Catalyst 13.1 Out Now (New 13.2 Beta Links 3,4&5)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Why are you openly judging people who do a minute amount of extra work to have peace of mind? Why are you wasting your time asking them pointless questions?

I'm of the mindset that you do whatever works for you until it doesn't. If that works for people... what do you care what they do with their time?

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
Yes. Everyone immediately wants to blame the card/drivers. It could be the Card or the adapter (if used) or the monitor that is running out of spec.

I'm immediately blaming the drivers in this case because it *is the drivers*.

No, i'm not using displayport, i'm using DVI. I also spent near on three months troubleshooting this issue when I first built the PC when it was a known issue with the drivers at the time. The same thing happened on three different cards (two entirely separate MSI 7870 HAWK and a Gigabyte 7950), persisted through *three* complete format/reinstalls of windows, and went away completely the minute I installed 12.10. Yes, I tried the monitor with another PC, and it didn't do it. Yes, I tried another video card (a 5870) in the PC, and it didn't do it, nor does it do it using the ivy bridge I7's integrated graphics. Even the keyboard locks up, can't change the lights or the macro bays on my Sidewinder x4, but I *can* access shared folders over the network while its locked up. Yes, it still does it even if I use HDMI or VGA. Yes, it does it with two separate, known good PSUs. No, it's not easily reproducible, it'll hard lock one out of maybe 10 times the monitor turns itself off. System Sleep/Hibernate are both totally disabled, it is strictly the monitor "turn off after 15 minutes" setting in windows. Occasionally if I leave it sitting frozen long enough, it will throw a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD with error codes pointing to, you guessed it, the video card drivers.

I've been without this issue for months and months since installing 12.10. Not an hour after installing 13.1, it's back.

So yeah, maybe i'm not the one making unfounded assumptions about people here :(

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Most people just uninstall and reinstall new ones. I always uninstall, reboot pc in safe mode, and then use driver cleaner, boot back in to normal mode and install the new drivers.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
I skimmed through it... didn't see you mentioning anything concrete.
Uninstalling and running a cleaner should be a last resort.
You have — on the other hand — wasted a lot of time.
So why, again, are you wasting two minutes every time you install drivers?
Reading isn't that hard, man.
Most people just uninstall and reinstall new ones. I always uninstall, reboot pc in safe mode, and then use driver cleaner, boot back in to normal mode and install the new drivers.
Really? You really believe that most people bother uninstalling and reinstalling every time there's an update?

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Homeless, I HAVE read the entire thread. Not ONE of your posts suggests what people SHOULD do. All you do is say that using installers and driver cleaners are a waste of time and should only be used as a last resort.

Also, maybe it's just the internet playing Jedi mind tricks, but your tone comes off as arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.

So, AGAIN, what concrete, helpful steps do you recommend for when people want to update their drivers?

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
There are two options: you do a clean install, or you overwrite the old ones. If I'm suggesting that one is a waste of time, there's only room left for the other.

I don't know why that is so difficult for you and everyone else to comprehend.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yes most people on here do uninstall and reinstall being as they are build their own pc and configure it how they want.

Your saying it like there's a driver every week that this process becomes too laborious.

Last edited:

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
It's not laborious, it's just unnecessary. But yes, there are pretty frequent driver releases — more if you follow any of the unofficial releases that leak out of Guru3D.

And "most people" and "most people on here" are two different things.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I dunno but I guess to each his own. From being around computers so long and working on them all the time it's just habit for me to uninstall something before installing an update.

I don't really follow other driver releases as mostly play games and if I want to mess around and overclock then I start looking around for each driver capability

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
What's this ToastyX mod?

ToastyX developed tools for those of us with the semi-rare 120Hz IPS monitors (Overlord, or Catleap 2B) and his mods tweak the drivers to allow for the needed bandwidth to output 120Hz at 1440p.

My main monitor is the Overlord OC, so I like to be able to keep it running at 110-120Hz depending. ToastyX is one of the main reasons folks like me can do that.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
There are two options: you do a clean install, or you overwrite the old ones. If I'm suggesting that one is a waste of time, there's only room left for the other.

I don't know why that is so difficult for you and everyone else to comprehend.

It's amusing that you can't comprehend how as the communicator the onus is on you for presentation of your message. There is a way to say "Hey guys, just FYI, I've always had luck just overwriting the old drivers. Might be worth trying to save a couple minutes." as opposed to what you write, which is decidedly condescending in a forum where that tone is certainly antagonizing. Most folks here are not idiots. No need to talk to them like that, even if you think they are. Civility need not be precluded from our conversations simply because we're talking about cold technical stuff.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
I'm well aware of the tone of my writing.

Once again, you have managed to derail a thread and turn it into a squabble for your own amusement.

Also, your attitude is unwelcome here. Improve your attitude, or the moderators may have to boot you off this subforum.

AnandTech Forum Guidelines said:
We ask for respect and common decency towards your fellow forum members

You need a refresher on the AnandTech Forum Guidelines. Enjoy.

Moderator jvroig

Last edited by a moderator: