Catalyst 13.1 Out Now (New 13.2 Beta Links 3,4&5)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I'm immediately blaming the drivers in this case because it *is the drivers*.

No, i'm not using displayport, i'm using DVI. I also spent near on three months troubleshooting this issue when I first built the PC when it was a known issue with the drivers at the time. The same thing happened on three different cards (two entirely separate MSI 7870 HAWK and a Gigabyte 7950), persisted through *three* complete format/reinstalls of windows, and went away completely the minute I installed 12.10. Yes, I tried the monitor with another PC, and it didn't do it. Yes, I tried another video card (a 5870) in the PC, and it didn't do it, nor does it do it using the ivy bridge I7's integrated graphics. Even the keyboard locks up, can't change the lights or the macro bays on my Sidewinder x4, but I *can* access shared folders over the network while its locked up. Yes, it still does it even if I use HDMI or VGA. Yes, it does it with two separate, known good PSUs. No, it's not easily reproducible, it'll hard lock one out of maybe 10 times the monitor turns itself off. System Sleep/Hibernate are both totally disabled, it is strictly the monitor "turn off after 15 minutes" setting in windows. Occasionally if I leave it sitting frozen long enough, it will throw a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD with error codes pointing to, you guessed it, the video card drivers.

I've been without this issue for months and months since installing 12.10. Not an hour after installing 13.1, it's back.

So yeah, maybe i'm not the one making unfounded assumptions about people here :(

Relax! I wasn't talking about you in particular. I was only commenting on the post I quoted.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
At least I'm not a hypocrite. You call me out for being condescending while doing the exact thing.

Just drop it. You are putting useless posts in what was an informative discussion thread.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Anyone notice increased IQ in BF3 with these? Things seem more clear to me for some reason.

It appears that the main focus of these drivers were BF3. Its so unbelievably smooth and the IQ is much better then my GTX 670 was.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Someone should do a comparison. These things demand documentation. It'd be really cool if they actually did improve IQ.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Just stuck my 7870 back in and installed 13.1. If it doesn't fix the flickering, oh well, I'll wait for drivers to fix it. On another note -- ooh, I like this renovated CCC!

Edit: And my laptop still doesn't recognize the installer package as containing a new display driver. It hasn't recognized new display drivers since 12.8. :(

Last edited:

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Just stuck my 7870 back in and installed 13.1. If it doesn't fix the flickering, oh well, I'll wait for drivers to fix it. On another note -- ooh, I like this renovated CCC!

Edit: And my laptop still doesn't recognize the installer package as containing a new display driver. It hasn't recognized new display drivers since 12.8. :(

There is a difference between the regular 13.1 installer and the mobility 13.1 installer. Are you using the regular installer everyone is linking or the one specifically for laptops?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
There is a difference between the regular 13.1 installer and the mobility 13.1 installer. Are you using the regular installer everyone is linking or the one specifically for laptops?

All the mobility installer does is detect your system, download the matching Catalyst driver package (same as the desktop), and run it. It just adds another (unnecessary) step to the process.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone notice increased IQ in BF3 with these? Things seem more clear to me for some reason.

I can't speak for BF3, but I CAN say that IQ is improved for DiRT 3, Skyrim (I can now have hi-res textures), rFactor 2, medieval 2: Total War. :D

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Is it a separate download? Driver versions 12.6 through 12.11 all have the bug...

No, same file. They repackaged it and re-uploaded it.

Download the 13.1's from their site again and you should be sorted

Andrew D &#8207;
@CatalystCreator
Win 8 users with HDMI audio issues - we've re-packaged the 13.1 Package with the proper files on http://amd.com ; problem is solved.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
All the mobility installer does is detect your system, download the matching Catalyst driver package (same as the desktop), and run it. It just adds another (unnecessary) step to the process.

If I download the 13.1 driver package that you get just by selecting Radeon 7000 series and install it does not work(Same driver package that is linked on various video card websites). If I select the notebook options I get a downloader. That downloader does not download the same 13.1 that you get from the aforementioned. You get an executable that has mobility in the name and the installation works without issue. Some websites also host the both the regular 13.1 and the mobility 13.1 and let you pick to download one or the other. This is all first hand experience. They are absolutely not the same.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
If I download the 13.1 driver package that you get just by selecting Radeon 7000 series and install it does not work(Same driver package that is linked on various video card websites). If I select the notebook options I get a downloader. That downloader does not download the same 13.1 that you get from the aforementioned. You get an executable that has mobility in the name and the installation works without issue. Some websites also host the both the regular 13.1 and the mobility 13.1 and let you pick to download one or the other. This is all first hand experience. They are absolutely not the same.

...you're right. The mobility client downloaded a different driver package, which was actually detected. Though the mobility driver still has the HDMI audio problem.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
BF3 is crashing on me and I keep getting exception errors when I shutdown windows. back to 12.11 Beta 8.

I haven't had this issue with my 7950.

Only issue that I currently have is my monitor not going into sleep mode fully.

fluffmonster

Sep 29, 2006
These drivers gave me artifacts on the 2D desktop, blockies mostly on the edges of open windows. Also had monitor sleep problems. Went back to 12.8 for now.

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
I haven't had this issue with my 7950.

Only issue that I currently have is my monitor not going into sleep mode fully.

Do you sometimes just get a black screen that still has the windows cursor on it? That drives me nuts :/ It seems to only happen if specific programs are running the background though, I haven't had time to sit down and really pin down whats causing it, but i've been seeing it at work too where we're using business class video cards and *definitely* not the latest drivers.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
These drivers gave me artifacts on the 2D desktop, blockies mostly on the edges of open windows. Also had monitor sleep problems. Went back to 12.8 for now.

Are you using flash in the background by any chance. I have noticed this one on 12.11 but I was running flash too.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Just to update, I've been running the 13.2's for a week now with no issues. Everything seems to perform well and stably, and Skyrim may be smoother although there's no way for me to objectively distinguish this or compare. I've also been mining 24/7 when I'm not gaming with no issue as well.