Cheney Pushes For Military Action Against Iran Before End Of Term

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Looks like the neo-con movement really does want to bankrupt America morally, monetarily, and in casualties.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Iran has always scared me.
I remember watching a history channel program about past wars that involved Iran.

The one that scared me most is the conflict with iraq where iran sent its people against iraq without any weapons.

The strategy was "If we send enough of our people at them, the iraq soldiers will eventually run out of ammunition."

So the 11 million man army didnt work out so well? Imagine that...

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: Aimster
As long as U.S troops are inside Iraq, Iran can bitch slap U.S troops right back.

So no war as long as the U.S is inside Iraq.

Are you sure about that? Do you understand the world of hurt several carrier groups could inflict on an army that has absolutely nothing to defend against them?

The only way for U.S troops to end missile attacks would be to invade

Again, I would have to disagree there. Our Navy/Air Force has more than enough capability to completely shut-down a second-rate military (which is what Iran is) from missile launches over short period of time. Sure Iran may be able to fire missiles off, but as soon as they launch, they would give away their position and would be anihilated before they could count to 10.

**edit**

And even if Iran is able to fire some missiles before their launch areas are inevitably destroyed, we have the technology to knock out most, if not all, incoming missiles.

I'm sorry,

but Israel's air force beats the living crap out of whatever air force is in the Middle East by the U.S right now.

Israel failed to stop Hezbollah missiles from launching and this was after thousands of bombs were dropped all over Southern Lebanon.

The U.S has no proven missile defense system. It couldn't even knock out Iraqi made crap missiles during the most recent invasion of Iraq.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
As long as U.S troops are inside Iraq, Iran can bitch slap U.S troops right back.

Are you sure about that? Do you understand the world of hurt several carrier groups could inflict on an army that has absolutely nothing to defend against them?

What are carrier groups going to do to Iran?

Iran has air defense systems that can target U.S aircraft that are not stealth and an air campaign is pointless. They also have hundreds if not thousands of drones. They will just send those drones in to Iraq and play hit and run. U.S will play the same game back.

Iran will just launch hundreds of rockets into the green zone on a daily basis. U.S will respond with air strikes.

Iran is not like Iraq. The military is scattered. The populated cities are greatly different from the cities of Iraq. Compare Baghdad to Tehran. It is a completely different scenario.

The only way for U.S troops to end missile attacks would be to invade and they would never make it to Tehran.

Guess you never heard of SeaRam, then there's the A-A weapons launched by plane, ship, and personal.

I guess you also missed that even if Iran has AA that can target non-stealth, they can't target stealth, which will kill the AA pretty quikcly.

Wow, hundreds, if not thousands of drones. Are these the ones that supposedly have offenseive capabilities but nothing proven? Yeah, they're going to do a lot of damange...please.

As far as launching missiles into the Green Zone, that'd be a massive mistake. A limited urban war with insurgents that do not have domestic infrastructure to target is completely different from a foreign-state war which has a lot of infrastructure and concentrated leadership. Iran wouldn't know what the hell hit them if they wanted do try and attack us directly instead of through their insurgency proxy.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Iran has always scared me.
I remember watching a history channel program about past wars that involved Iran.

The one that scared me most is the conflict with iraq where iran sent its people against iraq without any weapons.

The strategy was "If we send enough of our people at them, the iraq soldiers will eventually run out of ammunition."

So the 11 million man army didnt work out so well? Imagine that...

Iran had no weapons. They ran out and it took time for Iran to find a supplier. Everything they had was 100% U.S made.
They had no choice but to die for their nation.

It would be like the Arabs invading Israel and the Israelis having no weapons. You can sit and watch while the Arabs come to murder you and your children or you can go out fighting even if it is just with your fists.

The good thing about Israel is they defeated the Arab air force. The Arabs had thousands of tanks and troops all ready to fight but without an air force they decided the war was lost and went home.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Nobody in their right mind thinks Iran can win a straight military conflict with the US. Of course we would obliterate them, all without one soldier stepping on their soil.

The problem is that they share borders with Afghanistan and Iraq. If you think losing 100 soldiers a month is bad, wait until Iran fully mobilizes bodies and weapons across two leaking borders. It'll be a fireworks show every day of the year, and we can't do a thing to stop it (our military is worthless in quelling urban combat situations, as they have proven in Iraq over the last 4 years).

Two secondary side effects will be: 1) a draft, because current troop levels would be quickly overwhelmed trying to deal with the increase in violence in Afghanistan and Iraq and 2) soaring gas prices ($4-$5 gallon) as Iran bottlenecks the Strait Of Hormuz and causes worldwide oil speculation to go through the roof.

Just for kicks, does anyone remember John Titor? You might think the story is complete bullsh1t, but if this war with Iran comes to pass, he'll be right on the mark once again.

Titor also claimed he had been, for a few months, trying to alert anyone that would listen about...the possibility of civil war in the United States that would begin with rising civil unrest in the year 2004. However Titor did state that all-out civil war would not occur until 2008.

Maybe he was just someone on "the inside" who came up with a clever guise to leak the truth. When Iraq started going to sh1t in 2004, that is when the civil unrest in our country began; if we invade Iran before the end of Bush's term in 2008, will our populace rise up in revolution? Some of his other predictions are interesting as well; Russia attacking Europe in 2015...perhaps foreshadowing where this missile shield and weapons treaty crisis is heading.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

What are carrier groups going to do to Iran?

Iran has air defense systems that can target U.S aircraft that are not stealth and an air campaign is pointless. They also have hundreds if not thousands of drones. They will just send those drones in to Iraq and play hit and run. U.S will play the same game back.

Iran will just launch hundreds of rockets into the green zone on a daily basis. U.S will respond with air strikes.

Iran is not like Iraq. The military is scattered. The populated cities are greatly different from the cities of Iraq. Compare Baghdad to Tehran. It is a completely different scenario.

The only way for U.S troops to end missile attacks would be to invade and they would never make it to Tehran.

Guess you never heard of SeaRam, then there's the A-A weapons launched by plane, ship, and personal.

I guess you also missed that even if Iran has AA that can target non-stealth, they can't target stealth, which will kill the AA pretty quikcly.

Wow, hundreds, if not thousands of drones. Are these the ones that supposedly have offenseive capabilities but nothing proven? Yeah, they're going to do a lot of damange...please.

As far as launching missiles into the Green Zone, that'd be a massive mistake. A limited urban war with insurgents that do not have domestic infrastructure to target is completely different from a foreign-state war which has a lot of infrastructure and concentrated leadership. Iran wouldn't know what the hell hit them if they wanted do try and attack us directly instead of through their insurgency proxy.

Not proven? Iran sent a drone over a U.S carrier and took a video of it for 5 minutes and went back home. Proves the stealth capability of the drones that they say are "stealth".

Massive mistake? If Iran is being attacked, launching missiles at the green zone is by no means a massive mistake. U.S started the war. Not Iran.

There would be no insurgency if the U.S invaded Iran. It would consist of 70 million people against 100,000-500,000 U.S troops.
Everyone would be an "insurgent". In Iraq nobody fought and watched as the U.S came into their nation.

If the U.S attacks Iran it is not a proxy war. It would be a direct war everything on the table. Right now U.S can support terrorist groups against Iran and Iran can do the same to U.S and their allies. That is not a war. That is a bunch of b.s by the leaders of both nations.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

Again, I would have to disagree there. Our Navy/Air Force has more than enough capability to completely shut-down a second-rate military (which is what Iran is) from missile launches over short period of time. Sure Iran may be able to fire missiles off, but as soon as they launch, they would give away their position and would be anihilated before they could count to 10.

**edit**

And even if Iran is able to fire some missiles before their launch areas are inevitably destroyed, we have the technology to knock out most, if not all, incoming missiles.

I'm sorry,

but Israel's air force beats the living crap out of whatever air force is in the Middle East by the U.S right now.

Israel failed to stop Hezbollah missiles from launching and this was after thousands of bombs were dropped all over Southern Lebanon.

The U.S has no proven missile defense system. It couldn't even knock out Iraqi made crap missiles during the most recent invasion of Iraq.

Ok, the IAF cant beat the living crap out of the US air force. Not only do they use OLDER MODEL american jets, but they do not have as many as the US does. Also their bombers are no where near the capabilities of US bomer aircraft. Yes, the IAF is a damn good air force, but much of the reason why it LOOKS better than it is...well they fight againt complete turd-like muslim air forces. I look like a good basketball player if I play against an 8 year old.

No proven missile defense system? Again, you are incorrect.

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

THAAD

Coming to the US military in '08

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Not proven? Iran sent a drone over a U.S carrier and took a video of it for 5 minutes and went back home. Proves the stealth capability of the drones that they say are "stealth".

Massive mistake? If Iran is being attacked, launching missiles at the green zone is by no means a massive mistake. U.S started the war. Not Iran.

There would be no insurgency if the U.S invaded Iran. It would consist of 70 million people against 100,000-500,000 U.S troops.
Everyone would be an "insurgent". In Iraq nobody fought and watched as the U.S came into their nation.

If the U.S attacks Iran it is not a proxy war. It would be a direct war everything on the table. Right now U.S can support terrorist groups against Iran and Iran can do the same to U.S and their allies. That is not a war. That is a bunch of b.s by the leaders of both nations.

1. That was 25-minutes of reported loiter time.
2. It is unsubstantiated. There is no proof at all that their story is true.
3. It wasn't during a full-alert war-time footing.
4. I highly doubt 70m people would fight, that's like saying everybody in Iraq fights against the US, stop with the stupidity.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: daveshel
I never understand how the US has survived this long as a nation...you guys have been blowing up the world since Eisenhower became president in the 1960's.

Eisenhower was president from 1952 to 1960.
I was pretty close for a Canuck. ;)

I suppose what I meant was that in the 60's the US started its agressive foreign policy. Eisenhower was actually pretty reasonable and helped win WW2 (which the US got dragged into anyway). It's more Vietnam-onward that I'm referring to.

HAHAHAHA. Sorry, the US has been a world aggressor since a couple years after becoming its own nation. We have always been an interfering imperialist wanna-be.
Um, ok, who did the US attack from say 1820 to 1940? What kinds of 'imperialism' did they engage in?

Indigenous people right here at "home"
Also i swear 'we' stole a crapload of land from Mexico.

May 16, 2000

**edit**

I'm sorry,

Ok, the IAF cant beat the living crap out of the US air force. Not only do they use OLDER MODEL american jets, but they do not have as many as the US does. Also their bombers are no where near the capabilities of US bomer aircraft. Yes, the IAF is a damn good air force, but much of the reason why it LOOKS better than it is...well they fight againt complete turd-like muslim air forces. I look like a good basketball player if I play against an 8 year old.

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/">THAAD]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/thaad/[/L
<b">
[L=Coming to the US military ~2008</a>[/quote]

I think it's fair to say they have the best pilots, hands down. They just don't have as much money to sink into the size and tech as we do. But man for man Israel wins easily.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Aimster: How would the Iraqis feel if "70 million" Iranians poured over the borders to "come and get" the US troops?

Your nationalism is overriding your logic.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

4. I highly doubt 70m people would fight, that's like saying everybody in Iraq fights against the US, stop with the stupidity.

The video is on the net. It is clearly taking videos of a U.S aircraft carrier.

Iranians love their nation. Even Iranians in Israel wave the Iranian flag and continue to teach their children Farsi. Iran is a very nationalistic nation. Their problems are their own. Once bombs drop and people with guns roll in the Iranians will unite.

What do you think happened when the Arabs invaded? Iranians stopped the revolution B.S and put all their attention on fighting the Arabs. That is why Iran is an Islamic Republic rather than the promised democracy.

If the Arabs invaded Israel, all Jews would fight. Even the Arab-Israelis would fight. It is not so far fetched to say Iran wouldn't do the same if the West decided to send in tanks.

Iraq is nowhere close to being as nationalistic as Iran. Ask any Iraq and they will tell you the same thing.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

**edit**

I'm sorry,

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/">THAAD]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/thaad/[/L
<b">

1) Israel's missile defense system > U.S missile defense system

2) Israel's air force in the M.E is far better than the U.S air force in the M.E.

What does the U.S have in the M.E? Israel has the same aircraft if not newer and better
F-16I I believe it is called. What version is the U.S using?

P

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

**edit**

I'm sorry,

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<b"><b">

I think it's fair to say they have the best pilots, hands down. They just don't have as much money to sink into the size and tech as we do. But man for man Israel wins easily.

wins easily? :roll: yeah right bud

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll tell you this: if we attack Iran I'm on their side. I will loudly applaud every casualty they inflict upon us. If they sink our ships I'll throw a party. If they bring the world together against us I'll weep with joy. This administration MUST be stopped cold, and if it takes the deaths of a million Americans to wake us up to that fact and keep idiots like this out of power then so be it.

Despite similar outcomes, there's a difference between fighting to bring down a corrupt system and cheering for the deaths of others. The former is noble, the latter is twisted.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize
Aimster: How would the Iraqis feel if "70 million" Iranians poured over the borders to "come and get" the US troops?

Your nationalism is overriding your logic.

I bet you they wouldn't do a damn thing just like they didn't do a damn thing when the U.S went into Iraq.

Iraqis love Iranians more than they love U.S. There is no reason for Iraqis to hate Iranians.

The only Iraqis who hate Iranians are the same Iraqis who hate the U.S. Mostly Sunni Arabs who were loyal to Saddam Hussein. They are the minority.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

I edited my post with links to missile defense BTW, this one has a busted link and I added another.

1) Israel's missile defense system > U.S missile defense system

show me proof that Israels missile defense system is better than ours.

2) Israel's air force in the M.E is far better than the U.S air force in the M.E.

Far better? If they largely use US made aircraft, and have less pilots, how are they better.

"The Israeli Air Force (IAF; Hebrew: ???? ????? ?????, Zroa HaAvir VeHa?alal, "Air and Space Division", commonly known as ??? ?????? Hel HaAvir) is the air force of the Israel Defense Forces. The current Commander in Chief is Aluf Elyezer Shkedy. It has approximately 1000 aircraft."

F-22

"The F-22 is claimed by several sources to be the world?s most effective air-superiority fighter. Air Marshal Angus Houston, chief of the Australian Defence Force, and former head of the Royal Australian Air Force, said in 2004 that the "F-22 will be the most outstanding fighter plane ever built."

Here is what Israel uses:

In the new millennium, the IAF bought the F-15I Ra'am (Thunder) and the F-16I Sufa (Storm)...variants of the F-15 and F-16 fighter jets.

Oh noes...newer and better my a$$.

May 16, 2000

**edit**

I'm sorry,

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<b"><b"><b"><b"><b">

*sigh* God I love debating with uneducated people. :cool:

"During one mock air battle between the Israeli and U.S. air forces over the Negev, Israeli pilots "shot down" 220 American fighter jets and lost just 20 of their own." Donna Rosenthal, The Israelis, p. 72.

This is typical kill ratio for the IAF. Israeli troops, rather ground, air, or special forces, are simply the best in the world (except MAYBE for the Vatican special service).

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'll tell you this: if we attack Iran I'm on their side. I will loudly applaud every casualty they inflict upon us. If they sink our ships I'll throw a party. If they bring the world together against us I'll weep with joy. This administration MUST be stopped cold, and if it takes the deaths of a million Americans to wake us up to that fact and keep idiots like this out of power then so be it.

Despite similar outcomes, there's a difference between fighting to bring down a corrupt system and cheering for the deaths of others. The former is noble, the latter is twisted.

If the latter is the ONLY way to get to the former, then so be it. If you have another option I'm all ears.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

The video is on the net. It is clearly taking videos of a U.S aircraft carrier.

Iranians love their nation. Even Iranians in Israel wave the Iranian flag and continue to teach their children Farsi. Iran is a very nationalistic nation. Their problems are their own. Once bombs drop and people with guns roll in the Iranians will unite.

What do you think happened when the Arabs invaded? Iranians stopped the revolution B.S and put all their attention on fighting the Arabs. That is why Iran is an Islamic Republic rather than the promised democracy.

If the Arabs invaded Israel, all Jews would fight. Even the Arab-Israelis would fight. It is not so far fetched to say Iran wouldn't do the same if the West decided to send in tanks.

Iraq is nowhere close to being as nationalistic as Iran. Ask any Iraq and they will tell you the same thing.

Again, not substandiated. There are no time-stamps, no images of the actual drone, no specifications, no images of the drone flying over the carrier...etc.

Hell, I can find pictures of the deck of a carrier and say that I was flying in a UFO over the Nimitz. I could even say that I was piloting a flying hotdog, while naked, and whacked off over the carrier, making the deck too slippery to launch aircraft. However, that doesn't mean it's true.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

**edit**

I'm sorry,

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b">

*sigh* God I love debating with uneducated people. :cool:

"During one mock air battle between the Israeli and U.S. air forces over the Negev, Israeli pilots "shot down" 220 American fighter jets and lost just 20 of their own." Donna Rosenthal, The Israelis, p. 72.

This is typical kill ratio for the IAF. Israeli troops, rather ground, air, or special forces, are simply the best in the world (except MAYBE for the Vatican special service).

When was this "mock air battle"? You did not provide a link. Also something tells me that this would not be a typical outcome, especially with our pilots being in F-22's.

Uneducated? :roll: You feel the need to start with personal insults now?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett

If the latter is the ONLY way to get to the former, then so be it. If you have another option I'm all ears.

I still fail to see why a sane person would cheer for the deaths of his fellow countrymen.