG

I think I remember reading that AMD's DX11 CPU overhead being worse was just Fud NV marketing...

very impressive gains for AMD users with slow CPUs,
3.5GHz dual core d3d = 64FPS, Mantle = 106FPS

but, Nvidia d3d = 94FPS

that's 290x vs 980 so the GPU speed difference shouldn't be to significant, there is something quite wrong with DX performance here with AMD, but maybe they simply didn't bother much with driver optimizations specifically for this game outside of Mantle, while Nvidia optimized heavily (for d3d)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
From PCPer, computerbase.de and a few others, it definitely seems like Mantle boost R290X performance massively.

But on AT, the boost was weak, is it due to them using reference R290X that runs hot, loud and throttling? Other sites use 1ghz custom models or 1050mhz models that maintain its clock rate & run cooler.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...mance-Maxwell-vs-Hawaii-DX11-vs-Mantle/2560x1

be-25-fps.png

That is completely contrary to AT's results, with R290X in Mantle a clear winner in average FPS and massively in min FPS, as well as smoother in frame latency.

Clearly Mantle is working great and now I understand the hype from the Firaxis engineers... but reading AT's results, I was pretty underwhelmed.

So the $350 card is beating the $550 card due to Mantle. Isn't this the 1st game that didn't have Mantle added after the fact? I think this speaks volumes to Mantle's potential going forward.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Look at the min frames - that is crazy good

50.4 vs 38.3

that is crazy seeing the R9 290x is a year old !

Somebody needs to test time between turns on a giant map at turn 150 or something on a load of cpus

Feb 19, 2009
So the $350 card is beating the $550 card due to Mantle. Isn't this the 1st game that didn't have Mantle added after the fact? I think this speaks volumes to Mantle's potential going forward.

To be fair, BF4 did develop with Mantle in mind, in parallel and it does work great in MP where its cpu limited.

NV did always have good performance in Civ 5 due to Dx11 multi-threading. But definitely their dx11 drivers have gained a good boost in CPU overhead reduction in their update after Mantle was out.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
civbe_cpu_860k.png

http://pclab.pl/art59998-18.html

Hopefully new AMD cards dont need a application patch to work with Mantle...

Dont even link that joke of a site...

Their dataz is wrong:p

I mean.. really, they can't even fab their results and hide the fact.

GPU test 1080p Vanguard (236 turn) 290X - 76,2 FPS - with i7 4770@4.5
CPU test 290X Vanguard (236 turn): i7 4770 OC @4.5 - 82,9 FPS

GTX970 gains 30% (108 vs 140) more FPS from who knows where...

This is how bad they are.If you tweak your results, do so less obvious...

Feb 19, 2009
http://community.amd.com/community/...preme-in-sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth

I found this interesting:

As you can probably surmise, SFR requires high parallelization, efficient inter-GPU communication, and reliable delivery of slices to the master GPU. AMD Radeon™ graphics cards running Mantle are uniquely equipped to meet those requirements.

NOTE: Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ presently supports a maximum of two graphics cards. To try mGPU on Mantle for yourself, navigate to %homepath%\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\ in "My Computer." Open the GraphicsSettings.ini file and set "Enable MGPU=1".

====

Why is it 0 by default? o_O

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

R9 290X is now $300 and 290 drops to $250-275 regularly. Having said that 980 was a poor value even without 290 cards due to the 970. The scaling 290X produces over my 7970ghz is impressive in Ryse: Son of Rome and this game, which goes to show most games don't optimize well enough for GCN. Now that AMD has already doubled the ROPs in Hawaii, I am hoping 390X they focus on adding more stream processors instead, say 60 CUs or 3840 SPs. That card would nearly double mine in performance and should be competitive with GM200. For that reason if AMD is waiting for 20nm, I think that's a smart decision. Hopefully more games take advantage of Mantle like CIV: BE.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I wonder how to Benchmark Civ Beyond earth, I can't find the built-in benchmark. Also, Mantle will not work until 14.9.2 betas I suppose because when I try to start "CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe" it says:

105uwra.jpg

(I hope my report won't start any flame wars again because it's so easy to bash when someone encounter's an issue, I report this to share, not to fight)

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
I wonder how to Benchmark Civ Beyond earth, I can't find the built-in benchmark. Also, Mantle will not work until 14.9.2 betas I suppose because when I try to start "CivilizationBe_Mantle.exe" it says:

105uwra.jpg

(I hope my report won't start any flame wars again because it's so easy to bash when someone encounter's an issue, I report this to share, not to fight)

Have you done this ?

Open the GraphicsSettings.ini file and set "Enable MGPU=1

Because you need to for mantle to work

Feb 19, 2009
Well I have Civ now but no 14.9.2 drivers to enjoy it.. surely they could have coordinated the release better. Grr

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Have you done this ?

Open the GraphicsSettings.ini file and set "Enable MGPU=1

Because you need to for mantle to work

Unlike Anandtech reviewer, it is the first thing I did in the .ini file.

Reviewers got 14.9.2 to test with because I guess it brings Mantle support to CIv: Beyond earth. Maybe they sent the drivers to reviewer to test them beforehand

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
These benchmarks do kind of make it seem like Mantle is just AMD's equivalent of DX11 multithreading. Depending on which one is more widely supported, I'd rather have that vendor's card(s).

Meekers

Aug 4, 2012
Well I have Civ now but no 14.9.2 drivers to enjoy it.. surely they could have coordinated the release better. Grr

To be fair one should not touch a civ game for about 6 months. They are always terrible at release and need a few patches to hit their stride.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
To be fair one should not touch a civ game for about 6 months. They are always terrible at release and need a few patches to hit their stride.

DirectX 11 is perfect for me in the game, I'm pretty sure it is the same for Nvidia.

These benchmarks do kind of make it seem like Mantle is just AMD's equivalent of DX11 multithreading. Depending on which one is more widely supported, I'd rather have that vendor's card(s).

Seems to me that you are comparing the R9 290x that is 1 year old to the brand new GTX 980. Obviously the GTX 980 DirectX will perform much better than the R9 290x.

I wonder if people will compare the GTX 1080 DirectX to the HD 7970 DirectX 11 next year and say that Nvidia DirectX is better.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Ha? nVidia cards are 50% faster than AMD with DX.
And right now SFR is not really working so you can either use DX with Crossfire support and be 33% slower or using Mantle with nearly no improvement.