Catalyst 13.1 Out Now (New 13.2 Beta Links 3,4&5)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
By definition, 13.2 designates a February release. The "13" stands for the year 2013, the "2" stands for the second month.

To quote David Baumman:
Target for the driver Scott tested is still next week, we're just adding a different fix in that before release.
To me, the launch date seems a bit ambiguous. He said this on the 18th over at Beyond3D.

Last edited:

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Do you sometimes just get a black screen that still has the windows cursor on it? That drives me nuts :/ It seems to only happen if specific programs are running the background though, I haven't had time to sit down and really pin down whats causing it, but i've been seeing it at work too where we're using business class video cards and *definitely* not the latest drivers.

Yes. It happens without any programs running in the background.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
By definition, 13.2 designates a February release. The "13" stands for the year 2013, the "2" stands for the second month.

To quote David Baumman:

To me, the launch date seems a bit ambiguous. He said this on the 18th over at Beyond3D.
This nomenclature is used only for official drivers. Betas may arrive before such as 12.11 beta arrived in October.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Do you sometimes just get a black screen that still has the windows cursor on it? That drives me nuts :/ It seems to only happen if specific programs are running the background though, I haven't had time to sit down and really pin down whats causing it, but i've been seeing it at work too where we're using business class video cards and *definitely* not the latest drivers.

That's happened to me before.

Anyone else getting interface corruption in Firefox?

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
That's happened to me before.

No interface corruption in firefox, but the black screen issue seems to only happen on the last few PCs I purchased at work. All of them have AMD 5450's in them and since they're barely three months old, they probably have later drivers on them.

My money is on another AMD driver bug, at least this one is pretty benign.

pwoz

Aug 27, 2012

I have gotten this. I also get weird issues on jigzone.com with the new drivers, but only in Firefox. When I drag the pieces around they leave a trail of bits. Hard to do a puzzle like that. Seems fine otherwise, though.

Falcan

Jun 25, 2012
When I try to update to the 13.1 Drivers from 12.10, the installer says everything went ok, but when I reboot the drivers are not detected. Anyone else had this problem? I tried a few different times and then had to go back to 12.10.

Spideyknight

Jan 29, 2013
When I try to update to the 13.1 Drivers from 12.10, the installer says everything went ok, but when I reboot the drivers are not detected. Anyone else had this problem? I tried a few different times and then had to go back to 12.10.

A similar thing happens to me. Says Stand VGA, instead of Radeon 7900 series. I assumed it was due to a BIOS issue since I updated my BIOS yesterday and I hadn't had the problem before. I have a ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo with a radeon hd 7970 ghz edition. Updating from BIOS 1504 to 1805. It's a brand new system so I didn't have any drivers on there prior to installing the 13.1 drivers.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
New beta:

AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3 is now available, and includes the following updates:

Improves performance up to 15% in high MSAA cases for the Crysis 3 beta release
Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2
Improves single GPU performance up to 50% for DmC Devil May Cry
Improves CrossFire performance up to 10% for Crysis 2
Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst132BetaDriver.aspx

Dstoop

Sep 2, 2012
Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.
Hey look, exactly what we've been waiting for, and what we've had multiple threads about. I'm excited to give them a shot tonight. I'd love to know what they narrowed down to be the cause.

buklau

May 4, 2012
I will install the latest 13.2 beta3 when I get off work today. Hopefully that will resolve dx9.0c flicker problems. *finger-crossed :hmm:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Anyone know if you're supposed to run any CAPs along with these? (the new 13.2 beta 3's)

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Installed the driver and played Skyrim for about 10 minutes without a limiter.... Game seemed very smooth. Guess after over a year they finally fixed it...

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

Yes!

Hey look, exactly what we've been waiting for, and what we've had multiple threads about. I'm excited to give them a shot tonight. I'd love to know what they narrowed down to be the cause.

Exactly. I'm excited to try these out, given that they claim to specifically address DX9 flickering. Don't let me down, AMD!

The stuttering fix should be nice also; I was playing Skyrim the other day and I could feel the stuttering ever so slightly.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Regarding installation procedure: Is it safe to simply install 13.2 beta on top of 13.1?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Regarding installation procedure: Is it safe to simply install 13.2 beta on top of 13.1?

IIRC last time I tried installing a beta over a WHQL driver (a year or two ago) it didn't detect the beta drivers as being new. I've done clean installs of beta drivers ever since.

First impression: texture flickering in Mass Effect 2 appears reduced. There's still some noticeable flickering, but ME2 has always had a z-fighting issue in certain areas even when I played it on a 5770 and a 9800 GT; the 7000 series flickering issue seemed to amplify it. I have yet to test other areas.