Cheney Pushes For Military Action Against Iran Before End Of Term

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985

I edited my post with links to missile defense BTW, this one has a busted link and I added another.

1) Israel's missile defense system > U.S missile defense system

show me proof that Israels missile defense system is better than ours.

2) Israel's air force in the M.E is far better than the U.S air force in the M.E.

Far better? If they largely use US made aircraft, and have less pilots, how are they better.

"The Israeli Air Force (IAF; Hebrew: ???? ????? ?????, Zroa HaAvir VeHa?alal, "Air and Space Division", commonly known as ??? ?????? Hel HaAvir) is the air force of the Israel Defense Forces. The current Commander in Chief is Aluf Elyezer Shkedy. It has approximately 1000 aircraft."

F-22

"The F-22 is claimed by several sources to be the world?s most effective air-superiority fighter. Air Marshal Angus Houston, chief of the Australian Defence Force, and former head of the Royal Australian Air Force, said in 2004 that the "F-22 will be the most outstanding fighter plane ever built."

Here is what Israel uses:

In the new millennium, the IAF bought the F-15I Ra'am (Thunder) and the F-16I Sufa (Storm)...variants of the F-15 and F-16 fighter jets.

Oh noes...newer and better my a$$.

Yes, Israel uses mostly U.S equipment.

They have off the top of my head 500 aircraft in the M.E that are very capable F-16s, etc.
How many aircraft does the U.S have in the M.E?

Plus what difference does it make what aircraft the U.S has? It cannot stop the flow of missiles coming from Iran.
That is like saying if Israel had F-22 it would have been able to stop the flow of missiles from Hezbollah

Israel has a better missile defense system than the U.S. Google it. It is an amazing system. It has been successful far more times than the U.S system.
They also have RPG shield for tanks that owns the U.S version as well.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: Aimster

Not proven? Iran sent a drone over a U.S carrier and took a video of it for 5 minutes and went back home. Proves the stealth capability of the drones that they say are "stealth".

Massive mistake? If Iran is being attacked, launching missiles at the green zone is by no means a massive mistake. U.S started the war. Not Iran.

There would be no insurgency if the U.S invaded Iran. It would consist of 70 million people against 100,000-500,000 U.S troops.
Everyone would be an "insurgent". In Iraq nobody fought and watched as the U.S came into their nation.

If the U.S attacks Iran it is not a proxy war. It would be a direct war everything on the table. Right now U.S can support terrorist groups against Iran and Iran can do the same to U.S and their allies. That is not a war. That is a bunch of b.s by the leaders of both nations.

1. That was 25-minutes of reported loiter time.
2. It is unsubstantiated. There is no proof at all that their story is true.
3. It wasn't during a full-alert war-time footing.
4. I highly doubt 70m people would fight, that's like saying everybody in Iraq fights against the US, stop with the stupidity.

The video is on the net. It is clearly taking videos of a U.S aircraft carrier.

Iranians love their nation. Even Iranians in Israel wave the Iranian flag and continue to teach their children Farsi. Iran is a very nationalistic nation. Their problems are their own. Once bombs drop and people with guns roll in the Iranians will unite.

What do you think happened when the Arabs invaded? Iranians stopped the revolution B.S and put all their attention on fighting the Arabs. That is why Iran is an Islamic Republic rather than the promised democracy.

If the Arabs invaded Israel, all Jews would fight. Even the Arab-Israelis would fight. It is not so far fetched to say Iran wouldn't do the same if the West decided to send in tanks.

Iraq is nowhere close to being as nationalistic as Iran. Ask any Iraq and they will tell you the same thing.

Again, not substandiated. There are no time-stamps, no images of the actual drone, no specifications, no images of the drone flying over the carrier...etc.

Hell, I can find pictures of the deck of a carrier and say that I was flying in a UFO over the Nimitz. I could even say that I was piloting a flying hotdog, while naked, and whacked off over the carrier, making the deck too slippery to launch aircraft. However, that doesn't mean it's true.

If it wasn't a drone what was it?

You are suggesting aircraft are allowed to circle above aircraft carriers. I do not think so.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
As long as U.S troops are inside Iraq, Iran can bitch slap U.S troops right back.

So no war as long as the U.S is inside Iraq.

Are you sure about that? Do you understand the world of hurt several carrier groups could inflict on an army that has absolutely nothing to defend against them?

The only way for U.S troops to end missile attacks would be to invade

Again, I would have to disagree there. Our Navy/Air Force has more than enough capability to completely shut-down a second-rate military (which is what Iran is) from missile launches over short period of time. Sure Iran may be able to fire missiles off, but as soon as they launch, they would give away their position and would be anihilated before they could count to 10.

**edit**

And even if Iran is able to fire some missiles before their launch areas are inevitably destroyed, we have the technology to knock out most, if not all, incoming missiles.

I'm sorry,

but Israel's air force beats the living crap out of whatever air force is in the Middle East by the U.S right now.

Israel failed to stop Hezbollah missiles from launching and this was after thousands of bombs were dropped all over Southern Lebanon.

The U.S has no proven missile defense system. It couldn't even knock out Iraqi made crap missiles during the most recent invasion of Iraq.

Ok, the IAF cant beat the living crap out of the US air force. Not only do they use OLDER MODEL american jets, but they do not have as many as the US does. Also their bombers are no where near the capabilities of US bomer aircraft. Yes, the IAF is a damn good air force, but much of the reason why it LOOKS better than it is...well they fight againt complete turd-like muslim air forces. I look like a good basketball player if I play against an 8 year old.

No proven missile defense system? Again, you are incorrect.

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/">THAAD]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/thaad/[/L
<b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b">
[L=Coming to the US military ~2008</a>[/quote]

I think it's fair to say they have the best pilots, hands down. They just don't have as much money to sink into the size and tech as we do. But man for man Israel wins easily.

wins easily? :roll: yeah right bud

*sigh* God I love debating with uneducated people. :cool:

"During one mock air battle between the Israeli and U.S. air forces over the Negev, Israeli pilots "shot down" 220 American fighter jets and lost just 20 of their own." Donna Rosenthal, The Israelis, p. 72.

This is typical kill ratio for the IAF. Israeli troops, rather ground, air, or special forces, are simply the best in the world (except MAYBE for the Vatican special service).

When was this "mock air battle"? You did not provide a link. Also something tells me that this would not be a typical outcome, especially with our pilots being in F-22's.

Uneducated? :roll: You feel the need to start with personal insults now?

It also depends on the handicaps. There have been several mock battles that US has participated in that eliminates certain advantages, such as AWACs coordination, buddy-coordination, certain aircraft abilities...etc. These are disabled in many mock battles to prove certain points for each side. However, removing pilots from their core training program and thrusting them into a position where they cannot use their greatest advantages *and* they are unfamiliar with the situation *and* are facing a very capable force in that situation will equate to a lopsided victory. However, the Iranian airforce isn't even close to the IAF, or the USAF even with both hands tied behind our backs.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

I edited my post with links to missile defense BTW, this one has a busted link and I added another.

1) Israel's missile defense system > U.S missile defense system

show me proof that Israels missile defense system is better than ours.

2) Israel's air force in the M.E is far better than the U.S air force in the M.E.

Far better? If they largely use US made aircraft, and have less pilots, how are they better.

"The Israeli Air Force (IAF; Hebrew: ???? ????? ?????, Zroa HaAvir VeHa?alal, "Air and Space Division", commonly known as ??? ?????? Hel HaAvir) is the air force of the Israel Defense Forces. The current Commander in Chief is Aluf Elyezer Shkedy. It has approximately 1000 aircraft."

F-22

"The F-22 is claimed by several sources to be the world?s most effective air-superiority fighter. Air Marshal Angus Houston, chief of the Australian Defence Force, and former head of the Royal Australian Air Force, said in 2004 that the "F-22 will be the most outstanding fighter plane ever built."

Here is what Israel uses:

In the new millennium, the IAF bought the F-15I Ra'am (Thunder) and the F-16I Sufa (Storm)...variants of the F-15 and F-16 fighter jets.

Oh noes...newer and better my a$$.

Yes, Israel uses mostly U.S equipment.

They have off the top of my head 500 aircraft in the M.E that are very capable F-16s, etc.
How many aircraft does the U.S have in the M.E?

Plus what difference does it make what aircraft the U.S has? It cannot stop the flow of missiles coming from Iran.
That is like saying if Israel had F-22 it would have been able to stop the flow of missiles from Hezbollah

Israel has a better missile defense system than the U.S. Google it. It is an amazing system. It has been successful far more times than the U.S system.
They also have RPG shield for tanks that owns the U.S version as well.

Because "googling it" will prove to me Israel has a better missile defense system? :roll:

And thats not even really the point, I have no doubt Israel has a good system. But you keep saying over and over that we cant "stop the flow is missiles coming from Iran". I provided 4 links, 3 of which have proven themselves in combat. I would like you to refer to that post and attempt to debunk them rather than keep posting the same ignorant crap.

Ex: You said that Iran has a missile capable of sinking a carrier. I linked the Aegis system, the most advanced anti-missile air defense system in any navy, where it talks about its capabilities. Instead of refuting it, you go on and on and on about how we cant stop their missiles.

**EDIT**

Im surpised to see you talking up the IDF so much, arnt you supposed to root against them?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Not proven? Iran sent a drone over a U.S carrier and took a video of it for 5 minutes and went back home. Proves the stealth capability of the drones that they say are "stealth".

Massive mistake? If Iran is being attacked, launching missiles at the green zone is by no means a massive mistake. U.S started the war. Not Iran.

There would be no insurgency if the U.S invaded Iran. It would consist of 70 million people against 100,000-500,000 U.S troops.
Everyone would be an "insurgent". In Iraq nobody fought and watched as the U.S came into their nation.

If the U.S attacks Iran it is not a proxy war. It would be a direct war everything on the table. Right now U.S can support terrorist groups against Iran and Iran can do the same to U.S and their allies. That is not a war. That is a bunch of b.s by the leaders of both nations.

1. That was 25-minutes of reported loiter time.
2. It is unsubstantiated. There is no proof at all that their story is true.
3. It wasn't during a full-alert war-time footing.
4. I highly doubt 70m people would fight, that's like saying everybody in Iraq fights against the US, stop with the stupidity.

The video is on the net. It is clearly taking videos of a U.S aircraft carrier.

Iranians love their nation. Even Iranians in Israel wave the Iranian flag and continue to teach their children Farsi. Iran is a very nationalistic nation. Their problems are their own. Once bombs drop and people with guns roll in the Iranians will unite.

What do you think happened when the Arabs invaded? Iranians stopped the revolution B.S and put all their attention on fighting the Arabs. That is why Iran is an Islamic Republic rather than the promised democracy.

If the Arabs invaded Israel, all Jews would fight. Even the Arab-Israelis would fight. It is not so far fetched to say Iran wouldn't do the same if the West decided to send in tanks.

Iraq is nowhere close to being as nationalistic as Iran. Ask any Iraq and they will tell you the same thing.

Again, not substandiated. There are no time-stamps, no images of the actual drone, no specifications, no images of the drone flying over the carrier...etc.

Hell, I can find pictures of the deck of a carrier and say that I was flying in a UFO over the Nimitz. I could even say that I was piloting a flying hotdog, while naked, and whacked off over the carrier, making the deck too slippery to launch aircraft. However, that doesn't mean it's true.

If it wasn't a drone what was it?

You are suggesting aircraft are allowed to circle above aircraft carriers. I do not think so.

Perhaps it was news footage from a widely available source? Perhaps it was a private plane? Perhaps, even if it was a drone, it was allowed to circle and was detected a long time before.

I guess you really have no idea about this type of stuff. Ever read about the Backfire bomber that buzzed the Nimitz (or was it Enterprise) a few times, so fast and low that it eventually caught a wingtip, after it buzzed on one run, and cartwheeled into the ocean?

This type of stuff happens every fekkin day. Heck, it was recently found that we were actually in a shooting war with the USSR in 1968 when they sunk the Scorpion, yet there was no actual full-scale war.

You seem to be so ingrained by the Iranian propaganda that you want to believe anything they say, without consideration to the opposite.

How plausible is it that a country like Iran could build a "stealthy" drone, that is superior to ours (since we can even detect ours), that can overfly an Aegis protected battlegroup (which can bounce radar signals off of the moon it has so much power), with undoubtedly overflying aircraft, and still be undetected?

Please, get your head out of your ass. Even if it is true it was probably seen and ignored because it was inconsequential. Besides, what are we going to do? Shoot it down?

May 16, 2000
As long as U.S troops are inside Iraq, Iran can bitch slap U.S troops right back.

Are you sure about that? Do you understand the world of hurt several carrier groups could inflict on an army that has absolutely nothing to defend against them?

Again, I would have to disagree there. Our Navy/Air Force has more than enough capability to completely shut-down a second-rate military (which is what Iran is) from missile launches over short period of time. Sure Iran may be able to fire missiles off, but as soon as they launch, they would give away their position and would be anihilated before they could count to 10.

**edit**

And even if Iran is able to fire some missiles before their launch areas are inevitably destroyed, we have the technology to knock out most, if not all, incoming missiles.

I'm sorry,

but Israel's air force beats the living crap out of whatever air force is in the Middle East by the U.S right now.

Israel failed to stop Hezbollah missiles from launching and this was after thousands of bombs were dropped all over Southern Lebanon.

The U.S has no proven missile defense system. It couldn't even knock out Iraqi made crap missiles during the most recent invasion of Iraq.

Ok, the IAF cant beat the living crap out of the US air force. Not only do they use OLDER MODEL american jets, but they do not have as many as the US does. Also their bombers are no where near the capabilities of US bomer aircraft. Yes, the IAF is a damn good air force, but much of the reason why it LOOKS better than it is...well they fight againt complete turd-like muslim air forces. I look like a good basketball player if I play against an 8 year old.

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/">THAAD]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/thaad/[/L
<b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b">

I think it's fair to say they have the best pilots, hands down. They just don't have as much money to sink into the size and tech as we do. But man for man Israel wins easily.

"During one mock air battle between the Israeli and U.S. air forces over the Negev, Israeli pilots "shot down" 220 American fighter jets and lost just 20 of their own." Donna Rosenthal, The Israelis, p. 72.

This is typical kill ratio for the IAF. Israeli troops, rather ground, air, or special forces, are simply the best in the world (except MAYBE for the Vatican special service).

When was this "mock air battle"? You did not provide a link. Also something tells me that this would not be a typical outcome, especially with our pilots being in F-22's.

That's because I grabbed the book off my shelf...you know, the one from my library assembled over the last four years obtaining my degree in history and political science. It was 1999 btw. :cool: I would also recommend "Israel's Best Defense: The First Full Story of the Israeli Air Force"by Eliezer Cohen. Good info and citations. I'd give you some but my copy is loaned out right now.

How about the six-day war? The Osirak reactor run? There are plenty of examples from history if you just google it.

And what I said was, their pilots are the best, not that they spent the most money on their air force. You can argue technological advantage but I don't believe you can argue pilot quality. It's simply a matter of need and practice...Israel has been at war since it began; training is mandatory, combat engagements constant. It hones you.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Iran is the same as Iraq and Afghanistan. The real battle only starts AFTER you win the war.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'll tell you this: if we attack Iran I'm on their side. I will loudly applaud every casualty they inflict upon us. If they sink our ships I'll throw a party. If they bring the world together against us I'll weep with joy. This administration MUST be stopped cold, and if it takes the deaths of a million Americans to wake us up to that fact and keep idiots like this out of power then so be it.

Despite similar outcomes, there's a difference between fighting to bring down a corrupt system and cheering for the deaths of others. The former is noble, the latter is twisted.

If the latter is the ONLY way to get to the former, then so be it. If you have another option I'm all ears.

I still fail to see why a sane person would cheer for the deaths of his fellow countrymen.

Do you play chess? Sometimes you must sacrifice to win the game. This is no game, it's borderline world war...talking about extinction of life type seriousness. I'd say that's worth any sacrifice to achieve.

Would I physically cheer literally? No, of course not. All death is abhorrent. However neither do I accept the doctrine of the soldiers being innocent of the crimes since they go along willingly. If the deaths of many Americans is the only way to get the administration out of power (and keep their ideology out of power in the near future) then it's a necessary evil.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

**edit**

I'm sorry,

AEGIS (as linked before)

Patriot

<b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b"><b">

That's because I grabbed the book off my shelf...you know, the one from my library assembled over the last four years obtaining my degree in history and political science. It was 1999 btw. :cool: I would also recommend "Israel's Best Defense: The First Full Story of the Israeli Air Force"by Eliezer Cohen. Good info and citations. I'd give you some but my copy is loaned out right now.

How about the six-day war? The Osirak reactor run? There are plenty of examples from history if you just google it.

And what I said was, their pilots are the best, not that they spent the most money on their air force. You can argue technological advantage but I don't believe you can argue pilot quality. It's simply a matter of need and practice...Israel has been at war since it began; training is mandatory, combat engagements constant. It hones you.

Im sorry, but a LOT has changed since 1999. Also, LegendKiller had a good response to your post as well. Anyway, I do not disagree that Israel has a good airforce. Could they beat our air-force 1 on 1? Maybe. Could they beat our air-force in a no-holds-barred engagement? Probably not. As you said, they dont have the money like we do to spend on our air force. Citing the six-day war doesnt prove anything except for the complete ineptitude of the muslim nations that decided it would be a good idea to attack Israel.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Im sorry, but for the last 1000 years sheer numbers of men does not translate into military victory. Im sure the quality and training of those "11 million" is complete crap, not to mention their outdated weaponry. A smaller US force would have no problem beating a massive army of ill-equipped and ill-trained militia. It would be like Mike Tyson fighting 20 five year olds...
Well, if you look at Iraq, the cheap guerilla tactics are killing a fair few Americans and de-stabilizing the country; in Iran it would be the same thing. Nothing would be accomplished and tons of money would be wasted on it.

That's the point of these wars...to make money. Look at Vietnam and Iraq. The whole point was to make as much money as possible while hundreds of thousands die. Rothchild said it best:"The best time to make money is when there is blood on the street."

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Narmer
Im sorry, but for the last 1000 years sheer numbers of men does not translate into military victory. Im sure the quality and training of those "11 million" is complete crap, not to mention their outdated weaponry. A smaller US force would have no problem beating a massive army of ill-equipped and ill-trained militia. It would be like Mike Tyson fighting 20 five year olds...
Well, if you look at Iraq, the cheap guerilla tactics are killing a fair few Americans and de-stabilizing the country; in Iran it would be the same thing. Nothing would be accomplished and tons of money would be wasted on it.

That's the point of these wars...to make money. Look at Vietnam and Iraq. The whole point was to make as much money as possible while hundreds of thousands die. Rothchild said it best:"The best time to make money is when there is blood on the street."

Please, that is just a stupid notion. I also like your re-contextualization of Rothschild's comment. It had nothing to do with war and everything to do with "buy low" stock investing.

Nice try though, A for retardation effort.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Narmer

Please, that is just a stupid notion. I also like your re-contextualization of Rothschild's comment. It had nothing to do with war and everything to do with "buy low" stock investing.

Nice try though, A for retardation effort.

Yeah, and you must've bought the Gulf of Tonkin and WMD lies, right?:laugh: Let me hint you on a little secret: The best time to make money is when there's a war going on. Government borrows heavily, unemployment goes down and everything is for sale. Fighting these limited wars for years is always good for the bottom line.

Here's another secret: some people are very good at double-talk. You can say one thing to one audience and many will interpret it differently. It's an efficient way to say different things to different people.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
There is no carrier defense system for the "carrier sinking" missile Iran has. They got it from Ukraine if I remember correctly or China. They mass produced their own.

AEGIS

The Navy's ship-borne Aegis system, deployed on cruisers and destroyers starting in the early 1980s, is designed to protect aircraft-carrier battle groups from missile attacks. But current and former officials say the Navy has no assurance Aegis, built by Lockheed Martin Corp., is capable of detecting, tracking and intercepting the Sizzler.

Sizzler

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
If you really believe that the Iranian military can stand up against the might of the US military, you are delusional. We'll see the most extensive bombing campaign in history. It will make shock and awe look like the 4th of July.

Iran is going to get pwned in the face.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
If you really believe that the Iranian military can stand up against the might of the US military, you are delusional. We'll see the most extensive bombing campaign in history.
Replace "Iranian" with "Iraqi", turn the clock back to 2003, and we're golden :laugh:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
By the way, this is super exciting. The increasing frequency of news stories is just like the buildup to our attack on Iraq. The pain train is comin', woo woo!

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
If you really believe that the Iranian military can stand up against the might of the US military, you are delusional. We'll see the most extensive bombing campaign in history. It will make shock and awe look like the 4th of July.

So killing tens of thousands of civilians is good in your eyes?
You are nothing but a fanatical wacko.

Iran will just launch tens of thousands of rockets all over Israel and Baghdad and cut off the supply of oil from the M.E.

Don't be one of the people crying about $15/gallon oil prices when it happens.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Iran will just launch tens of thousands of rockets all over Israel and Baghdad and cut off the supply of oil from the M.E.

I stand to profit substantially from further military engagements. I won't mind $15/gallon gasoline, but it'll never happen.

And all it'll cost is the lives a couple million Iranians.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

What does that make you?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

I stand to profit substantially from further military engagements. I won't mind $15/gallon gasoline, but it'll never happen.

And all it'll cost is the lives a couple million Iranians.

You're the biggest coward on ATOT.

You wish for America to go to war. You don't care for the consequences.

You won't enroll to fight. You just want to profit and you are happy about it.

You are a sick individual.

& $15/gallon will happen if Iran shuts off the flow of oil from the M.E. It clearly sounds as if you have no idea what I am even talking about.. so... continue to dream.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

What does that make you?

The term "enemy of the state" comes to mind.